Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:56 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Not pertinent to my point.

Yet all completely pertinent to my point about your impertinent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
I also don't see guns as the issue here, especially since I think the first three victims were stabbed. Of course a gun makes killing easier and more detached, but for insane individuals this isn't really a major issue.

Tough issue to sort out. A lot of guys and girls deal with rejection and being lonely but don't become killers. The percentage who do is so small that you hate to start to focus in on and demonize certain personalities. Also, I don't think blaming the parents is an accurate approach, in his case wasn't he in therapy to try and help him out?

His video is really chilling, just can see the complete detachment from reality. He speaks in absolutes, as someone who would have some control issues. I agree with the observations that if he actually had a girlfriend, she probably would have to go into the witness protection program if she broke up with him.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:00 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
how true this is: My heart goes out to everyone involved in these tragedies and I do wonder when we will go back to teaching our kids, damn it Life isn't always fair and no, you cant have everything you want: yes, some people will not always like you and yes, competition is what keeps us going. Our great granddaughter plays soccer on a team of kids from 6 to 8 years old, the only catch, no one ever wins or loses a game. The big people just want them to have fun and not feel inferior to others.
Nita, when you visit California boards, can you please not feed the trolls?

Thank you.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:30 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
lets sort out this leftist "logic" here:

1. you can't ban drugs because people will get them anyway.

2. you can magically ban firearms and there will be no shootings.

yup. go ask anyone in latin america how that whole gun ban thing is coming along.

it's a proven fact that people that are afraid of firearms are:

1. scared they'll use one to commit suicide

2. terrified their spouse will murder them

go away with your little irrational fears, guns don't kill people, people kill people. what next? should we ban large rocks, steak knives, automobiles, plastic bags, belts (all things that are "leathal")?
Why don't we ask people who live in industrialized nations, similar to the US? Is it because gun homicide rates in those countries are FAR FAR lower than ours, borderline non-existent? Is it because their homicide rates (all types of weapons) are far lower as well? Of course it is.

When the United States, the richest nation on Earth, has to look at violent crime rates in developing nations to feel good about itself, there's a problem.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 05-25-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,728 times
And I thought Santa Barbara was one of the safest places in California??????

Denied again by people he hated, gunman improvised#

Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
If this isn't proof of how current liberal thinking is damaging the world.

Elliot Rodgers is the personification of liberalism in 21st century America and its damaging effects on the youth of this country.
You become more and more remarkable with every post.
Quote:
I don't know what else to say.
Good. Then we're done seeing your extraordinarily ignorant nonsense here?
But why do I doubt this?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,906 times
There's so much I want to say about post after post after post after post after moronic post on this thread, but I'll just say this: There have always been crazy, angry jerks in this world, and there always will be.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,565 times
Im a gun owner and I am very against banning any of them but they really need to step up the background checks. This kid had been seeing psychiatrists since he was 8 years old and had a history of mental illness. Why in the hell did this not show up on his background check when he bought any one of his 3 handguns during his 10 day waiting period? Thats one major problem with this state, none of the people involved did their jobs correctly and this nut job ended up with guns but they want to blame the guns and not the much bigger issue at hand, that dumbass people didn't do their jobs and make sure he wasn't able to purchase one. By the way, he also killed 3 people with a knife. Want to start banning knives too?

Old 05-25-2014, 04:31 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very sad
Thank you. How can it be that in light of this news that this kind of response can be, for want of a better term, refreshing? As someone with a mentally ill family member, much of this commentary triggers a sharp rue in me that yearns for the power to psychicly share experience. But my better nature would never wish that kind of comprehension on anyone.

So from our keyboards let's continue to blame the parents, blame the family, blame society, make the workings of the world all magically better under rule of our absolute, sovereign imaginations. Send your suggestions to all the victims. They'll appreciate it.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,372 times
Default Behind many a bully hides a sociopath... ironic, ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As you have waited so patiently with deep understanding of pain and loss and anger - to join the completely absurd dog-pile of politicizing mental-illness. No doubt your viewpoint comes from a deep personal life of experience with psychological disturbance?

As I previously pointed out:
the world's most historically infamous mass-murderders, from Ivan the Terrible to Pol Pot to Idi Amin to Adolf Hitler to Lizzie Borden to John Wayne Gacy - etc etc etc -- all have what in common? Liberal upbringing? Anti-gun households?

Disclaimer: I am a gun owner, almost certainly with exponentially more rounds fired, literally many, many tons worth, than anyone on this board. I have no anti-gun legislation agenda. I have an anti-stupid statements agenda.
Huzza. The difference between mental illness and politics is the difference between sentimentality and homicide... push the former far enough and it runs over the latter.

They make more 'stupid' every day. Moronic statements by folks who by every account but their own should know better abound on these and every other forum and in every other walk of life everywhere, always... more's the pity. No worries... 'twas ever thus. The pathetic taint and utter lack of credibility of such posts from ExeterMedia and Earn Your Own Keep is as fixed in concrete as the stubbornly dedicated efforts of guys like these to bully others by hammering away at others with whom they disagree with cliche, false accusation, ad hominum attack and simplistic, hostile generalization that is the hallmark of not only the bully, but the misanthropic sociopath... these guys share a lot more with Elliot Rodgers than they'd like to admit... 'human bigots' for want of a better term.

Tulemutt, I'd gamble we are pretty close as far as tons of bullets, shot and slugs fired... I'm only 53 so there's many a shot to fire before I eject my final round, no pun intended. As a lifelong gun owner and someone who's used one in his professional life for decades, had an LTC/CCW in seventeen states, a former longtime student of Masaad Ayoob (Wikipedia the guy) at the Lethal Force Institute in Concord, NH, a recovery agent for several Bail Bondsman AND someone who has BEEN SHOT more than once I'm the *last* guy to want my rights as a gun owner abrogated in any manner... this is no more a political football for Gun Rights/Gun Control than Caribbean Cruise Lines is about maritime navigation. This individual had so many demons in his head it's a f*cking wonder he could hear anything over their screams... in the hands of a violently insane person or a sociopath ANYTHING can become a weapon, as I've personally learned many times over the years.

Including these august C-D forums... case in point.

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 05-25-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California