Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't think you've looked in the right places. Granted San Francisco has a lot more choices, but when it comes to restaurants, the areas you mentioned have a great selection. I've lived all over the United States and overseas...so it's not like I came from a small town with 10 restaurants and don't no any better. Yelp.com

Consider the source. Most of his other posts are negative. Silicon Valley is a dump? Hardly. Mostly boring, yes. If you think SV is a dump, you probably haven't been to too many places. Take a walk through the shanty towns in Bangkok or Mumbai and get back to me.
I agree with bmw335xi. Yelp can be your best friend. If you can't find any good restaurants, then you haven't really been looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
We often complain about the job market here in Minneapolis but it is not really that bad compared to other cities. I would not want to move to a city that offers even less employment opportunities given the high cost of living in CA.
Stay put for now. As far as a business center goes Minneapolis/St. Paul are head and shoulders above any of the three California cities you listed and I'm almost sure the job market would be stronger (MN is 7%, California is 12%).

Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
For just overall appeal I would go with San Diego but all 3 cities have many positives. San Jose would be my second choice. Sacramento is fine but just seems less exciting than either San Jose and San Diego in my opinion.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
What is cool about San Diego is that it has the most Nor-Cal feel to it than other parts of So-Cal. San Diego feels compact in its core with separate neighborhoods. San Diego does not feel like LA or OC, yet it is pure Southern Cal in terms of beach culture.

San Jose and Silicon Valley looks and feels like a little bit of So-Cal in the Bay Area.

Sacramento is a little bit of the mid-west in California with much better weather overall and easy access to mountains and coastal areas. Sac has the best housing prices.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
For all that is holy DO NOT go to live in San Jose. Or Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, ... The whole Silicon Valley is a dump as far as living goes. I can't even find a good restaurant around here and everything dies after 5pm socially. Which is weird because the median salary is way above 120K, so why no upscale food/social business moved in is a total mystery.
Yes.

I grew up in San Jose and have gone to community college, worked and hung out with friends in the Saratoga/Cuperitno/Sunnyvale area.

If you live in the Silicon Valley, do not live in San Jose. It does have its desirable pockets but many of them are bordered by poor and dirty areas, save for the Almaden Valley which is on the perimeter of the SV and therefore presents a longer commute time.

The more solidly middle class white collar culture of the western side of the SV manifests itself in the higher QOL in that region.

If you can afford to live in Palo Alto, do it.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I'd pick San Diego over SJ and Sac, but I'd put SF/Oakland over any of those choices

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM

24 posts, read 51,598 times
Default Austin is the answer

We gave the green light for jobs to come to our state. And hundreds if not thousand of tech industry type jobs came to Austin. Those companies have spawned thousands of other jobs that filter down to the food and entertainment. We offer great incentives for companies to come to our great state of Texas. So come and see the beauty of Texas. Also another company that bring jobs that support everyones best real estate markets with all the tools that C.D.P.E and the C.I.A.S credentials, it could make a difference in the short sales in the foreclosure market, and your area is full of them. Seven out ten homeonwners will never contact a real estate agent, target your market. The foreclosers in CA. alone could reboost a market out there if all those homes could be sold and flipped to new homeowners taking advantage of all time low interest rates. HUD and first time homebuyer plans and laws that are in effect, and waiting to be capitalized upon. Call 1 800 432 0335 and talk to Member Services , or go to cdpe.com. This company help me find the job that matters. Which is a investing web management system to help and moniter your success and to show agents how to market themselves in their area to produce leads that close five times for being a CDPE. It was rated one of the best places to work in Central Texas. Like Google in Mountain Veiw, small companies grow into bigger ones some day. So invite companies through conventions that highlight the potential for growth and developement in your community. Connect them with rail service for commuters and cut down on urban sprawl by building more high rise living in city centers. That will help reline all the dated and dilapadating infrastructure in the utilities areas such as water and electric. Our cities need to communicate better on problem solving and strategies to web us all together by high speedrail. Airplane travel is useless in this country during the times we need them, and the alternative is the bullet trains.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
San Diego

Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Sacramento and San Diego counties voted against gay marriage. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: point was made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California