Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
If a big megathrust earthquake hits, some communities could be cut off for months, or at least largely cut off... I guess there's always helicopters and boats. Fishermen may end up being the real heros in such an event with ships being one of the main ways to move cargo. I would suggest being ready to raise some of your food and/or forage for some. At the very least, try to have some edible landscape in your yard and/or know where some is in a nearby park you can walk to. I think communities should prepare by planting edible landscape on public properties. The "ornamental" brassicas can also be eaten by the way, no matter how "ornamental" they appear and they can be around all year.... a superfood perfect for people under high stress.. protein, vitamins, high chlorophyll (keeps your iron up). Having some seeds on hand is also a great idea. I always have salad mesclun mix seeds, kale seeds, lettuce seeds.... easy to grow and grow extremely fast. If a major earthquake hits, one of the first things I will do is plant some seeds.

Spirulina tablets or spirulina powder is another good option as it has a higher protein content than meat, is a complete protein, and of course is loaded with bioavailable vitamins and antioxidants.
freepelican, I do not know if you are up here in Humboldt county yet. If you are, go to the library in Eureka and look up the 1955 and 1964 floods, you will be comforted by the resilience and independence of Humboldt county residents. The 55 and 64 floods hit the county hard, but so did the 92 Petrolia earthquakes. I have been here 22 years and have felt three quakes over 7 and am sure I will feel more. A great book to read about the potential for an entire north coast earthquake and tsunami is " Cascadia's Fault: The Earthquake and Tsunami That Could Devastate North America", by Simon Winchester . He also wrote a great book about Krakatoa. I have a good friend who is 87 and she and I share books on earthquakes and do what we can to help people be prepared. I am neighborhood watch block captain and have a list of neighbors to contact in an emergency. I hope you are enjoying our beautiful spring and all the rhododendrons blooming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
freepelican
Quote:
At the very least, try to have some edible landscape in your yard and/or know where some is in a nearby park you can walk to.
Excellent advice,but what about in SOCAL? With the water restrictions are residents even allowed/able to grow veggies,besides those edible ornamentals that you mentioned?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
12 posts and no one has mentioned guns or ammo. Is this really C-D?!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
If you have 30 gallons of water stored, a first aid kit, and dried
out food supplies for 7 days packed, you're probably ahead of
99% of the people in California when it comes to preparedness.

I have a supply "cave" underneath one of the bays in my garage
and the only thing stored inside of it is emergency supplies in the
event of a catastrophic event (earthquake, tsunami, fires, etc).

Well there's also a bunch of synthetic motor oil stored in there,
but I consider that an emergency supply of sorts.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
12 posts and no one has mentioned guns or ammo. Is this really C-D?!
Guns and a lot of ammo Seriously though lol.... 1k each gun for me!

And a 4x4 truck so you can get to arizona!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
a rifle cross bow

a supplied cabin type boat........4x4 truck, fuel & oil for truck & boat.

C- rations.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
and of course, TP

With Hefty bags to line the toilet. If the water supply is taken out.... can't flush the john.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
freepelican

Excellent advice,but what about in SOCAL? With the water restrictions are residents even allowed/able to grow veggies,besides those edible ornamentals that you mentioned?
While I'm not familiar with native SOCAL vegetation, I'm sure there are native plant societies in the region with knowledgeable people would know the best native edible plants that would thrive in the drier conditions there.

Community cisterns might be a good idea too and of course water storage including rain barrels at home.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
a rifle cross bow
Okay Daryl from the Walking Dead.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Okay Daryl from the Walking Dead.
yo bro/sis......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California