Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:56 AM

214 posts, read 330,158 times

Advertisements

I am from England and have always been fascinated with california and hollywood, and to move to California, most notably Malibu, is a dream of mine. It is not likely to happen any time soon, if at all, but i keep up hope that i will be able to live there one day.

Anyway, i basically want some general information on California:

- Is Malibu (and California in general) as expensive as many people claim, for e.g. how much is the price of housing and rent prices?

- What is the general cost of living?

- What jobs would you say are most required in California/L.A/Malibu?

- How is the economy?

I think a lot of people (including myself on occasion) have this preconceived notion that California/L.A is amazing place with beautiful beaches, cool/unique people, many opportunities etc. Sometimes i suppose i've viewed California through tinted glasses, and have this view that it's an idyllic place where no one is sad and everyone is happy, surf a lot, chill at the beach, eat healthy, stay in shape, etc, etc.

What is your personal view of California? Be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I am from England and have always been fascinated with california and hollywood, and to move to California, most notably Malibu, is a dream of mine. It is not likely to happen any time soon, if at all, but i keep up hope that i will be able to live there one day.

- Is Malibu (and California in general) as expensive as many people claim, for e.g. how much is the price of housing and rent prices?

- How is the economy?

I think a lot of people (including myself on occasion) have this preconceived notion that California/L.A is amazing place with beautiful beaches, cool/unique people, many opportunities etc. Sometimes i suppose i've viewed California through tinted glasses, and have this view that it's an idyllic place where no one is sad and everyone is happy, surf a lot, chill at the beach, eat healthy, stay in shape, etc, etc.

First of all, my question is: have you ever been to California or are you judging it by what you see on TV, videos and books? it is not exactly like you might think. Now, that being said; I am glad you do not plan on moving right away. In order to live in america legally you have to have a job before you arrive and be sponsored by the company who hires you.

Is Ca what it appears to be and is it a wonderful place? Like anything, that is a very subjective question. For many it is heaven, for others not so. It is very pretty but can be very crowded and yes, it is as expensive as you hear.

The beaches are very pretty, many of them, others are just miles of sand.

Is everyone happy? absolutely not. And no it isn't as laid back as the movies make it seem. People have to work hard to make ends meet unless they are independently wealthy. I doubt you would be able to even consider renting or buying anything in Malibu unless you arrive with a million dollars stashed somewhere.

No, not everyone is healthy, happy and in good shape. Many are, some are not. it isn't really that much different than many other places in America near sunshine. Florida coast, Texas gulf coast, Georgia coastline, all have wonderful beaches and great landscaping.

Keep on dreaming, that is what makes life exciting, especially for the young.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Malibu is expensive, you can't just up and move there without a load of cash. It's also small with limited opportunities. However, there is a strong economic base not far from there with corporate jobs and every type of job such as malls, restaurants, various services. In general LA jobs don't pay excessive and the cost of living is high for USA but would be lower than London. A chill life at the beach is probably a fantasy unless you are wealthy or have wealthy parents to support you.

Overall the lifestyle is nice if you can afford it, and to afford, you gotta hustle and be resourceful.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:

I think a lot of people (including myself on occasion) have this preconceived notion that California/L.A is amazing place with beautiful beaches, cool/unique people, many opportunities etc. Sometimes i suppose i've viewed California through tinted glasses...
TV will do that. Reality might be a bit different.

Not to say that CA isn't amazing, but it's not just a glossy projected image.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:35 AM

495 posts, read 611,458 times
Quote:

- How is the economy?

You can move within proximity of Malibu and not pay the cost of living in Malibu and then on the weekends, drive into Malibu.

The rest of California is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Malibu. If you are used to the £ being like dollars then the exchange rate will actually help you a little, $1.57 = £1,00. Also gasoline is less expensive than UK.

You can probably live not too insanely in Thousand Oaks, California. Even cheaper in Bakersfield or Riverside. Then when off work, drive into Malibu and hang by the beach. Yes that is possible. 30-70-minute drive

There are healthcare and financial sector jobs in Los Angeles, Woodland Hills, Cypress, so I recommend move to Southern California anywhere you can find something just inexpensive enough you are ok with it. Then drive where you like

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:

In general?

CA is 97% rural/wilderness. Most of it is woodland or forest. CA gets more snow than any other part of North America. In general it is nothing like what you see on TV.

In general a great place to live with clean air, low crime, friendly people and no traffic problems. In general the cost of living varies from high to very affordable. Housing is only expensive in the major coastal urban areas like LA-San Diego-SF Bay Area. By European standards any part of CA is going to be affordable. I live in a nice part of CA and housing here is 25% as expensive as LA or the San Francisco Bay Area,

Now as to the other 3% of CA...things can vary from good to bad depending on where you live.

LA-Malibu covers well under 1% of CA so it is not even close to being CA in general.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-14-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

LA-Malibu covers well under 1% of CA so it is not even close to being CA in general.
But that is the happy fantasy. Don't we want all our prospective newcomers to be happy?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:29 PM

252 posts, read 519,321 times
I'm from Malibu California.. I went to the preschool Kindergarden thru High school in Malibu. Malibu is not a surfer beach town like it was in the 1960's. Yes, Hollywood Celebrities live in Malibu but most of the people of that live in Malibu are old people because they are they only ones that can afford it. Theres not a lot of young people that actually live in Malibu because they can't afford it the people you see on the weekends are tourists. Malibu is nice the mountains are beautiful and full of wildlife i.e. deer , snakes coyotes raccoons skunks etc. The beach is nice but i have seen better on scale of 1 to 10 i would give it a 5 yearly average during the summer i would give a 7 however.. i wouldn't say it's a tropical paradise like Honolulu Hawaii , the beach is cold during the winter and even during the summer , and its is overcast all the way through june parts of the year. It depends what your looking for.. If your into the movie industry thing i would recommend West Los Angeles for you , because Malibu is more of a rural beach town.
If your into the beach thing then Malibu could be for too its going to cost you like over $2500 a month at least for something the size of a closet. In my opinion its overpriced in every way , they charge more for everything in Malibu. I live in Malibu right now and I honestly want to leave here be closer to my main family in Texas but I wish you the best.
Happy Holidays

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 12-24-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
Aside from the "practicalities", one thing no one has mentioned is the substantial difference in culture compared to the OP's home in Southern England. And despite how tv and the media portray all the "fun" we're having, actually IMHO folks here are quite a bit more reserved, especially with strangers, than one finds in the EU in general.

So the Brits are often described as "stuffy", but in my travels there, have always enjoyed how friendly, inquisitive and helpful the 'locals' were, and certainly in a way I would never expect in say, Malibu or Hollywood, where the typical culture tends to run more towards "California cool" (aka, distant & aloof)!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
California is distinctly missing that rocking soundtrack when you're here in person. One can supply their own soundtrack but common safety sense says that walking around with impaired hearing through loud music is unwise.

Keep in mind that coastal California is not representative of the whole state, although once you live here it is easy to visit those other areas.

After spending some time here in person, you would be unlikely to dislike it but that you will also definitely discover that it isn't as glamorous as it sounds like you are expecting it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California