Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

Have local/state properties stopped their lawn watering and decorative fountains? Have they put a temporary or permanent stop to installing new swimming pools? Have golf courses stopped or at least cut in half their watering schedule? I ask because in my area when watering restrictions are in place and being enforced, we still see government properties and golf courses still on a daily lawn watering schedule?

Is there a restriction on using seeping hoses wrapped around the home foundation, trees, and various vegetation? I think if used after sunset and off at sunrise it may be enough to keep foundation from cracking and plants from dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,918 times
It varies from one municipality to the next. Sacramento, for example, has reduced their watering significantly: Release - 'Gold is the new green' - City of Sacramento

You can see images of the brown grass around the state capitol here: Capitol Alert: Drought hits California's Capitol Park

Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Depends on where you are, and the local supplier's restrictions. When I worked at EBMUD in Oakland during the 2 previous droughts, many of the golf courses went to reclaimed water. They can keep them as green as they like, drought or not, because the water is either treated sewage or cooling water from the oil refineries. Cities that operate their own sewage treatment plants may be doing the same for landscaping and foutains. We had rich people with acres of lawn spending thousands of dollars a month to keep them green with the penalty charges, but it was worth it to them because of the replacement cost. I've never heard of watering a foundation to keep it from cracking, in fact homes are designed and landscaped to keep water away from the foundations.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Depends on where you are, and the local supplier's restrictions. When I worked at EBMUD in Oakland during the 2 previous droughts, many of the golf courses went to reclaimed water. They can keep them as green as they like, drought or not, because the water is either treated sewage or cooling water from the oil refineries. Cities that operate their own sewage treatment plants may be doing the same for landscaping and foutains. We had rich people with acres of lawn spending thousands of dollars a month to keep them green with the penalty charges, but it was worth it to them because of the replacement cost. I've never heard of watering a foundation to keep it from cracking, in fact homes are designed and landscaped to keep water away from the foundations.
Drought Causing Foundation Problems in Iowa Homes | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather

It's happened in several areas during severe drought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California