Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I've used Ridgecrest as an overnight stop on my way to Death Valley a few times. Rather sad looking place IMO. Unless you are military or work for the Dept. of Defense as a civilian, I can't imagine living there voluntarily.
I followed my mother up there when I decided I needed to gather my ducks so I could save and leave CA. It was way cheap. First, it was free with Mama, whose house was only $109K when she bought it in 2003, and then $200/mo with some roommates. I volunteered for "cheap", to use as my escape pod.

But of course, it didn't work out that way. I stayed three years, found a wife, some life-long friends, and a cache of memories.

I wouldn't voluntarily live there again, but I do think it is a good candidate for simple living folks who like heat. There are ways to insulate yourself from the negatives in my list.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:41 PM

649 posts, read 1,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If you like desert living, you'll like Ridgecrest. The eastern Sierras aren't too far away, and making the run back to Las Vegas to visit family/friends isn't very far either. Take a drive out there some weekend and check it out.
what???? try 5 hours if i remember right. i lived there years ago so unless they moved the towns it was at 2.5 to anything in any direction if you wanted big shopping. palmdale is at least a 2 hour drive and that's the closest mall. but Vagas is 5 hours away so i don't think anyone would say that that is "not so far away"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Ridgecrest has excellent proximity to Death Valley, Panamint & Argus Mtn. ranges...think camping, hiking, off-roading...but you have to like being outdoors, appreciate the desert, & have tolerance for very hot temperatures. It can get somewhat cold (for SoCal) in winter, and don't forget the wind....

Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM

260 posts, read 656,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
to do:
-make babies, preferably with multiple partners
-sit at the welfare office
-ride quads/dirtbikes
-go to the bar and get in a fight in time for last call
-sit at the ER
-work, if you're in the top 10% of Ridgecresters who are lucky to even have the willpower/cognition to even work
-go out of town
-go camping
-go to court
-BBQ
-go to the movies
-move to San Diego
-go eat
-go to the library
-work on your car
-work on your lawn at 1 AM
-party with friends with alcohol and/or drugs
-go to Mojave/Lerdo/Wasco/Folsom/San Quentin (likelihood in that order) to pickup your friend from jail or prison
-get a hooker at the Rose Garden Inn
-play video games
-sniff paint

not necessarily in that order

There's plenty to freaking do.

Shopping? Who needs shopping when you've got Wal-Mart?
They also have an awesome target shooting/archery club/range for those who like to do so. That is where I go for such activities

Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
to do:
-make babies, preferably with multiple partners
-sit at the welfare office
-ride quads/dirtbikes
-go to the bar and get in a fight in time for last call
-sit at the ER
-work, if you're in the top 10% of Ridgecresters who are lucky to even have the willpower/cognition to even work
-go out of town
-go camping
-go to court
-BBQ
-go to the movies
-move to San Diego
-go eat
-go to the library
-work on your car
-work on your lawn at 1 AM
-party with friends with alcohol and/or drugs
-go to Mojave/Lerdo/Wasco/Folsom/San Quentin (likelihood in that order) to pickup your friend from jail or prison
-get a hooker at the Rose Garden Inn
-play video games
-sniff paint

not necessarily in that order

There's plenty to freaking do.

Shopping? Who needs shopping when you've got Wal-Mart?
WHAT???

How could you ever forget visiting with your probation officer???

You better go back for a visit

Old 04-01-2015, 05:03 PM

260 posts, read 656,975 times
My kids also love to get a big bag of carrots and feed the Mustangs at the BLM holding facility a few miles east of downtown, sometimes one of the wild ones will even let you touch them. My profile name is actually after a Mustang we adopted out of those corrals.
For living in the high desert, Ridgecrest would be my choice, especially since it is close to the recreational areas where we like to escape the heat, but it is too far away from hubby's work so we live 45 min south of Ridgecrest.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
WHAT???

How could you ever forget visiting with your probation officer???

You better go back for a visit
I also forgot: go to Lake Isabella.

I'll be there this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California