Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That list ranks metropolitan areas, not individual cities. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont MSA =/= Oakland by itself.
Yeah unfortunately this guy is right.

Oakland usually gets lumped in with San Francisco and Fremont and occasionally the South Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Yeah unfortunately this guy is right.

Oakland usually gets lumped in with San Francisco and Fremont and occasionally the South Bay.
Even so? San Francisco? Who wants to live in a city where a 1 bedroom costs as much as a mansion in most other states? A place filled with pretentious D-bags sipping lattes. A place with zero culture. Again, that list is a joke.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:42 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orodlsp View Post
Texas has large inferiority complex with California. The two states are part of the same family of states which were founded at similar times and came into the union to some degree by the same folks. Now, CA seem to get the looks and the brains. Texas got the heart and toughness, certainly not the looks or brains.

Lately Texas has been trying to bring it's self up by bringing others down. We all know this never works. Texas should be thankful that it's sister state sends it people who make Austin what it is.
And who exactly is "bringing others down?"

I've lived both places. There are brilliant, good looking and tough folks in both states. As for Austin, it is "what it is" because of Austin, not anything California has done. It was Austin looooong before the mass exodus from CA.

Have you ever actually lived in Texas?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You question the motivation and relevance and knowledge of a 2x Pulitzer Prize winning editorialist from Seattle, WA posting comment observations about California and Texas in a Baltimore, MD newspaper - and now you suggest that you know the OP has only a high school education (as opposed to his having stated he has multiple graduate college degrees).

But wait! There's more! As they say on the Tee-Vee box. You also are suggesting that a high school education makes a person dumb while college makes a person smart!? Dear heart, some of the dumbest people on this planet are college graduates. Some of the smartest never graduated even high school.

But I do want to thank you - and the great state of Texas, both - and I am sure I speak for most of the readers on this forum when I say: you are a unique individual and the forum would not be nearly as fun were it not for your contributions to California dialogue. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
I call it like it is.

If looks like a duck, quacks like one and walks like one it most likely is one.

I like how you are trying to justify an assumption that I never made.

And no way does a college education make a person smart...have you forgotten about George W. Bush or Dan Quayle?

But hey if you have the supposed degrees the OP stated then why post like someone with a HS Educational Attainment level would? At least you should understand that posting credible links is important.

Do you comprehend now? Why does everything have to be spoon fed to you?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Even so? San Francisco? Who wants to live in a city where a 1 bedroom costs as much as a mansion in most other states? A place filled with pretentious D-bags sipping lattes. A place with zero culture. Again, that list is a joke.
Well yes, but it also has way less gun shots, and gang warfare than Oakland. It's easier to stomach living there because it's way less violent.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:09 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Well yes, but it also has way less gun shots, and gang warfare than Oakland. It's easier to stomach living there because it's way less violent.
That doesn't excuse it! You are an arrogant fool. I believe TX has more going for it than you think and pretty people ARE Texans. Not that I will move to Texas but I have to call out the arrogance here.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 AM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
^This.

LOLOL.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Let's see. Opinions of David Horsey, a Pulitzer Prize winning political cartoonist, are a joke. Contrasted with, say, the opinions of random men / women on the street posting on an anonymous Internet forum. OK!

And a positive change of 4% in the employment rate of a state doesn't represent growth. This observation also from one of those random anonymous forum posters. OK!

And I suppose those employment growth statistics sourced from Arizona State University are also a joke.
The guy is a CARTOONIST and after reviewing his analysis I can safely say that all he did was take some of the same bad arguments that the pro-Texas model use and turn right around and use them from the other direction.

However, in his complete defense he CLEARLY states that these stats really prove nothing and IMO is just trying to show how absurd some of the arguments are.

Basically, like any great humorist\satirist....his entire article is meant to lampoon but some of the posters have clearly missed that. He even tells you up front that essentially the political leanings blind both sides to seeing the reality....which is evident when you read this thread.

P.S. CA has a staggering debt problem, that they haven't quite run out of borrowing sources like IL has means they haven't had to make the tough cuts yet. That's important to note as two identical states...one making cuts and one borrowing more are addressing the same issues (or deferring the pain for later). I can't give people a gold star for kicking the can down the road.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The guy is a CARTOONIST and after reviewing his analysis I can safely say that all he did was take some of the same bad arguments that the pro-Texas model use and turn right around and use them from the other direction.

However, in his complete defense he CLEARLY states that these stats really prove nothing and IMO is just trying to show how absurd some of the arguments are.

Basically, like any great humorist\satirist....his entire article is meant to lampoon but some of the posters have clearly missed that. He even tells you up front that essentially the political leanings blind both sides to seeing the reality....which is evident when you read this thread.

P.S. CA has a staggering debt problem, that they haven't quite run out of borrowing sources like IL has means they haven't had to make the tough cuts yet. That's important to note as two identical states...one making cuts and one borrowing more are addressing the same issues (or deferring the pain for later). I can't give people a gold star for kicking the can down the road.
Basically I agree with your observations. Horsey was satirizing. I'm not SURE why you capitalized "CARTOONIST". But one would suspect you are making a statement that this somehow disqualifies Horsey from having serious or valid observations? Which is pretty close to why I challenged the other poster.

Understand please that Horsey didn't draw on bathroom walls to win two Pulitzer Prizes and be published in 450 newspapers and be invited to write editorial opinion as well. That requires broad acknowledgement of him being at a level of journalism that requires understanding of the issues in depth that he comments on. The ability to sum up issues into concise graphics is a special, and very highly regarded, talent.

None of what I am pointing out makes his opinion more than opinion. But it does make it highly recognized EXPERT opinion. To disagree is fine. To dismiss as worthless bespeaks a lack of understanding of his craft.

I don't care about the Texas / California rivalry - except for its amusement value. And I certainly was / am amused by the OP's contribution of Horsey to the fun

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I call it like it is.

If looks like a duck, quacks like one and walks like one it most likely is one.

I like how you are trying to justify an assumption that I never made.

And no way does a college education make a person smart...have you forgotten about George W. Bush or Dan Quayle?

But hey if you have the supposed degrees the OP stated then why post like someone with a HS Educational Attainment level would? At least you should understand that posting credible links is important.
Ah. Except of course, you just repeated your arrogant assumption. Do you see? "- if you have degrees, why post like you only have a HS diploma." College = smarter than HS.

Except it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California