Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Oax Oax started this thread

33 posts, read 35,070 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is about the 1082386237583th time that someone has posted a thread like this.
However, I feel that it is the best way to obtain information aside from empirical, firsthand research. So thanks for being patient with me.

I am a 23 year old male who has lived in Texas all of his life. I have nothing against my home state. I love the geographic diversity, the history, the music and sports but I feel like my time here has come to a close and I don't want to be one of those people who has stayed in the same place their entire life. I'm still young, and if there is a time for me to move the time is now instead of when I'm older and more settled. I've always wanted to move to California and after visiting several times, I've decided to attempt to make this idea a reality. However, I want to do this correctly and want all the proper education I can get first.

First of all, as I have mentioned I am a 23 year old male with a BS in Environmental Science. I am currently employed in the construction industry (management) as a means to pay my bills. I do not plan on moving to California until I have acquired steady employment. I make around $35k a year in Texas and I know that will barely be able to keep me off of the streets in California. I've just recently only graduated college so my resume isn't tremendously sexy at the moment. Most of my jobs were either freelance or part time. I worked on campus and for various magazines as an editor to pay my way through college. How tough is the job situation there in California? Ideally, I would like to work in an environmental field but I'm not going to be picky. I'm willing to stick with the construction industry if I must, or transition into another field I may be suited for.
Which brings me to my other point, what are the cheapest cities to live in? Ideally I'd like to live in San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, Fresno, Berkeley, Bakersfield, Santa Ana, Fremont, Modesto, Elk Grove, Thousand Oaks, Antioch, Clovis, Redding, or Arcata. That's a pretty long list, but I've been to each city at least once. Out of the cities I've mentioned, which has the least amount of crime and are there affordable living areas in the safe parts? I know that some of the bigger cities I've mentioned are going to have higher crime rates, that's understandable. I live in a fairly big city now and understand that there are certain parts to avoid. Also, I understand that obviously the bigger cities will have more job opportunities.
Something that is also another kicker for me is outdoor leisure. I'm a big fan of the outdoors and enjoy hiking/camping, etc. I'd like to be within a short distance of a few of these amenities.

Here's another thing, I plan on moving there with a good friend of mine and living together for a while to cut down on costs and have somewhat of a support system. She can pretty much transfer to California from her job at any point in time, but is only willing to do so once I find employment in California because she refuses to move alone.

If anyone has any tips/advice as well as any job leads, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Oak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,752 times
Sacramento and apply for a state job. Central location to mountains and ocean. LOL, it has an old fort too.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Well hey there, Oak,

The job situation in California is not as bad as it was, but it's still not great. If your first priority is a job (smart move), I would say leave yourself open and hunt for opportunities in and around those cities you listed, and be prepared to go with the one that lands you a job first.

What you can get on $35k in California is going to vary greatly depending on where you are. If you go with a city in the Central Valley you'd be okay. Not rolling in the riches, but that's a respectable salary for a young single man with a roommate. You can get a good two bedroom apartment for around $800, and if you go over $1200 you can get some decent three bedrooms or townhouses in some nicer parts of town, at least in Fresno. Generally the closer you get to the major cities (San Fran, L.A., San Diego) and the closer you move to the coast, the more expensive things are going to get. For a coastal town, Arcata is pretty cheap, but it's also very remote compared to a lot of other places on your list.

No place in California is really lacking in outdoor leisure. Even places that aren't that scenic by themselves are usually just an hour or two away from a beach, park/refuge, or something that's more interesting than the city itself. Much-maligned Fresno is my hometown and for all it's faults, it is a fairly cheap place to live. Crime is an issue, but you can buy your way out of it by spending more money to buy/rent as far north and west in the city as you can. I am currently living in one of the "rougher" areas of Arcata, and I feel perfectly safe at home and driving to the store at 10:30 PM because I desperately need ice cream.

As a bonus, Arcata and the surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful. I just got back from a Bay-to-Dunes tour out in Manila a few hours ago and it was amazing (even though the short hike nearly killed me because I am a tub of lard: see previous comment about ice cream).

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
This kind of job? ENVIRONMENTAL/FIELD TECHNICIAN

Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I moved to Redding last November. I live downtown, and there is a homeless problem in the downtown area, and around the library, especially in the park next to the library.

But, the crime really isn't bad here, even living downtown. So, don't believe the weird stories about how the streets are full of zombie meth head hordes. Just not true.

I find Redding to be full of friendly folk, the traffic isn't bad, it's one of the sunniest towns in America. Lots of great shopping options, and lots of recreation, even right in town. And Whiskey Town Lake is just 8 miles out of town. Tons of recreation.

That said, it's damn hot here for a good part of the year. Because of that, I'm planning on moving to Crescent City, because I need an affordable place, and I now know I want cooler weather.

It got into the 100 degrees in May here, and we're expecting 102 temps this week. I don't expect it to get pleasant until probably November. So, basically, it is super hot here 1/2 the year.

There is no evening cool-down like around Sacramento, where you get the Delta breezes in the evening. Last night at almost 11pm, it was still about 85 degrees outside.

Mornings are great, though. If you get out early, it's fantastic. If you don't mind the heat, you will probably love Redding.

I thought because I'd lived around Sacto and Davis areas, with a dry heat, that I'd be fine here. But, the heat starts early and lasts longer during the year. And, like I said, there's no evening Delta breeze here to cool things down.

Other than the heat, I'd probably live here the rest of my life. But, I can't take it. I give! LOL!

Anyway, like I said, if you can take the heat, Redding is really a great place to live, IMO.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks to everyone else for their responses. As I've said, I'm only going to do this if I do it right. Meaning I want to move to a safe area and have a decent paying job opportunity. I would consider the Bay Area as well, minus Oakland, but the cost of living there is pretty insane from what I understand.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-03-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to has been deleted...

Old 09-03-2014, 01:56 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oax View Post
Thanks to everyone else for their responses. As I've said, I'm only going to do this if I do it right. Meaning I want to move to a safe area and have a decent paying job opportunity. I would consider the Bay Area as well, minus Oakland, but the cost of living there is pretty insane from what I understand.

You might also want to include Oakland since some parts are nice (just like the rest of the Bay ).

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-03-2014 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to has been deleted...

Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 PM

I'm open minded, so please enlighten me.
I have friends from Oakland who have nothing but horror stories so a new perspective is always good.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,325 times
Quote:
I'm open minded, so please enlighten me.
I have friends from Oakland who have nothing but horror stories so a new perspective is always good.
Oakland is a really big town, take a look at it on Google Maps. Most of my friends who live in Oakland (mid-20's) live around Lake Merritt and have a blast. Parts like East Oakland are still rough, some parts of West Oakland too but are gentrifying. A lot of it comes down to being smart in general, e.g. not being on your phone when out and about and you won't make yourself a target. In Oakland or in other areas.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
Quote:
I am curious though as to how the plastic bag ban is affecting the economy?
It is just another tax, people will complain and pay for it like CA redemption on beverages, then get use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California