Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 PM

46 posts, read 91,547 times

Advertisements

We decided on St Helena/Calistoga area (Healdsburg felt a bit too sprawly and suburban - Napa Valley more rural). We are renting while we search for a home to buy or land to buy and build upon. Exciting change! Thanks again everyone for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:53 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,975,225 times
How cool! Congratulations on the move. Both places are amazing and you won't miss NYC for a second.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Congratulations on your move and coming to a resolution on where to live. My girlfriend and I are also considering the same areas. We plan to keep a residence on the Peninsula so this would be a 2nd home initially and eventually a primary residence (5 year horizon). We have no kids and are very active (hiking/cycling/walking to amenities are all priorities for us). Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Thank you in advance..

Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,529 times
Nina,

This is good to know, as I am looking at a vacation property in Calistoga off Silverado Trail. Do you know any particulars about this area in terms of wildfire risk and flooding/mudslides?
After what I saw on the news a year ago, I am very concerned about the threat of wildfires in particular. And considering the asking price of the property there is much to be concerned about. It sits up on a ridge. I don't know if this makes it more or less safe.

Any inside info you may have would be much appreciated. I have never lived in California or an area where there was any real threat of widespread wildfires, outside of a possible occasional small brushfire.

Michael

Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_OR_83 View Post
Nina,

This is good to know, as I am looking at a vacation property in Calistoga off Silverado Trail. Do you know any particulars about this area in terms of wildfire risk and flooding/mudslides?
After what I saw on the news a year ago, I am very concerned about the threat of wildfires in particular. And considering the asking price of the property there is much to be concerned about. It sits up on a ridge. I don't know if this makes it more or less safe.

Any inside info you may have would be much appreciated. I have never lived in California or an area where there was any real threat of widespread wildfires, outside of a possible occasional small brushfire.

Michael
The Santa Rosa fire was started by downed electrical lines, IIRC. Anyplace with electrical lines in an environment of desiccated grasses and trees would be at risk. Lightning can also ignite that type of material. Such events are unpredictable. What's needed to quell the fire risk is periodic rain.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 PM

319 posts, read 199,431 times
Michael, the Tubbs fire last year which burned much of Santa Rosa began in Calistoga and traveled over the Mayacamas mountain range into Sonoma County. This whole area is tinder-dry so anything can set off a fire, most of which get controlled and extinguished fairly quickly. Sparks from a lawn mower blade striking a rock or some idiot flinging a cigarette ash out a car window are common causes.

I wouldn’t buy any property in Northern California without a thorough evaluation of the surrounding area. Our house was not in a high fire danger zone and yet the entire neighborhood was leveled in October 2017.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
Living in Calistoga is wonderful. I raised both my 2 girls here. My dad lives here in Calistoga also. Calistoga school district is about family. I have lived here in Calistoga for 14 years and I was raised in St. Helena from 1971 to 1991 and I love the small rural areas. Great place to raise kids. Good luck on your chose of town living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California