Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
When I first read the thread title, I thought of Frank Sinatra's "I left my heart in San Francisco."
That was (and is) Tony Bennett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
That was (and is) Tony Bennett.
OH, my bad LOL! Sorry Tony....

Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
California love by 2pac

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
A tie between: California Love and California Dreamin!

Now I'm going to go listen to both and then go into deep depression while I freeze my patooties off here in Pennsylvania.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
California Dreaming, hands down!!!!!

Yeah I know the Beach Boys sang about the surf culture in the early 60's, but it was he summer of lovr in 66/67 thsat was the turning point.

TM - you moved here because of Ticky Tacky? Which was about New York, IIRC?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL. What kind of music video makes you wait 2 1/4 minutes before the music starts? The kind made by artists indulging themselves, I guess...

I'll take your word for it that it's a good song...
You talking about Low Rider? What a great song. PS I am not seeing 2.5 minutes of delay before the vocal. And my computer hates me !!!1

Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
TM - you moved here because of Ticky Tacky? Which was about New York, IIRC?
Uncle Sam moved me here. And the song is about Daly City.
Quote:
Malvina Reynolds was a folk singer-songwriter and political activist in the 1960s and 1970s. Nancy Reynolds, her daughter, explained that her mother came up with the song when she saw the housing developments around Daly City, California, built in the post-war era by Henry Doelger, particularly the neighborhood of Westlake.

"My mother and father were driving South from San Francisco through Daly City when my mom got the idea for the song. She asked my dad to take the wheel, and she wrote it on the way to the gathering in La Honda where she was going to sing for the Friends Committee on Legislation. When Time magazine (I think, maybe Newsweek) wanted a photo of her pointing to the very place, she couldn’t find those houses because so many more had been built around them that the hillsides were totally covered.[2]"

Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Uncle Sam moved me here. And the song is about Daly City.
Funny because the first time I drove through Daly City and saw those houses, I immediately thought of Ticky Tacky. The song I heard on the radio way back when was not sung by a woman. The joys of top 40. Cant find the version I heard on YouTube.

PS the Guvment did not send to to NorCal. You had a choice, I'm sure. I recall the father of a girlfriend way back when who chose the San Francisco area because of Letterman and the nice area. I used to ride the bus with military people stationed at Chronkite (well, not exactly. Cant recall the name of that residential area just inside the tunnel) who boarded in Marin and departed at Letterman. And now that I'm rambling I shall post this

Old 12-05-2014, 03:52 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Funny because the first time I drove through Daly City and saw those houses, I immediately thought of Ticky Tacky. The song I heard on the radio way back when was not sung by a woman. The joys of top 40. Cant find the version I heard on YouTube.

PS the Guvment did not send to to NorCal. You had a choice, I'm sure. I recall the father of a girlfriend way back when who chose the San Francisco area because of Letterman and the nice area. I used to ride the bus with military people stationed at Chronkite (well, not exactly. Cant recall the name of that residential area just inside the tunnel) who boarded in Marin and departed at Letterman. And now that I'm rambling I shall post this
Malvina Reynolds wrote it and sang it. But it was Pete Seeger who made the Top 40 singing it soon after.

You were probably thinking of Levittowns back on the east coast. But yeah, it was Daly City that inspired it. And when I first saw Daly City I was laughing. Then, over the ensuing years, California's population doubled from when I arrived. And it's been one ticky tacky development after another. The state's "architecture" is not one of its finer points. Although I like the Spanish / Mexican influences frequently seen.

As for choice? Nope. It has been a misconception that enlisted get to "choose" their duty stations. Bullpucky. What is offered to some - those who the military enlists for specific specialties - is sometimes a choice between specialty training or a "preferred" location. And you are generally asked to make several choices in order of preference, which Sam will consider. In my case, I did request AO school (Aviation Ordinanceman). And I was granted the same. And after a brief, unimpressive schooling ( couple months I think it was?), I was sent to California. At the time I signed up, in Minnesota, I didn't care where I went as long as it wasn't in the mid-west. It was a pretty good bet I'd go to a coast since it was the Navy. I also volunteered to go to Vietnam. Seemed like a good idea at the time (age 17 - not yet fully bright ). That may have shipped me west. But they'd have probably sent me to Nam anyway. Lots of ordinance being used there at the time ya know?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
At both the attitude and performance level of our political leaders, to our personal and business relationships, this song, heretofore not mentioned, just might fit the bill.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2x0fMszj58
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California