Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,168,078 times

Advertisements

California drought: Court rules tiered water rates violate state constitution - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM

471 posts, read 601,672 times
Fantastic ruling, water rates shouldn't be profit centers.

However, as is been said, if the government was serious about conserving water, they wouldn't be spending all their energy worried about penalties for showers, lawns, and glasses of water in restaurants. The focus would be on the fact of more water is used for Almonds than all the water used by every business, home and lawn in Los Angeles and San Francisco combined over multiple years.

Since Jerry is welcoming even more almond orchards while droning on constantly about peoples showers, I know he is not serious about the drought, but instead interested in advancing a political agenda and inflicting maximum suffering on the people of California.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,168,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Fantastic ruling, water rates shouldn't be profit centers.

However, as is been said, if the government was serious about conserving water, they wouldn't be spending all their energy worried about penalties for showers, lawns, and glasses of water in restaurants. The focus would be on the fact of more water is used for Almonds than all the water used by every business, home and lawn in Los Angeles and San Francisco combined over multiple years.

Since Jerry is welcoming even more almond orchards while droning on constantly about peoples showers, I know he is not serious about the drought, but instead interested in advancing a political agenda and inflicting maximum suffering on the people of California.
No, it is not about being a profit center. By striking down their ability to charge more based on usage, it means the poor (who use little water on average) as well as responsible conservationists, such as myself, will see a huge increase in rates as rates are adjusted. This is punishment for us for saving water and I resent it. In the end, they will rely on fines.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 PM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Is this true? Why would he do that?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 AM

471 posts, read 601,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this true? Why would he do that?
Ruth, honestly, I was shocked to see that. Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee highlighting the growth of Almond Orchards in the drought.

I honestly don't know why more action hasn't been taken. I mean, just buy out the orchards and plow them under. It would be a cheap and easy way to instantly save an incredible amount of water.

California almond growers to expand orchards, despite drought | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Representatives of the state’s almond farmers defended the decision to expand California’s orchards, saying growers with adequate water supplies are making rational economic decisions based on the price they can get for their crop.

Adequate water, I thought the state had a massive drought? Most of the almond crop is exported, it's a minuscule part of the GDP. Less than 1%

When the governor is going on and on about how the state has no water, we need to plow under ever lawn and take shorter showers, this is allowed to go on unimpeded? Is the goal conservation or just punishing residential users for a lifestyle that Jerry disagrees with?

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 04-21-2015 at 12:25 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 AM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Ruth, honestly, I was shocked to see that. Here is an article from the Sacramento Bee highlighting the growth of Almond Orchards in the drought.

I honestly don't know why more action hasn't been taken. I mean, just buy out the orchards and plow them under. It would be a cheap and easy way to instantly save an incredible amount of water.

California almond growers to expand orchards, despite drought | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Representatives of the state’s almond farmers defended the decision to expand California’s orchards, saying growers with adequate water supplies are making rational economic decisions based on the price they can get for their crop.

Adequate water, I thought the state had a massive drought? Most of the almond crop is exported, it's a minuscule part of the GDP. Less than 1%

When the governor is going on and on about how the state has no water, we need to plow under ever lawn and take shorter showers, this is allowed to go on unimpeded? Is the goal conservation or just punishing residential users for a lifestyle that Jerry disagrees with?
Well, look. This thing with expanding almond farms turns out to be more complex than local growers deciding to put their money into almonds. It turns out that out-of-state investment groups are using almonds as the new investment fad. So I question who these almond growers in the Bee article are. Are they tied to out-of-state investment houses, or are they truly local farmers, whose farms have been in the family for a couple of generations? I find this overall trend of Wall Street taking over entire industries (sub-prime loans, storage unit companies, foreclosed homes nationwide, and now--marginal land through REIT's (Real Estate Investment Trusts) for planting almond groves) to be disturbing. There's no thought to the consequences of these massive investment decisions.

This frenzy of planting is being done by real estate developers and investment groups, including state employees' retirement fund, TIAA-CREF. That's what should be curtailed first. If local, established farmers want to plant almonds, that's one thing (though I don't think they should). But if entities from outside the state or even local investment groups are driving the conversion of marginal land to almond groves, that should be halted. It's misleading to pretend these are decisions being made by family farmers. Someone should look into where Brown has his retirement money invested.

News from The Associated Press

(See the other drought thread for excerpts I posted.)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-21-2015 at 12:35 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,433,422 times
Wow. In our district, which is a small district that buys water from SFPUD (e.g. Hetch Hetchy System), we've had tiered rates as long as I can remember.

Yes, this ruling is disruptive.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,759,249 times
I washed my trucks on my front lawn last night. Lots of stares fom people driving by and a few comments from the neighbors.

Water Wars coming soon to a water district near you.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,839,420 times
I think it is a good ruling. Everyone should pay the same rate for water. The government needs to get out of the game of picking winners and losers.

It will be interesting if this will apply to tiered power rates.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
We don't have tiered water rate here yet where I live. My electricity rate is tiered. Everyone pays the same rate. You only get charged more when your usage exceeds a certain amount -- and only for the extra amount. I am OK with it. It forces me to use electricity responsibly so I don't get charged more. What I don't use is available for others to use. If a lot of people use resources conscientiously, the savings add up and resources don't get used so quickly.

The tiered system will help use save water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California