Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Clarita 7 35.00%
Laguna Niguel 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 PM

13 posts, read 60,831 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I want to know which area you would rather live if you were to raise a family. For Santa Clarita, I'm specifically talking about the Valencia/Stevenson Ranch area, and if you were to commute to northern Los Angeles for work. And for Laguna Niguel (or any other town close by) if you were to commute to Irvine for work. Do nearby amenities play an important role for where you'd rather live? Even though the schools in both areas are supposed to be great, do you prefer one area's schools over the other? And factoring in cost of living and taxes for both areas, does that play an important role for you too? Please let me know which area you'd prefer. Any comments will be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I would pick Laguna, for the weather, for one.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,565 times
Irvine is always listed as one of the best and safest cities in the country to live in. Laguna Niguel is always very clean and safe and it's a short trip to some of the best beaches in the world. LA....none of the above. It's not even close. Irvine and Laguna will be more expensive though.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Gee I wonder which one I would prefer...

Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Wouldn't want to live in either, but if I had to pick one, it would be Santa Clarita. Mainly because one doesn't have to go as far to escape from the BS there

Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Educated/skilled people who make or made a good living and who raised or are raising kids, and have high standards, I don't see how that's BS.

Boring? Yes.
Beautiful? Yes.
Clean? Yes.
BS? I don't see it.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Educated/skilled people who make or made a good living and who raised or are raising kids, and have high standards, I don't see how that's BS.

Boring? Yes.
Beautiful? Yes.
Clean? Yes.
BS? I don't see it.
True. He said Laguna Niguel or any town close by, which would include Laguna Beach. Nothing boring about Laguna Beach. World class resorts, amazing beaches, art galleries, boutiques, every type of restaurant you can imagine and one of the best downtowns on either coast. Arguably one of the finest cities in the country.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
not to knock santa clarita, but a better comparison to Laguna Niguel in the LA area is Thousand Oaks in my opinion. TO is relatively close to the beach and real estate prices are more in line with South OC. The major difference for TO vs. LN is commute times. It's much easier to get to Irvine from LN than to any major job centers in LA from TO (or Santa Clarita for that matter).

Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
not to knock santa clarita, but a better comparison to Laguna Niguel in the LA area is Thousand Oaks in my opinion. TO is relatively close to the beach and real estate prices are more in line with South OC. The major difference for TO vs. LN is commute times. It's much easier to get to Irvine from LN than to any major job centers in LA from TO (or Santa Clarita for that matter).
Agreed--Santa Clarita is more comparable to Temecula or Murrieta than it is to Irvine and Laguna Niguel, especially in terms of housing costs, weather, people, etc., and a better comparsion would be Thousand Oaks vs. Irvine/Laguna Niguel.

Although I'd live in Santa Clarita if I worked in Burbank or maybe Glendale and wanted to live in a suburban environment, Santa Clarita feels a little more "gritty," if you will, than most upscale suburban communities in Orange and Ventura Counties, consistent with, say, Rancho Cucamonga. I've noticed that the nicer suburban communities in LA and SB Counties in particular seem a little less polished overall than those in Orange, Ventura, and even Riverside Counties. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that if I wanted the full suburban experience, I'd avoid Santa Clarita, unless, of course, it was the most practical option given the location of my work.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,985 times
I'll take Santa Clarita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California