Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 PM

19 posts, read 24,383 times

Advertisements

hello, I'm 23 years old & i live in south lake tahoe right now with my husband, pug & cat. i love it up here, however I'm looking to raise a family in the next couple years and have always wondered what it would be like to live in Virginia. My husband is from there & A LOT of his family lives in the lynchburg area. Ive been in lake tahoe for about a year and I'm already kind of bored to be honest... there's only so much you can do.
If you've lived/visited either of these places, what is your opinion? Is it a good idea to move from south lake tahoe CA to lynchburg VA?

Somethings to consider when responding;
-QUALITY OF LIFE
-WEATHER: i need to have four seasons. it snows a little TOO much in SLT. I LOVE how leafs change colors in VA! Also, i know its humid. I was born and raised in Cancun Mexico so the humidity doesnt bother me. I actually kind of like it.
- SMALL TOWN FEEL: i definitely want the small town/country feel, but SLT is wayyyy smaller than i anticipated, i feel like i cant go anywhere and just drive with out going off the hill into ugly carson city
- EMPLOYMENT: well, its obvious that its hard to find a decent job up in the mountains here in SLT, so how is employment in lynchburg? hard or easy to get a job?
-HOUSING: I'm aware of the pricing (looked on craigslist) but what areas are the best/prettiest yet affordable to live in? i want something affordable that has scenery preperfably near a lake (ive been looking in boonsboro)
- COST OF LIVING: how is cost of living in lynchburg compared to south lake tahoe CA? (gas, groceries, utilities, etc)
-PEOPLE: obviously this isnt at the top of my list but i still would like to live in a friendly town. SLT locals are notoriously friendly how are people in lynchburg? i know it'll definitely be more conservative but thats ok.

I pretty much want a nice place to raise our kids, a nice house with land, somewhere i can work part time and spend the rest with family, 4 seasons, small town BUT not only 5 miles long type of small, a place with good family/friend values etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 AM

19,226 posts, read 16,736,940 times
Considering your husband is from Lynchburg and still has family there, he is the best one to answer your questions about living there, don't you think? And, since you've lived in Lake Tahoe for a year now, you already know what the weather is like. Only my opinion but boredom is not really a good reason to move anywhere. You want to start a family, you better set down some roots before you bring children into the world. A child likes continuity in their life. They don't enjoy moving all the time simply because mommy gets bored. Again, just my thoughts.

You want small town, I'd choose a place in Virginia. There are probably places with a lower cost of living than many places in California. Again, ask hubby. He'll probably have some good information for you.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Considering your husband is from Lynchburg and still has family there, he is the best one to answer your questions about living there, don't you think? And, since you've lived in Lake Tahoe for a year now, you already know what the weather is like. Only my opinion but boredom is not really a good reason to move anywhere. You want to start a family, you better set down some roots before you bring children into the world. A child likes continuity in their life. They don't enjoy moving all the time simply because mommy gets bored. Again, just my thoughts.

You want small town, I'd choose a place in Virginia. There are probably places with a lower cost of living than many places in California. Again, ask hubby. He'll probably have some good information for you.

Thanks for your response. To clear it up a little...my husband is from Appomattox. He likes lynchburg area, and also likes living in South Lake Tahoe, therefore leaving me stuck & indecisive on what we should do. of course i have asked him many questions on what we should do, what he likes about each place etc.. he likes them pretty much both the same & always goes with the flow with whatever i want to do so I'm broadening my horizon searching for other people's opinions..Which brings me to this site.

Also.. whether i am moving out of boredom, curiosity, or in search of somewhere i feel is almost close to perfect to raise a family; i dont think there is anything wrong with that, i am obviously in search of somewhere where i am content & want to actually settle down I am 23 & curious. i stated in original post i wanted to start a family in a few years..therefore, i am in search of what i want while its just us two, so when i find it... i can set down my roots.

So, HereOnMars, have you been to lynchburg/boonsboro/Appomattox? have you been to south lake tahoe CA? if so, how do you think it compares?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
I'm a California native who spent about 50 of my 68 years in the state; my last 20 years there in Sacramento. I've also lived in Virginia twice for a total of about five years and loved it. I was in NOVA but traveled throughout the state and, compliments of Uncle Sam, spent several weeks near Appomattox . It a lovely area and the town had a great steak house owned by a former Californian. But since that was about 20 years ago, who knows if it's still there.

I truly think you will enjoy VA as it's not only beautiful but there's plenty to see and do and you'll have great access to places like Jamestown, Williamsburg, Washington, D.C., the Chesapeake Bay, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Winchester, Skyline Drive and much, much more. VA was on our list as a possible retirement state but my wife really wanted to return to the Ozarks (farmed here for most of the 70s) and I'd fallen in love with the area traveling through it on the old Route 66 in the 50s and 60s so here we are. No regrets.

Enjoy the adventure. It's a great place to raise a family. One of my children was born there. And remember their motto: Virginia is for Lovers!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,736,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aespinoza805 View Post

So, HereOnMars, have you been to lynchburg/boonsboro/Appomattox? have you been to south lake tahoe CA? if so, how do you think it compares?
Have vacationed in various places in Virginia but never lived there so I couldn't possibly advise as to whether it's a good place to live. As for Lake Tahoe, one of my siblings lived there and I would stay there, frequently. I wouldn't like to live in Tahoe, long term, but for some it's alright, I suppose. If I had a choice, I'd choose Virginia but I enjoy that part of the country anyway. I hope you find what you're looking for. Wishing you the best in your search.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 PM

Thank you!
I agree with you on that one. Tahoe is amazing, every day I truly feel blessed that i live in such an awesome place that has many things to offer for such a small town, HOWEVER, as i am having those "happy" thoughts i also cant help to think about how i couldn't live here for THAT long as its too small of a town for me & i cant imagine raising my children here. they say lynchburg is small (approx 73k)! whereas south lake is 6500 & 2000 in zephyr cove area lol
Anyways, i hope i fall in love with VA. we are young and just trying to find the right place to settle down someday so were keeping out options open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California