Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 21,682 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Northern/Central California. My husband is transferring there for his company. We have a 6 year old and a 2 month old. We were suppose to be relocating to Southern California and I found some great places, however, we were recently informed that he will be needed more north. Between Santa Barbara and San Jose. We are moving from a resort area on the Eastern Shore and really love the "beach lifestyle". Our son is in private school but with the cost of living in California being significantly higher, we are hoping to find somewhere that has excellent public schools. We want to find somewhere that has a very low crime rate. We are also hoping for that Southern California type feel/living and weather and would like to live in a neighborhood with other young families. We will be renting a single family home. Do any cities in that area match what we are looking for? We fell in love with Southern California the first time we went and were really looking forward to living there, but we don't know anything about anything more north. Any help and info will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Saratoga has excellent schools and a great area, but is $$$. For a beach lifestyle, you can try Santa Cruz, Aptos, and Soquel, but I don't know about the schools.

Look into San Luis Obispo also.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM

372 posts, read 576,032 times
How about the Central Coast? Arroyo Grande?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jridd713 View Post
We are moving from a resort area on the Eastern Shore and really love the "beach lifestyle". Our son is in private school but with the cost of living in California being significantly higher, we are hoping to find somewhere that has excellent public schools. We want to find somewhere that has a very low crime rate.
I'd suggest Alameda, which is beachy and safe and has excellent public schools, but it's a bit farther north than where you want to be.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
I second San Louis Obispo and surrounding area for the southern end.
And as mentioned, there is Santa Cruz, which is a bit costly but also 'packed' due to the university that is there. However, might look into Watsonville. It's not a big city but has everything.
There is also a good (Christian) school in Watsonville for grades 7-12.
I'm not from a religious up-bringing, but did attend school there for the educational value.
It is a good school and very family oriented. When I attended over 20 years ago, it was quite reasonable for a private school.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Between Santa Barbara and San Jose. That's a big stretch of coastline! But, it may be more convenient to be further north.

Okay, I would say no to Santa Cruz and that area, because of schools. You can always go visit the beach there, but I think you should live somewhere else for schools.

Can you afford Carmel? It's the ritziest town in the Monterey area. Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor, if I remember correctly. At any rate, it is a wonderful town. On the coast, but has a woodsy look and feel about it. Supposed to have fantastic schools. It is expensive. Decent weather. Not too cloudy. Also known for being a very dog-friendly town. Lots of charm, good restaurants.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ea+ca&tbm=isch

http://monterey.craigslist.org/searc..._type=&excats=

Another town in that same vicinity that has great schools, is Pacific Grove. Beautiful, quaint town. Only downside is that it is foggy and cloudy a LOT. Has it's own little micro-climate. But, you don't have to drive far to get into the sunshine. Might be worth living there for the schools - and it's a little less expensive than Carmel, as I understand it. My daughter's best friend lives there and her son is just thriving in the high school there (Pacific Grove). She is from Portland and doesn't like the clouds in PG, but is going to live there until her son graduates, because he's doing so well. He was a problem student when they moved to PG, and he has done a complete about-face.

PG is hilly with lots of Victorians and boutiques and farmer's market. Really nice town.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...66.41F9rtUA_GY

http://monterey.craigslist.org/searc..._type=&excats=

I think moving any further south would be too far. Even these towns will be a long commute. I lived in Santa Clara and would drive to visit my daughter in Monterey, and it took 1 1/2 hours, to give you an idea. That was during off-peak times.

There are options closer to San Jose, too. I was just focusing on beach towns that I know have great schools.

GreatSchools.org Search: carmel

GreatSchools.org Search: pacific grove

City of Carmel - Home Page

City of Pacific Grove : Home

Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
If you want so cal, then pick Santa Barbara. Anything else north of there, while very beautiful places, will not give you that so cal vibe. San Luis Obispo is a great college town and since it's mid coast, you could get to so cal to visit and be more influenced by it, potentially. It's probably your next best bet, after SB---based on your particular criteria. After that would be Monterrey area.

But N CA is completely different in nearly every way-culture, weather, geography, lifestyles, people....
You also will not get year round sunshine and the super mild temps that you do in so cal, anywhere north of SB, for the most part. [Though, winters are not terrible in the north; some areas have much more rain, or are in the trees which blocks sun access.]

Just google pics of these areas and you'll immediately see the difference in landscape, architecture, etc. They may be on the coast, but they are not like what you experienced in so cal.

SB is very expensive for most people-but if you can choose that option, it'll give you the so cal experience...Also, Carpenteria, the town just south of SB, is a little cheaper, if that is a factor at all. The schools in both places will vary/hit or miss. You can also check out Ojai/Venture, near SB-though maybe location is not a good match?

Also search the public charter schools in any given town or city. They're free and some are quite excellent. They're also open to anyone in the county or adjacent counties, so you don't need to live in that district to apply.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Saratoga has excellent schools and a great area, but is $$$. For a beach lifestyle, you can try Santa Cruz, Aptos, and Soquel, but I don't know about the schools.

Look into San Luis Obispo also.
These are on the beach, but not really beach lifestyle, like So CAL, as the poster mentioned...I don't think there's anything north that is similar...??? So you are right, SC area is probably closest-there are surfers-lol....

Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 21,682 times
I will check out all of these options. I appreciate the feedback. This is such a big move we really need as much information as possible!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
You aren't going to find the SoCal beach lifestlye in NorCal, just forget about that image of West LA, or Coastal OC within 400 miles of San Francisco, it simply doesn't exist. I lived in SF for 6 years and hated going to the beach when I lived there because it was always too cold, or foggy except for a small window during the Summer.

That being said, some of the central coast cities like Santa Cruz and Monterrey do have some charming beach communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California