Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 PM

53 posts, read 68,958 times

Advertisements

Are Californians worst off than the rest of the country when it comes to pollution? Especially the middle and lower class Californians in Los Angeles that can not afford to stay in the hills. Is the pollution level warranted enough in Los Angeles and elsewhere that it is an illogical place to reside? Does the health risk to living in these cities out weight the benefits?

Deadliest Air Pollution In U.S.: 10 Worst Cities (PHOTOS)

The huffington post article is an outlier in listing Phoenix AZ in top 10 deadliest air pollution.

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me...#axzz2tRtZeXH9

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Most Polluted Cities

Most polluted US cities by short-term particulate matter
Bakersfield-Delano, CA
Fresno-Madera, CA
Hanford-Corcoran, CA
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
Modesto, CA
Salt Lake City-Ogden-Clearfield, UT
Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA
Merced, CA
Fairbanks, AK
Logan, UT-ID

Most polluted US cities by ozone levels
Visalia-Porterville, CA
Bakersfield-Delano, CA
Fresno-Madera, CA
Hanford-Corcoran, CA
Sacramento—Arden-Arcade—Yuba City, CA-NV
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV
El Centro, CA

Most polluted US cities by year-round particulate matter
Bakersfield-Delano, CA

Merced, CA
Fresno-Madera, CA
Hanford-Corcoran, CA
Modesto, CA
Visalia-Porterville, CA
Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA
El Centro, CA
Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN

Last edited by unspeakable; 02-15-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Um, isn't Beverly Hills in the lowlands? As far as I know, we have not yet banished the poor people alone to places with pollution.

It's a personal choice. If the air bothers you, move.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
You need to live higher than the hills to avoid the stuff during a typical inversion in the basin/valleys. Just ask anyone in Sherman Oaks or Woodland Hills.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM

411 posts, read 719,747 times
based on the OP's list and common perception, parts of SoCal are the worst off. The rest of the state is doing fine

Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM

112 posts, read 212,617 times
The central valley is terrible. Lived my whole life there until we moved out of state. The difference in air quality is amazing.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Quote:
based on the OP's list and common perception, parts of SoCal are the worst off. The rest of the state is doing fine
I think you had better go back and re-read the list if you think that.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
When I was driving into Bakersfield for the first time ever I was confused. From far away I just seen this orange/yellow/brown haze way up ahead. As I got closer it disappeared. Then as I got through Bakersfield and looked in my rear view mirror the haze returned. I only drove through and didn't have any breathing problems but living there I'm thinking maybe the residents do, or they are immune to it by now.

Wouldn't stop me from living there though, beats the state I live in now but that's not saying much.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
When I was driving into Bakersfield for the first time ever I was confused. From far away I just seen this orange/yellow/brown haze way up ahead. As I got closer it disappeared. Then as I got through Bakersfield and looked in my rear view mirror the haze returned. I only drove through and didn't have any breathing problems but living there I'm thinking maybe the residents do, or they are immune to it by now.

Wouldn't stop me from living there though, beats the state I live in now but that's not saying much.
Well, you know, if you really want that cheap ranch house and a few acres, you adapt.

"Can't trust air ya can't see!"

But, there appears to be hope. Or, "It's bad, but it was way worse not long ago."
Quote:
Bakersfield's unhealthy ozone days have dropped 44 percent since from the Lung Association's 1996-1998 data.
Bakersfield pollution again ranked nation's worst - BakersfieldCalifornian.com

Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
But, there appears to be hope. Or, "It's bad, but it was way worse not long ago."
The ozone levels have dropped quite a lot the past two decades in the Central Valley. Better smog controls on newer cars. That's even with the population growing so much. Imagine what it would be like if it had grown at a more moderate rate (like the national average) instead of doubling the last 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California