Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 21,602 times

Advertisements

I really do want to go out of state, but my parents want me to atleast visit some of the good universities in California before I decide that I want to leave. Besides the obvious ones (Berkeley, Davis, San Diego, etc.) that are a little too big for me (since I'm from Norco) what are some good universities to check out? I want to look into UC Irvine, Cal Poly SLO, Cal State Monterey Bay and such, but I'm not sure I'll even like them. :/
-from a horrified senior who has no idea where she wants to go to college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
It looks like you are only considering state schools? No private?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 PM

Private would still be fine I just don't know much about the good California private schools, so any firsthand knowledge would be super appreciated!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Do you know what you want to study? That might narrow things down.

Smaller private schools, off the top of my head: University of the Pacific (Stockton), Dominican (San Rafael), St. Mary's (Moraga), Pepperdine (Malibu).

Smaller public schools: Sonoma State, CSU Channel Islands, CSU Monterey Bay, Humboldt State, UC Merced.

But if you're truly undecided, it never hurts to start out at your nearest community college and then go from there.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehyn View Post
I really do want to go out of state, but my parents want me to atleast visit some of the good universities in California before I decide that I want to leave. Besides the obvious ones (Berkeley, Davis, San Diego, etc.) that are a little too big for me (since I'm from Norco) what are some good universities to check out? I want to look into UC Irvine, Cal Poly SLO, Cal State Monterey Bay and such, but I'm not sure I'll even like them. :/
-from a horrified senior who has no idea where she wants to go to college
Well, there is always my old Alma Mater (and Obama's) Occidental, in Los Angeles. Then there is that cluster of schools in the Redlands area. Cant remember the names of all of them, but they are good. As private schools they are all expensive as well.

My opinion, based upon lifelong experience, is that you can get a good education anyplace, so long as you remain focused. Dont be afraid to challenge yourself. If money is an issue, start at your local community college, take courses that help you practice communicating effectively, and take a science course or two to learn how science works, so you can distinguish between junk science and the good stuff.

Best wishes.

PS is Norco's Best Burgers still around? mmmmmmmmmmm ...........

Old 07-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Well, there is always my old Alma Mater (and Obama's) Occidental, in Los Angeles. Then there is that cluster of schools in the Redlands area. Cant remember the names of all of them, but they are good. As private schools they are all expensive as well.

My opinion, based upon lifelong experience, is that you can get a good education anyplace, so long as you remain focused. Dont be afraid to challenge yourself. If money is an issue, start at your local community college, take courses that help you practice communicating effectively, and take a science course or two to learn how science works, so you can distinguish between junk science and the good stuff.

Best wishes.

PS is Norco's Best Burgers still around? mmmmmmmmmmm ...........
Yes they are! Still on Hamner between 4th and 5th. Best fried zucchini and pastrami around...

I'm still pretty undecided major wise, I think I might want to do something either in Biology or Criminal Justice (more towards forensics) but I'm not 100% sure and I don't think I'd declare that as my major going in. Merced seems nice, I'd never really heard of it before actually. As does CSU Channel Islands.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Would you prefer living in Northern California or Southern California? Would you like living near the coast or inland? Do you have a preference as to living in a large city or a small town? What is your financial situation? How are your grades and SAT scores? These questions should be considered when looking for a University.

As previously mentioned, it's an excellent idea to attend a junior college and I might add, try to find a part time job. A job would help to develop your time management, organizational, and work ethic skills. These are necessary skills that aren't taught in school.

Since recently going through a similar dilemma with my son, I wish you much success now and in the future.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
What does going out of state achieve?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
What does going out of state achieve?
Lots. Experience outside of the norm in general.

I will also join the camp of community college if you are undecided. That way you can focus on and get all your general education out of the way for a whole lot cheaper than a university. You would be able to work a job so you can save money for when you go away to school. Getting your gen-ed classes out of the way you can really devote and focus on your chosen field of study and really get to know what you are learning a do not have to stress over a 12 page English paper due in a week.

Some community colleges have criminal justice courses. If that is the direction you want to go, you can get some of those classes out of the way and save money as well.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM

I'll definitely keep community college in mind! Riverside Community College (near me) is actually a really good school. I don't mind North or South, nor inland or coastal. I'd prefer a smaller town (I consider SLO kind of small? Though I've only been there during the farmer's market.) My financial situation is good, my parents will pay the room and board, and my grandma has money saved up to where depending on my tuition, she'd divide it up and give me a set amount of my tuition each year. Anything that's not scholarships would end up being loans, etc. I'm aiming to stay under $30,000, because that's about the highest without ending up with any loans that I could most likely go. My SAT is only a 1980 (I'm going to retake it in October) and my ACT is a 32. My unweighted cumulative GPA atm is a 4.0, weighted is 4.3 (I'm not sure which they count?).
I hope this info helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California