Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
Definitely... but, they're actually Black Bears.
If you encounter one in the wild, don't run; You'll trigger their predator drive and they'll come after you.
Make yourself big... grab a stick, a limb... put you arms in the air, make noise.
I've heard that with bears you can drop and play dead, but I dunno if I'd try that right after they're get out of hibernation. They're hungry then!
Drop and play dead only works with brown (Grizzly) Bears. In the rare event that a Black Bear does attact, you're supposed to fight it off as best you can. use a weapon to do so if you have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM

43 posts, read 94,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Maybe it was an elk? They are in that area.
I think it must have been, now that I realize they are there. I saw a few crossing warning signs that looked like a picture of a moose, lol, must be for the elk instead of deer. Hubby said something about looking up something called a mule deer I think?

The guy was lucky he was in a truck, a small car and he may not have walked away from it. Totaled his truck. After that every dark area of the road looked like blood spots or spatter to me It was at night and kinda freaky. Now I drive a bit under the limit and pull over at the turn outs, lol, not taking chances!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
I do enjoy bare wrestling with my squeeze.
And she do get pretty brown when we do it in the sun a lot.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I do enjoy bare wrestling with my squeeze.
And she do get pretty brown when we do it in the sun a lot.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 38,518 times
I have grown up 40 min. south of Yosemite and now live 20 min. below big trees state park in Calaveras County. I have seen many different types of bears as a child up and until now. They have no problem getting in your garbage for some snacks, and for the most part I have never seen any acting violent, but then again, I never tried to get their attention. As for mountain lions, my SO has seen one in our gated community in someones front yard! It was around the time of the Rim Fire so I think it was escaping the fire. When I jog or hike I always carry bear mace with me, and my dog is with me always and she can usually hear and smell anything and alert me so we can high tail it out of there. I would def be more concerned with lion than a bear, as lions stalk their prey and we have had an alert in our neighborhood not to let our dogs out without a leash even if you have a fenced yard because so many were being eaten. My advice is never go alone and don't wear headphones so you can hear every little thing going on around you. And pack that bear mace and I am not talking about the little cans from savemart you gotta get the legit kind!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Default ca. golden bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf72 View Post
Hi moving to northern California, I love being in the wilderness, are there brown bears? or are there many black bear attacks on campers? ~ Thanks alot , I am talking six rivers or siskiyou area tip top Nor Cal , thanks alot
You might see one of these from time to time too.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I've always loved all the "Bear Art" merchants place on the streets of Grants Pass, OR...

City of Grants Pass : Evergreen Federal Bank's 80th Anniversary Celebration

Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Yes. Many people love bare art. Although what constitutes a tasteful definition of such art remains constitutionally controversial.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. Many people love bare art. Although what constitutes a tasteful definition of such art remains constitutionally controversial.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
that's just weird….. whatever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California