Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 AM

88 posts, read 144,707 times

Advertisements

My family is going to visit my nephew at San Francisco State University. We are flying into Vegas first where we are going to spend 3 or 4 days with some other relatives who live in Summerlin, and then we are going to drive into CA. We will probably take a pit stop in LA so we can see a few quick tourist spots (drive down the Sunset Strip, take a picture of my sons by the Hollywood sign etc.) and then driving up to SF.

American Graffiti has been my favorite movie since I was a teen and really started getting into classic cars. As you may know, the movie takes place in Modesto. It seems that Modesto wouldn't be too far of a detour from the scenic route we are taking up north from LA, and me and my boys both think it would be cool to take a drive through just as kind of a quick little pilgrimage to my favorite film. I've never been to California (farthest out west we have been is Dallas, Texas and Las Vegas) and we are coming from NYC.

I've read that unfortunately these days Modesto is kind of a depressed Ag town with gangs, poverty, illegals etc. and there isn't really much to see. Is that true? Is it worth the pit stop?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I don't think the American Graffiti ideal describes Modesto now. Like all older valley towns, you will meet a lot of nice, down to earth people, of whom many will be Hispanic. Nice orchards and vineyards around that area too. However, it is flat as a pancake, and it does not rank high on the bucket list of places to see in California. You might enjoy combining a trip through Modest with a visit to the Sierra though.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Modesto is not exactly a place people visit for pleasure. It is an OK town, but that is as far as it goes. I live near a small town 50 miles east of Modesto. I only go there for Costco, Macys and if my job requires it.

Better to take 101 from LA to SF as opposed to I-5, both from a traffic and scenic standpoint. Well worth the extra time

Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't think the American Graffiti ideal describes Modesto now. Like all older valley towns, you will meet a lot of nice, down to earth people, of whom many will be Hispanic. Nice orchards and vineyards around that area too. However, it is flat as a pancake, and it does not rank high on the bucket list of places to see in California. You might enjoy combining a trip through Modest with a visit to the Sierra though.
Thanks for the advice. We weren't going to spend the night or anything, just drive through and see some places and explore, maybe stop for some food to eat before we get up to Frisco nothing fancy. I couldn't care less if the residents are Hispanic or white or purple, though according to C-D the town is about 50/40 white and Hispanic. I just didn't want to make a pit stop to drive through a slum or something depressing like that, I'm not expecting 50s cruisers and such, it's just that I have seen the movie so many times I wanted to see what the place was like. This is my first time in CA and I have no idea if I ever will go out there again so I wanted to see it. If it isn't worth it though I will save the gas lol.

What's the Sierra? The Sierra Nevada mountains? Oh noo, that's a wee bit too much we were only planning on taking a detour and spending maybe 3 or 4 hours.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Modesto is not exactly a place people visit for pleasure. It is an OK town, but that is as far as it goes. I live near a small town 50 miles east of Modesto. I only go there for Costco, Macys and if my job requires it.

Better to take 101 from LA to SF as opposed to I-5, both from a traffic and scenic standpoint. Well worth the extra time
Thanks. That's what I am getting too. I just wanted to see the place from the movie but I'm not going to go out of my way to just see a non-descript ag town. We were going to take CA-99 up from LA to Modesto and then head west from there into the Bay Area, probably not worth it though. Highway 101 would be cool.

Can one take the Pacific Coast Hwy all the way up?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Modesto is pretty much a bedroom exurb town today. There are strip malls big chain stores everywhere a big shopping mall. New homes. There are gangs and homeless and tweaks. A lot of people living there commute to the bay area. I don't know of you would recognize Modesto as the city American graffiti was filmed in anymore. That was over 40 years ago. But you could drive through just to say you did.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
Thanks. That's what I am getting too. I just wanted to see the place from the movie but I'm not going to go out of my way to just see a non-descript ag town. We were going to take CA-99 up from LA to Modesto and then head west from there into the Bay Area, probably not worth it though. Highway 101 would be cool.

Can one take the Pacific Coast Hwy all the way up?
99 would not be my choice. If by the Pacific Coast Hwy, you mean HWY 1, you will want to make it a two or three day trip. Hwy one splits off 101 north of Santa Barbara. It is a beautiful drive, but a good section of it is a two lane curvy road. Spend a night in LA, then head out the next morning. If you're up for a long drive, shoot for Monterey and spend the night. See the sights. Then continue up Hwy 1 to SF. If you want to make it a two night, trip stop in Morrow (SP?) Bay or Cambria then up to Monterey

You can do the drive from LA to SF on 101 in one day. Way better alternative to 99 or I-5

Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
99 would not be my choice. If by the Pacific Coast Hwy, you mean HWY 1, you will want to make it a two or three day trip. Hwy one splits off 101 north of Santa Barbara. It is a beautiful drive, but a good section of it is a two lane curvy road. Spend a night in LA, then head out the next morning. If you're up for a long drive, shoot for Monterey and spend the night. See the sights. Then continue up Hwy 1 to SF. If you want to make it a two night, trip stop in Morrow (SP?) Bay or Cambria then up to Monterey

You can do the drive from LA to SF on 101 in one day. Way better alternative to 99 or I-5
Thanks. We will just take 101 then because we don't want to be more than one day. We have limited time and we are trying to get up there for my nephews 21st birthday.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
Thanks. We will just take 101 then because we don't want to be more than one day. We have limited time and we are trying to get up there for my nephews 21st birthday.

Thanks!
OK then here is a tiny suggestion that will enhance the enjoyment of the last section of your drive. When you to get to San Jose, take the split to 280 north. It is a bit faster and actually scenic. 101 gets a bit industrial north of San Jose. 280 takes you thru some pretty countryside and deposits you in a less congested part of SF.

Have a great trip!

Old 04-25-2015, 03:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
America Grafitti was filmed in various cities in the greater Bay Area.

As others suggested unless your visiting family in Modesto it really doesn't have a whole lot destination appeal.

Also I would just haul butt up the I5 at get to the Bay Area as fast as possible since it is your final destination their are LOTS of things to see and do within 1 hour of SF. That's how I would spent my time. You could spend two weeks in the Bay and not see a fraction of all the interesting place and activites.

BTW the I5 into the Bay is MUCH faster. I make the drive from just south of Sacarmento once a year to Las Vegas in 8 hours. LA to the East Bay in 5-6 hours is doable depending on the time your driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California