Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 AM

90 posts, read 263,095 times

Advertisements

Where to visit, San Fran or LA?

Planning on a trip to California, deciding on either San Francisco or LA. Neither of us have been to California. We want to have cool sight seeing, and have lots of things to do. The weather doesn't really matter, as long as it's warm.

I have read that in San Fran you don't really need to rent a car, Rather in LA traffic is so congested and annoying.

Basically, looking for a city that has a ton of fun things to do/see for a vacation.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Attempted to please Original Poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Both are fine in very different ways, but at the time of year you'll be visiting the weather in LA will be much nicer than SF.

If you want the typical California experience I'd probably go with metro LA, especially in January. San Francisco is my favorite CA city, but they really don't have the beach type of environment you'd probably like.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
You'll have fun in either city.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I'm obviously biased towards SF, but if you're looking for the stereotypical version of California, LA would be the more logical choice... San Francisco has more of a "European/urban" vibe, while LA has the whole beach-y surfer and Hollywood vibe. San Francisco has beautiful beaches, but they're COLD (not by MN standards), and not really conducive to sunbathing or swimming. The views are amazing, though, and I personally prefer our chillier weather to LA's constant heat. Anyway, that's the most basic comparison, but we'd need to know what you two like doing before getting more specific.

Good luck with the proposal, btw! Lots of nice spots to do that both here & in LA... if I were being proposed to, I'd swoon if it were done somewhere like the Cliff House or Golden Gate bridge.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
In SF I would recommend a walking tour of North Beach. If you can find Napier "Street" its a fine if tough hike. Walking Chinatown is interesting. A walk along the Embarcadero can be fun, if only for the people watching. Pier 39 and past the Ferry Building to as far as you are comfortable. Get out to Fort Point. And DO NOT FORGET to take a walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. You'll need a car for this one, but take the drive up to the top of road along the Marin Headlands, then continue down towards the lighthouse and experience a view that is guaranteed to knock your socks off!!!!

LA, IIRC, has a number of interesting locals, including the Watts Tower and the Bradbury Building. I can recall a particularly picturesque bridge somewhere, but it has been so many years I have no way of knowing where it is. The Griffith Park Observatory, which you may know as the opening scene of the original Terminator movie (Take off your clothes and give them to me!). I've shot a number of interesting murals in Burbank, of all places.

AS others have said, chances are the weather will be better in LA, but in these days of drought, who can predict?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Not sure LA is typical CA experience. Most.people with a Television set are well aware of SF. Hell, it is known worldwide. I would pick SF because there are so many spectacular romantic views (try Diamond Heights), so much nostalgia and history. Seems like the perfect place to propose, honestly. Plus being a visitor your likelihood of getting lost or confused is far less in a tiny city like SF. I actually like a lot of what LA has to offer, but it is mamoth. And it has no true urban core.

Good luck either way and hope she says yes!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
Places to propose:

Los Angeles
Any beach at sunset--Malibu or Santa Monica would be nice
Any ocean-view restaurant, like Geoffrey's in Malibu
Griffith Observatory
The Getty Center

San Francisco
Fort Point, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge
Baker Beach
A restaurant with a city view, like Top of the Mark
Golden Gate Park has lots of nice options
Top of Coit Tower

SF will be chilly in January, so keep that in mind for any outdoor plans.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I would visit both, if possible! Both are major California cities, but so different and so much to see and do in both places!

Have a great trip!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
That time of year, I'd try to squeeze in a whale watching adventure. The gray whales migrate between October and January. Either place you choose will have plenty of things to see and do. Have fun

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 PM

90 posts, read 263,095 times
Thanks for all the great responses! It gives me a lot to think about, upon more research and definitely the responses on here, I'm leaning more towards SF
Thanks again!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-03-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California