Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Yeah, just don't look too hard, or you might run into other "local attractions" like these!

Two Arrested in Eureka Meth Bust, Both subjects were released due to overcrowding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:50 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ No offense, but frankly I thought that one of the advantages of living in a small town, is not having to worry about "sketchy areas" to begin with?!
Sketchy is everywhere now. Big and small towns alike. I do recall a time when we did sleep with our windows open, cars unlocked and keys sometimes accidentally left in the ignition. And we'd play outdoors until after sundown without fear of attack or abduction. I feel sad for the children of today. They don't know what that type of life feels like. It was great. Sad that the crime in Eureka is increasing. Vermin everywhere

Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sketchy is everywhere now. Big and small towns alike. I do recall a time when we did sleep with our windows open, cars unlocked and keys sometimes accidentally left in the ignition. And we'd play outdoors until after sundown without fear of attack or abduction. I feel sad for the children of today. They don't know what that type of life feels like. It was great. Sad that the crime in Eureka is increasing. Vermin everywhere
While this is true, it identifies your age, Mars Well, sorta. Because the only time in history that matches what you describe as the good old days was really mid-20th century. The few decades post WWII, really. The world has mostly been a seriously dangerous place. Took some break. But it's back

Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Yes, Tulemutt. I was born in the early 50's. I've never hidden that fact.

I blame the rise in crime everywhere on the increase in population. We need more natural disasters to reduce the population and level the playing field. Notice the emoticon. It's a joke for those who are liable to get their panties in a bunch over the comment.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM

^ ^ So now you think that crimes like the recent murder of a priest, in his own church, are 'no big deal', or even worse, something to joke about?

California priest murdered in Eureka church beaten to death: autopsy - U.S. News

Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, Tulemutt. I was born in the early 50's. I've never hidden that fact.

I blame the rise in crime everywhere on the increase in population. We need more natural disasters to reduce the population and level the playing field. Notice the emoticon. It's a joke for those who are liable to get their panties in a bunch over the comment.
It was fun being a kid back then, weren't it now, Mars? Compared to the control required these days for sure.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
^ ^ So now you think that crimes like the recent murder of a priest, in his own church, are 'no big deal', or even worse, something to joke about?

California priest murdered in Eureka church beaten to death: autopsy - U.S. News

See? I knew someone would get their panties in a bunch over my joke. Lighten up, mateo. Have a beer or whatever it is that soothes your soul.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:

That was in January and it is not recent. Why are you ragging on Eureka. Geez, I lived in Pittsburg California, Berkeley and Oakland and in all three I can say that I never felt safe. Here in the Humboldt bay region, I feel safe. The crimes here are not the same as in say San Jose or Richmond. Violent crimes in the S F bay area are all the time, here they are infrequent. There are bad sections of Eureka, even Arcata and McKinleyville, but one learns where they are and avoids them, same as I did in Oakland and Berkeley.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
That was in January and it is not recent. Why are you ragging on Eureka. Geez, I lived in Pittsburg California, Berkeley and Oakland and in all three I can say that I never felt safe. Here in the Humboldt bay region, I feel safe. The crimes here are not the same as in say San Jose or Richmond. Violent crimes in the S F bay area are all the time, here they are infrequent. There are bad sections of Eureka, even Arcata and McKinleyville, but one learns where they are and avoids them, same as I did in Oakland and Berkeley.
Yeah, it was 9 months ago, so how "recent" does the murder/torture of a priest need to be around there? And just like Oakland now… hey, that's quite an "endorsement"?!!

Sounds like it's not just the Eureka transients and druggies who've lost touch with reality these days…

Last edited by mateo45; 09-30-2014 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: spell..

Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
[quote=mateo45;36691418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
That was in January and it is not recent. Why are you ragging on Eureka. Geez, I lived in Pittsburg California, Berkeley and Oakland and in all three I can say that I never felt safe. Here in the Humboldt bay region, I feel safe. The crimes here are not the same as in say San Jose or Richmond. Violent crimes in the S F bay area are all the time, here they are infrequent. There are bad sections of Eureka, even Arcata and McKinleyville, but one learns where they are and avoids them, same as I did in Oakland and Berkeley.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's quite an "endorsement"!
Got tweakers up and down the block and next door, but as soon as I get in behind my bars and deadbolts, it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California