Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...or L.A., San Bernardino, Modesto, Barstow, Victorville, Redding, Oakland and any one of a number of areas and cities throughout California. I will refrain from spewing a pejorative here because I'm more mature than that and realize that all states have their bad neighborhoods and poverty pockets.
It is not just the more rural places in California you name with high poverty rates. The great city by the bay, San Francisco sees over 23% of the people living in poverty. Los Angeles at 26.9%, which means more than one in every four people in Los Angeles lives in poverty every day. And in the famous Orange County, almost 25% of the people living in poverty. Those areas that are supposed to be much better off, are worse than the areas you named calling them bad neighborhoods and poverty pockets. Those high roller areas of California are really the worst areas in the country for poverty rates, and far worse than the southern states. And none of these are rural, but the big city areas that some Californians keep pointing out as the most wonderful places to live in the United States, but fail to point out that a huge percentage of people living in those areas live in abject poverty and it is getting worse in those areas as jobs move out of state, and are followed by the middle class people, leaving the poverty stricken behind.

Map: California Poverty Rates by County <font color=#CD7100><i><strong>Interactive</strong></i></font>

Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That's what happens when you open the flood gates to illegals that can't speak the language, don't care about assimilation and enjoy a level of sucking at the teet of the public milk sac like at no time in the history of mankind.
I think that is yesterday's problem. I think the problem today is the Middle Class are being driven out of the state and the ones who've not escaped are being slowly ground down into poverty.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not just the more rural places in California you name with high poverty rates. The great city by the bay, San Francisco sees over 23% of the people living in poverty. Los Angeles at 26.9%, which means more than one in every four people in Los Angeles lives in poverty every day. And in the famous Orange County, almost 25% of the people living in poverty. Those areas that are supposed to be much better off, are worse than the areas you named calling them bad neighborhoods and poverty pockets. Those high roller areas of California are really the worst areas in the country for poverty rates, and far worse than the southern states. And none of these are rural, but the big city areas that some Californians keep pointing out as the most wonderful places to live in the United States, but fail to point out that a huge percentage of people living in those areas live in abject poverty and it is getting worse in those areas as jobs move out of state, and are followed by the middle class people, leaving the poverty stricken behind.

Map: California Poverty Rates by County <font color=#CD7100><i><strong>Interactive</strong></i></font>
This post only underscores how silly this supplemental measure is--anyone who thinks San Francisco has more poverty than the rural south is out to lunch. It's one of the most affluent cities in the country. If California was truly mired in poverty, the ability to climb the income ladder would be much harder here, but it's not. It's much easier. The areas with the worst social mobility are almost exclusively in the Deep South.

There is true poverty in California, no question, but 1# in the nation? Stick to the official measurement.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
This should not be a surprise.

California does all it can to attract poor people and make sure they have everything paid for. If you're going to be poor, its best to do it in California. Somebody else will pay for it.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
This should not be a surprise.

California does all it can to attract poor people and make sure they have everything paid for. If you're going to be poor, its best to do it in California. Somebody else will pay for it.
Just thought you'd drop in again for a minute from 2500 miles away to try out your same, tired, uninformed, clueless lines?

Prove it.

I don't mean parrot memes and talk-show themes. I mean really prove what you say. You've been asked dozens of times.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Obviously, Louisiana doesn't offer much if the residents of the state spend all their time obsessed with the goings on in California. What's wrong, Swamp People in reruns again?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Obviously, Louisiana doesn't offer much if the residents of the state spend all their time obsessed with the goings on in California. What's wrong, Swamp People in reruns again?
More ad hominem attacks because you don't like the truth. I'm not from Louisiana, btw but good job on generalizing and stereotyping. I bet you love and support southerners who stereotype blacks or latinos.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Just thought you'd drop in again for a minute from 2500 miles away to try out your same, tired, uninformed, clueless lines?

Prove it.

I don't mean parrot memes and talk-show themes. I mean really prove what you say. You've been asked dozens of times.
The proof is that California is now #1 in having the most people in poverty per capita.

It's pretty obvious that undocumented immigrants, unskilled, unemployed, underemployed, and uneducated people are drawn to California.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
More ad hominem attacks because you don't like the truth. I'm not from Louisiana, btw but good job on generalizing and stereotyping. I bet you love and support southerners who stereotype blacks or latinos.
No. You're not FROM Louisiana. But you live there now. And you're not from California either. Point being, you don't know what you are talking about here, and that results in the spread of damaging misinformation. This web forum exists to help people. Not lead them astray.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
I bet you love and support southerners who stereotype blacks or latinos.
I don't even know what that means, but given I'm talking to someone in New Orleans who spends his day sitting on the internet bashing California for some bizarre reason, I'm not going to spend much time pondering it.

My guess is this fascination with California is just more conservative agenda, rednecks trying to convince everyone that the liberal states suck, and presuming folks are stupid enough not to check facts. That might work where you're from, but out here, people are slightly smarter than a hamster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California