Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

I am a single 23 year old female from Washington DC/ PG County area, currently living in ATL and will be graduating with a BA in Criminal Justice May, 2016. I want to travel around before settling down back home, and I am absolutely set on moving to California first. I need some help narrowing down my decision as far as location. I want affordability and safety of course and I hear good but more bad things about Oakland however I plan to teach through the AmeriCorps program so I would be teaching at an Oakland elementary school. I do want to live comfortably! Again I am from Washington, DC and I am living in Atlanta, I have been exposed to the worst and best neighborhoods these cities have to offer. I book smart and street smart so I understand being safe in any state/city has a lot to do with my own decisions. I am not looking for perfection however I again I want to be comfortable and I want to feel like I am progressing with this move! Even though I am looking for something affordable I want to live somewhere that has a lot to offer. I love a fast life, I would like to be able to get to San Francisco easily, definitely want to have access to public transportation even though I will be driving. I am a lesbian so I would like to be somewhere that is lgbt welcoming, I am young so I want to enjoy nature, nightlife, art, foods, etc. but I am professional as well, not ALL play. I keep seeing people mention Berkley, would u agree? What specifically about Berkeley and if not, what other areas would you suggest? What are nicer parts of Oakland and what parts should I stay away from? I am definitely looking for diversity.

How is the weather? and where are the closest beaches?

I am completely unfamiliar with California other than what the friends that I have made through out college who are from there tell me. I do plan on visiting before moving.

Please! I need honest and helpful suggestions.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 PM

209 posts, read 257,698 times
Emeryville is next to Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco.its right under the Oakland side of the bay bridge. Also it is loaded with stores and condominiums, not as much houses, per se.

Also, Rockridge and Temecula in Oakland are nice walkable neighborhoods next to retail stores and restaurants.

I live in San Jose, so I can't tell you too much details, but its a nice place to visit, for sure.

Berkeley is nice because there are more people walking around than Oakland, and there are more Rock and rollers and bands playing at night clubs, but all these cities have more music and art than San Jose, Sunnyvale and Mountain view combined!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 PM

Common sense will tell you it was posted in the wrong forum lets not be ignorant respond with useful information or move along sweetie.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM

thank you treedroppings! I will definitely look into Emeryville...

Old 05-01-2015, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,555 times
Do you have a job lined up you need to be close to for commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California