Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 99,646 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Sunnyvale. I bought my car from a Fremont dealer on 6/9. The salesperson said it could take a month for the DMV to mail out registration and license plate. It's been a month but I have received nothing. Someone told me it took him 5 months...

The problem is, I will move back to another state in a month. If I still don't have the registration paper and license plate by then, how am I gonna travel?

Can I call or visit the local DMV and ask?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Your registration paperwork is not processed by the DMV. It is processed either by the dealer or a company hired by the dealer (this changed several years ago.)

The DMV has very strict rules on processing, but since they no longer see the paperwork until it is totally all done, they have no way of knowing how long the dealership or their hired company sat on it before it got processed.

Call the DMV 800 number and give them the VIN to see if the paperwork was even submitted yet. If not, call back to the dealership, ask to speak to their DMV person and explain the situation and hopefully they can tell you where your paperwork is at.

Unfortunately, all the dealerships know that they are in charge of processing the paperwork and they STILL use the "DMV is slow" excuse.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 99,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Your registration paperwork is not processed by the DMV. It is processed either by the dealer or a company hired by the dealer (this changed several years ago.)

The DMV has very strict rules on processing, but since they no longer see the paperwork until it is totally all done, they have no way of knowing how long the dealership or their hired company sat on it before it got processed.

Call the DMV 800 number and give them the VIN to see if the paperwork was even submitted yet. If not, call back to the dealership, ask to speak to their DMV person and explain the situation and hopefully they can tell you where your paperwork is at.

Unfortunately, all the dealerships know that they are in charge of processing the paperwork and they STILL use the "DMV is slow" excuse.
Great info! Thanks a lot!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

Depends on how long the dealership holds on to your License and tax $$$.

We bought a Van in Hayward in June and got our plates in 10 days. OTOH, we bought our Subaru locally and it was two months till we got our plates

Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Depends on how long the dealership holds on to your License and tax $$$.

We bought a Van in Hayward in June and got our plates in 10 days. OTOH, we bought our Subaru locally and it was two months till we got our plates
Some dealerships literally key in your application in the back room, and it's done. Others bundle them--waiting till they have a full bundle--and send them to whichever company they've contracted with so there can be a huge difference in turnaround time.

Plus the original person could have made some mistake--forgotten to get a signature or something--and it all has to be shipped back for correction.

If you look at your purchase contract, the "DMV fee" is still there, but there's also now a "processing fee" (or something like that, don't recall) where the dealer can charge you up to $85 to process your application instead of it being processed by the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California