Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times

Advertisements

Not sure I agree on the $60 to $100K to bring a family of four out of poverty in SV.

The poor kids of Silicon Valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Not sure I agree on the $60 to $100K to bring a family of four out of poverty in SV.

The poor kids of Silicon Valley
Barely got started on that, and a freakin' Starbucks ad interrupts. Yes, we are doomed.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Barely got started on that, and a freakin' Starbucks ad interrupts. Yes, we are doomed.
The ads are annoying, thanks to CNN. I just forwarded through much of it, reading the highlights. I did not even watch all the videos and Tent City interviews.

The housing issue is imploding back on a lot of tech companies, I know other people in tech who have job leads and recruiters trying to poach them from elsewhere in the US and they are turning down pursuing anything due to the housing. These are not H-1B's, happy living with 10 people in a rented house with a converted garage with bunk beds, so that's probably why.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
My heart breaks! If you can't afford it, why would you stay in such an expensive area? MOVE!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Victim of their own success. Nothing new.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
My heart breaks! If you can't afford it, why would you stay in such an expensive area? MOVE!
Says the forum's biggest kvetcher who doesn't take his own advice. Priceless.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I love homeless people should you as well?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Says the forum's biggest kvetcher who doesn't take his own advice. Priceless.
I never said I couldn't afford it here. Its the overcrowding, liberal nutbags running the state and trolls like you that make me want to leave sometimes.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Are you serious? I'll use myself as an example. I was born and raised in the Silicon Valley area. With that, I'll be honest that I do have some sort of sense of entitlement that I should be allowed to continue living here. This is my home. Both my parents and my wife's parents grew up here as well. Between my wife's income and my own, we make a respectable amount of money that would allow us to live a good life just about anywhere else.

We can't afford to buy a house in any neighborhood that we'd actually feel comfortable and safe to live in and that would allow our son to attend decent schools. Rent prices and mortgage prices are completely out of control here and are completely irrational by anybody's standards. But, I guess we should just pack up and leave our jobs and family and friends because it's just so easy to do. Clearly we're stupid.

I'm happy that you have everything figured out so much more than anybody else living in a high cost area does.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Are you serious? I'll use myself as an example. I was born and raised in the Silicon Valley area. With that, I'll be honest that I do have some sort of sense of entitlement that I should be allowed to continue living here. This is my home. Both my parents and my wife's parents grew up here as well. Between my wife's income and my own, we make a respectable amount of money that would allow us to live a good life just about anywhere else.

We can't afford to buy a house in any neighborhood that we'd actually feel comfortable and safe to live in and that would allow our son to attend decent schools. Rent prices and mortgage prices are completely out of control here and are completely irrational by anybody's standards. But, I guess we should just pack up and leave our jobs and family and friends because it's just so easy to do. Clearly we're stupid.

I'm happy that you have everything figured out so much more than anybody else living in a high cost area does.
You are joking right? My mother was born in Huntington Beach and lived in apartments on Main and PCH across the street from the beach for $350 back in the early 70s. Since she was born and raised there, she should be entitled to keep living there and as cheap as she wants right? I was born in Garden Grove and lived in a nice neighborhood but we had to move to the desert when I was a kid because we couldn't afford OC anymore. I just moved back 8 years ago. Get a grip on reality, no one owes you anything and you aren't entitled to jack ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California