Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,643 times

Advertisements

Looking at a job in Fresno, I have about 200k in CASH to buy a 2 plus acre ranch type home in one of the surrounding areas. [fought in mma for years, retired but would love to start a new gym for exercise]

My questions are:

weather?

Well water?

property tax?

Crime?

strong workers unions?

I speak Spanish, I'm a big strong white male who has lived in the 3rd world and the big city, no kids but have a girlfriend and a bunch of animals[she dosent speak spanish]

I love my guns but know Cali may force me to sell my beloved rifles, I feel I need them if I live near coyote, grizzly and have farm animals.

Found some really curious towns, Madera, Coarsegold, Hanford, visalea.

I want privacy, places to ride dirtbikes, shooting cans, Areas to hike, mountains.

I love rural country living and never go shopping, restaurants, clubbing or give a damn about partys or hip social scenes.

I'm sick of humid bug ridden old time politics southern usa.

I also believe that when the whole drug war ends [prob in 3-5 years] California's financial problems are going to alleviate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I love my guns but know Cali may force me to sell my beloved rifles, I feel I need them if I live near coyote, grizzly and have farm animals.
Why do you think you will have to sell your beloved rifles?

And one need not fear grizzlies. The ones near Fresno are quite tame and pose no danger to humans or farm animals.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Head for the hills north and east of Fresno (Oakhurst, Coaresgold, Bass Lake, Auberry, Yosemite Lakes, North Fork, Tollhouse, Shaver Lake). Much more scenic than the valley and overwhelmingly of your race/ethnicity (if that's important to you or your girlfriend). They're all an hour or less from Fresno/Clovis. Also, as Mr5150 said no one is going to make you sell your guns. Hunting and fishing are very popular activities in the Sierra. Get tired of those thinking California is some sort of communist police state.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why do you think you will have to sell your beloved rifles?

And one need not fear grizzlies. The ones near Fresno are quite tame and pose no danger to humans or farm animals.
Tame bears? ....or are you talking about the gang?

hmmm, so your saying I can keep my "assault rifles"

.....I need to be within 30 min of south west Fresno.

will check those areas, thanks for the reply. Thanks Beau!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Tame bears? ....or are you talking about the gang?

hmmm, so your saying I can keep my "assault rifles"

.....I need to be within 30 min of south west Fresno.

will check those areas, thanks for the reply. Thanks Beau!
I was joking about the bears. The grizzly bear was wiped out in CA by 1900.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
You may find Mariposa County to be exactly what you're looking for. It's a gun friendly county with a population of 18,000 residents. The town of Mariposa has 2 gun shops. Depending where a person lives in the county, you can comfortably drive to Fresno within an hour. Real estate prices are very reasonable by California standards, and homes with acreage are available in your price range.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
You may find Mariposa County to be exactly what you're looking for. It's a gun friendly county with a population of 18,000 residents. The town of Mariposa has 2 gun shops. Depending where a person lives in the county, you can comfortably drive to Fresno within an hour. Real estate prices are very reasonable by California standards, and homes with acreage are available in your price range.
Its 90 minutes (give or take) from Fresno, but I agree with your recommendation. Went to high school there. Folks lived there from 1974 to 1992.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
Beau,

I live in Mariposa County, not the town, and it takes me 50 min. to drive to River Park. Granted, it all depends where a person lives in the county and where they are going in Fresno. What is nice about Hwy 41 is once in Fresno you can stay on the hwy and get to most places rather quickly.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I was joking about the bears. The grizzly bear was wiped out in CA by 1900.
thats a shame, i was looking forward to shooting some....[JOKE]

OK, what about coyote and wild dogs?

looks like the ground water can be an issue?

what about cold wet winters?

Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I have a good friend who grew up in Visalia. Her family is still there, including her mother who loves it there and will never leave. Her family is a mix of Portugese and Mexican. They speak both and English. Visalia is about 45 minutes or more to Fresno.

About 6 months ago I looked at a senior low income apt complex in Orange Cove. Nice complex, very small Mexican town in the middle of orange groves. It is also about 45 minutes to Fresno. It felt too isolated for me. I lived in Mexico for a year, so the fact that it would have been like living in Mexico didn't bother me. It was just too far out there. Orange Cove also was run by a corrupt mayor for many, many years and he supposedly catered to the gangs, who pretty much ran the town, according to articles I read. There is a new police chief who is cleaning up the town.

Cold wet winters? Nah. Compared to where? Not right in the valley anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California