Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bes Californian Skyline
Los Angeles 9 17.31%
San Diego 7 13.46%
San Jose 0 0%
San Francisco 35 67.31%
Fresno 0 0%
Long Beach 0 0%
Sacramento 1 1.92%
Oakland 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Golden State Plaza (aka Del Webb Building).

There's been nothing on par with it since it was built in the mid 1960s. The federal courthouse not withstanding (it gets its height from various design elements, not from "floors"), most of the new buildings are pretty "low rise". In my opinion Fresno has the most underutilized, unimpressive downtown of any city of a half million people in the country.
Meh. Having worked in the Del Webb building myself, I can tell you I'd MUCH rather work in a newer building even if it's shorter. And downtowns should be built for function and need, not for being "impressive." Having attractive skylines is a nice bonus, but not a reason for building unnecessary structures. If Fresno built a bunch of high rises downtown that looked IMPRESSIVE but stayed empty and bankrupted the investors, then the city would get blasted for that, too. Can't win either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
huh? what are you saying?

It's unfair to compare complete skylines of some cities to partial downtown photos of others.

Oakland:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...akland-sky.jpg

http://www.eastbayeda.org/images/liv...nHillsWide.jpg

http://204.12.100.12/cms/images/lake...t-panorama.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6051/6...2fd76972_z.jpg

San Francisco:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5003/5...e9e2a07e_z.jpg

http://www.sjphoto.com/20120707_san-...ht_0027-31.jpg

I'll go with San Francisco and San Diego. I think the beauty of a skyline is enhanced when it's closer to the waterfront.
I can see the Oakland skyline from my window. I'm not comparing pics lol.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM

677 posts, read 852,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Sorry, I think San Francisco has a better skyline than NYC. NYC just has too many buildings and not enough natural beauty. San Francisco is certainly dense and architecturally impressive, but it also is right on the Bay, surrounded by hills, trees, the ocean...not just some manmade park. Chicago is better than San Francisco's simply because more, taller buildings but not as many as NYC, and it is right on the lake and has many trees.
This post makes me smile - like in the movie "Amadeus" when the court composer says of Mozart's music - too many notes. If SF keeps building high-rises (which it is), then doesn't it stand to reason that it too will have too many buildings? But really, define "better" skyline. And much of the vegetation around the City is also just as "manmade" as Central Park...
Upper and Lower New York Bay, the Hudson River, the Palisades and the NJ Highlands in the hinterland and the ocean are all there around NYC, in case you haven't noticed. The GW and Verrazano Narrows bridges, and many others spanning the East River are equally iconic to SF's two notable spans.
There is no lack of natural beauty around NYC, and the skyline? Well that remains in the eye of the beholder. New York is better than Chicago because it has more buildings, but not as many as Hong Kong, and it is right on three rivers and a natural harbor, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:54 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Los Angeles has a skyline?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
This post makes me smile - like in the movie "Amadeus" when the court composer says of Mozart's music - too many notes. If SF keeps building high-rises (which it is), then doesn't it stand to reason that it too will have too many buildings? But really, define "better" skyline. And much of the vegetation around the City is also just as "manmade" as Central Park...
Upper and Lower New York Bay, the Hudson River, the Palisades and the NJ Highlands in the hinterland and the ocean are all there around NYC, in case you haven't noticed. The GW and Verrazano Narrows bridges, and many others spanning the East River are equally iconic to SF's two notable spans.
There is no lack of natural beauty around NYC, and the skyline? Well that remains in the eye of the beholder. New York is better than Chicago because it has more buildings, but not as many as Hong Kong, and it is right on three rivers and a natural harbor, etc. etc. etc.
Guess we can agree to disagree. Chicago's skyline just looks more impressive to me. New York City has too many buildings for my taste and a severe lack of more greenery.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
LOL that someone voted for Sac!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
San Francisco's for sure. San Diego's would be my next favorite. SD probably would have passed SF a while ago if it weren't for the proximity of the airport.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
San Francisco's for sure. San Diego's would be my next favorite. SD probably would have passed SF a while ago if it weren't for the proximity of the airport.
1. San Francisco or San Diego
3. Los Angeles
4. Oakland
5. Sacramento
6. Long Beach
7. San Jose
8. Fresno

Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 PM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
SF.. the rest arent even close.. LA is number 2

Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Mountain Ranch.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Californian Skyline-skmbt_c20313050307520.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California