Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
I live in California. It's one of the best states of all time. I can't even begin to imagine what may happen to it if global warming has its way.
You won't be around. It will take centuries if it even happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Ooohhh, I get it. You're George W Bush! You chose your username, kidcanaduh, to throw us off. Good one, George!
Ha! Believe me, I'm no G. W. Bush fan. But that's another story.

I believe in climate change, the proof is right there in the name, i.e., change!

But I don't believe it's manmade. I do believe it's wise for us to stop polluting so much, though, but I don't believe in charging everyone more taxes and fees to stop something that is unstopable.

The world leaders have met in over 40 places. All resorts. They eat, drink, travel and stay first class on our dime. At the end of the conference they agree to meet again next year in yet another resort, at our expense.

This carbon credit scheme they're dreaming up is just that; a scheme. It's all about money. If you pollute too much as a business you can buy credits from a business who doesn't pollute much and keep on polluting. There is no reduction in emissions.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Do you guys remember when it was predicted that "the end of the world" was going to be in the year 2000. There seems to always be some type of prediction to scare us. Doom and gloom.
But we always seem to adjust, Why? Because we are constantly evolving, that's why. We are made to continue on. We face our challenges and grow and change accordingly.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Do you guys remember when it was predicted that "the end of the world" was going to be in the year 2000. There seems to always be some type of prediction to scare us. Doom and gloom.
But we always seem to adjust, Why? Because we are constantly evolving, that's why. We are made to continue on. Face our challenges and grow and change accordingly.
The predictions of the 50s and 60s about later years were based on zero change in human behavior. But behavior DID change. In terms of atmospheric issues: no more leaded gasoline, the Clean Air Act, stricter emissions standards, higher CAFE standards, and so on. Thanks to these changes, air quality is much better now than it was 30, 40, 50 years ago.

But I will say that as to human activity's impact on global warming, the planet doesn't care. It just responds to a changing climate according to the natural laws of thermo dynamics. The question is, will life for humans be detrimentally affected? And, if we determine that life for humans will be affected, are we willing to gamble that our activity plays no role? Or worse, are we willing to stare sound science and in the face, ignore the warnings, and change nothing about our behavior? Don't know, I'm just asking!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
1 - We don't know if Global Warning is happening. I saw a story the other day about how weather stations that housed thermometers were painted white when new but then faded and absorbed more heat which caused the readings to be high. 1998 just got revised as cooler than originally thought because many of the thermometers were poorly placed (i.e. near air conditioning units giving off heat).

2 - IF Global Warming is happening (or Climate Change for those who want to hedge their semantic bet either way), there is NO evidence that man is causing it. A decent size volcanic eruption spews more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than all the vehicles in history combined! Also, many geologists claim that CO2 rises AFTER temperatures rise. (By the way, how come we have to say "humankind" not mankind but no one ever says "human-caused global warming?")

3 - IF man is causing it there is NO evidence that we can do anything about it. Over 96% of greenhouse gases are produced by the earth itself. Even if we cut all of our emissions to zero it would hardly make a dent. Now think about what we really can cut without going back to the stone age.

4 - Even if Global Warming is real and even if we are causing it and even if we could do something about it, we really don't know what the implications are really going to be. It could be that warming will cause an increase in cloud cover that will be self-correcting. Just this year we were told that La Nina would mean a dry winter for us. We have gotten a lot of rain already this year and we are being told that some areas of So Cal could get up to 10 inches of rain in the next week. I am the first to recognize that predicting weather is not the same as predicting climate. However, I have not been impressed by the accuracy of climate forecasts in the last few years for So Cal. A couple of years ago, when we had a very wet El Nino year, we were told that when we have a wet year the Northwest has a dry year and vice versa. This year we are all having a wet year.

Every time you hear a scientist discredited because they get money from "Big Oil" just remember that most of the scientists crying Global Warming are getting money from those with a stake in it being true. Government has a HUGE stake in Global Warming. It is a good reason for them to regulate things they don't like and raise taxes to spend as they see fit. Scientists do not get grants to simply say there is no climate problem. That is a dead end. If they find a problem then they can argue that they need more funding to continue to investigate it or propose a solution.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM

87 posts, read 119,296 times
Al Gore is my pope.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbob View Post
Al Gore is my pope.
Al Gore is a pirate. His movie idea and concept was stolen from a Canadian movie made before his.

The Great Warming - Home

Trailer

YouTube - The Great Warming

His doc title, "An Inconvenient Truth" was pirated right out of the Great Warming, wherein they have a line, "an inconvenient moment."

Not sure if you folks have seen this, too.

The Great Global Warming Swindle

» The Global Warming Swindle Video- updated » Leaning Straight Up » Blog Archive » (http://leaningstraightup.com/2007/03/11/the-global-warming-swindle-video/ - broken link)

Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM

189 posts, read 344,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
Not sure if you folks have seen this, too.

The Great Global Warming Swindle

» The Global Warming Swindle Video- updated » Leaning Straight Up » Blog Archive » (http://leaningstraightup.com/2007/03/11/the-global-warming-swindle-video/ - broken link)
Maybe someone ought to foist that video on Old Man Gore and watch him get rid of his temper when he learns of how their opinions are at war with his own.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Gore invented the "Internets" (so he falsely claims) and he (or someone else) had the video removed from you tube.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 134,019 times
I agree that Man-Bear-Pig is our greatest threat. (... South Park reference for those unfamiliar.)

Glad to see sanity prevails on these boards. Gore is a lonely nut job - and his friends just want our money.

... but isn't this a little too politcal for this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California