Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 AM

17 posts, read 320,624 times

Advertisements

Our family are thinking about moving to the So. Calill. area and wanted to know if there is a lot to do there for a family with young children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 08:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
Oh yeah, there's alot to do. If you live in the greater Los Angeles Area, depending on where you live. You will be an hour or less from the mountains and beach, and less than two hours from the desert. There's alot of shopping areas, a ton of entertainment, three major amusement parks, three major water parks. There's a gazillion malls.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
Boring and Southern California to me do not go hand in hand. Try Texas if you want boring (Where I am at for now). There is so much to do in So Cal and all of California for that matter. That is one thing among many things we miss about California.
Not only can you go to the beach one day, then skiing the next, then boating another, then go to the wine country next, then go to Palm Springs the next. Do a weekend in San Fransisco, then go to Santa Barbara the next weekend while you are there go visit Salvang in the winter around Christmas and have some hot apple cider and walk around all the cute little shops. Go to Disneyland, Sea World, Zoo's. Go to the Getty Center, Hollywood (see some taping of some shows), Go to Universal Studios. Go to Catalina for a day trip. Take a drive along the coast and eat lunch somewhere with a view. Go spend a weekend in Carmel or somewhere along the Central Coast and go to the Aquariam there with the kids. Take a quick flight over to Las Vegas for the weekend.
I am leaving out so much but this is just some of the stuff we did when we lived in Southern California.
Have Fun!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
Roma, I'd have to agree with you Texas doesn't have the same options as SoCal. Are you thinking of coming back to Cali?!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
Hi dusesean1986, Yes, we are plaining on moving back to California. We moved to Texas a little over 2 years ago to retire on a lake. We miss Ca so much and will moving back within the next year or so. Hopefully sooner then later.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Southern California isn't boring even if you don't have much money. There's still the mountains and lakes where you can picnic, you can bike ride between Santa Monica and Venice, plus museums and various parks (Griffith Park, for example), etc.

I just Googled "free things to do in Los Angeles" and discovered that the Hollywood Bowl's morning rehearsals are free! Who would have known? Also, in the summer there are lots of free concerts in various locales. For instance, there are concerts on Thursday evenings every summer at the Santa Monica Pier.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Any place can be boring, it all depends on you.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,429,492 times
"Any place can be boring, it all depends on you."

I have to agree 100% with that statement.

I live in Texas now and it seems that the folks that grew up here seem to keep themselves very busy. It's the transplants that all mope around talking about boredom. I just think that when you move, there are different things to do and you need to explore those things....not the ones you were comfortable with....

Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Southern California isn't boring even if you don't have much money. There's still the mountains and lakes where you can picnic, you can bike ride between Santa Monica and Venice, plus museums and various parks (Griffith Park, for example), etc.

I just Googled "free things to do in Los Angeles" and discovered that the Hollywood Bowl's morning rehearsals are free! Who would have known? Also, in the summer there are lots of free concerts in various locales. For instance, there are concerts on Thursday evenings every summer at the Santa Monica Pier.
And tons of Fiestas and Festivals and Carnivals and Parades! All kinds of museums (most of which have free days every month). There is the LA Zoo.

The Chinese New Year's Parade is in Chinatown next Saturday (for anyone who lives here) -- that's a lot of fun!

There is a website, I think it is experiencela.org (or .com) that has lists of everything there is to do -- free or otherwise. There is a list of "Events" by date.

P.S. Sandy, did you know that you can attend a lot of the evening concerts at the Hollywood Bowl for under $5? We were looking at their listings a couple of years ago and they had seats as cheap as $1!!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 320,624 times
Default Roma about Texas

Hey Roma, my family moved here to Lubbock, Tx about 2 years ago and we have been bored out our minds since. Once you go to the attractions once here, then thats it. We want to move to a place that our whole family will enjoy.

So. Cali. sounds like a great place to be. We are very excited about the possiblity of us moving there. From the recent replies, it don't seem that we will be greating bored at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California