Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

I live in what I consider to truly be northern California, but I refer to it as Far Northern California for the purpose of distinguishing it from the San Fransisco bay region including Sacramento. I grew up in Pittsburg below the confluence of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers into one delta. Though Pittsburg is less then 45 miles from S F, I think of it as The Central Valley, but I was born in Hanford at the south end of the valley. I belong to an online club for owners of Honda Ridgeline trucks and we have had meets in the past for regions and the entire state. When figuring out the best and most centralized location for our AllCalROC meet, we found that Santa Cruz to Monterey was about central on the coast if you came from Crescent City up here to San Diego down South. For purposes of the club, we broke the state down into three regions with large overlaps, SoCal, NorCal and CenCal. For the Central California meets it worked to use the top of Mount Diablo for our meets and many of us could see the towns or general areas of Central California where we lived or grew up in from the lookout at the top near 4000 feet in elevation. I am only about 80 miles from the Oregon border, which puts me just about 6 hours from Santa Cruz and 12 hours from San Diego on a good day. I do not and did not when I lived there, consider San Francisco to be Northern California, economically, geographically and climate wise everything is different beyond Santa Rosa. I am soon to be 55 and remember when, for my family, a trip to Northern California was anything beyond Marin county into Wine country; Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino. What I would like to see on cd's California section is an area for FarNorCal, which is distinct from Northern Cal in its representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't know what you take me for, but the first 75% of my life was spent mostly within CA borders, and I've been to 79% of its counties, so I feel that I am at least entitled to my opinions as well.
Yeah, that kinda "natives are special" attitude does get sorta annoying after awhile (and it's also one of the reasons I say 'Cali' every chance I get)!

Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, that kinda "natives are special" attitude does get sorta annoying after awhile (and it's also one of the reasons I say 'Cali' every chance I get)!
Who said natives were special? Does your judgment include "Colo" natives as well? or "Texi" natives?

I am pretty sure if I moved to Colo or Texi I would at the very least respect what they had to say about their home or at least give them credit for having lived there 25 plus years or so. -

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-24-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Chimérique was insinuating that my opinions were invalid because I don't live there anymore; chiefly because I'm not sniffing the grapes and swallowing ocean foam on the daily.

If I thought I was special for being from California, I would wear it on my sleeve, mention it every chance I get, and most of all, still live there.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Chimérique was insinuating that my opinions were invalid because I don't live there anymore; chiefly because I'm not sniffing the grapes and swallowing ocean foam on the daily.

If I thought I was special for being from California, I would wear it on my sleeve, mention it every chance I get, and most of all, still live there.
I did not say nor insinuate it. I have never thought I, personally, was special, simply by being from California....just in case that is what you were "insinuating". There is a thick line that separates proud from arrogant.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM

^ ^ No offense, but "proud" of what exactly, an accident of birth? And what does such "pride" entitle one to? Greater 'authority', 'expert' status, the right to 'censor' how others talk, or what….?

Because this notion of being a "native" often seems to come up as though it "matters", and I'm curious why it's so important to some folks?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique
You have to live here, use the surf the ocean waters, ski the mountains, live the culture regularly in order to have strong opinions on how we identify ourselves.
Quote:
I don't know what you take me for, but the first 75% of my life was spent mostly within CA borders, and I've been to 79% of its counties, so I feel that I am at least entitled to my opinions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I did not say nor insinuate it. I have never thought I, personally, was special, simply by being from California....just in case that is what you were "insinuating". There is a thick line that separates proud from arrogant.
I never said you did, but above it appeared you were attempting to invalidate my opinions for me being some sort of tourist (due to my present domicile) at least mildly unfamiliar with California.

Quote:
Because this notion of being a "native" often seems to come up as though it "matters", and I'm curious why it's so important to some folks?
It's a crutch. I was using my CA "experience" as an example to prove to Chimerique that I may indeed know a little about my native state, even if I live in CO now.

There are many other states far worse than CA at this mateo45.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
^ ^ No offense, but "proud" of what exactly, an accident of birth? And what does such "pride" entitle one to? Greater 'authority', 'expert' status, the right to 'censor' how others talk, or what….?

In my personal experience, this is why it "matters" or is "important". Some natives, often, are the ones who set up shop, took the most risks, created business, instigated or created new regulations to protect natural resources or a way of life.

They have personal institutional knowledge and experience. They truly understand the way things were and have adapted to the way things are now.

Some natives have no clue, were handed everything, took no risks, but reaped the economic benefits of a new pioneering land, and give nothing back, in fact they still earn money from their previous state, only to spend most of it in their new state.(I am not directing this at anyone in particular).

Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 PM

^ ^ Understood, just as there are even 'natives' who complain mightily about the state, yet obviously have little experience beyond their own local 'megalopolis' (that and maybe the occasional bit of "NorCal" their families used to pass thru when they were growing up).

So speaking as a former 'east coaster' who moved 'out west', I suppose I've always admired the West's tendency to accept folks more on their own merits, rather than by virtue of where they were born (or to whom), as seems more common back East.

And just as you value the "contributions", my only 'criteria' consist of what folks are actually doing now, not what they (or their ancestors) once did a long time ago. Meaning do they do volunteer work, do they teach, provide health care, housing, repair work, and other useful services that truly improve the lives of others here? Because that's what I think is "special". But simply being a 'native' of someplace, not so much.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Some natives have no clue, were handed everything, took no risks, but reaped the economic benefits of a new pioneering land, and give nothing back, in fact they still earn money from their previous state, only to spend most of it in their new state.(I am not directing this at anyone in particular).
It's weird, I feel like I've come full circle. Let me explain.

I moved to Colorado 7.5 years ago. I joined a struggling local company, with operations only in Denver.

2 years later, I helped open a regional office in the Pacific NW.

Now, we've expanded to other western cities (none in CA), but occasionally (at least weekly) do business in LA, SF, SD, and Palm Springs. It is now absolutely weird to me to be managing operations in CA. I never expected that moving to CO would somehow lead me back to CA, at least figuratively.

And next summer, I plan on spending tons of my hard earned CO cash right back in CA...(all 3 portions of it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California