Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What divide in California is more meaningful?
Northern/Southern California 19 50.00%
Coastal/Inland California 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,969,353 times

Advertisements

I personally think people overrate the difference between Northern and Southern California. The true divide in the state is between the coast and the interior, though Orange and San Diego County are culturally the Interior's "coast".

I would say that Santa Monica has much more in common with Marin County than it does with Victorville, despite being located in the same county as the latter. I also think Redding has much more in common with Bakersfield or Indio than it does with San Francisco - the only similarity it would have with the City by the Bay is rooting for the Giants and 49ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 PM

322 posts, read 779,287 times
That's really true. And on a smaller scale, Grass Valley/Nevada City has absolutely nothing at all in common with the towns it's next to...Yuba City/Marysville. It's like they are on different planets.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:34 PM

322 posts, read 779,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinna1 View Post
Northern/Southern California
Your link doesn't work or show up.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Coastal/inland, easily.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I personally think people overrate the difference between Northern and Southern California. The true divide in the state is between the coast and the interior, though Orange and San Diego County are culturally the Interior's "coast".

I would say that Santa Monica has much more in common with Marin County than it does with Victorville, despite being located in the same county as the latter. I also think Redding has much more in common with Bakersfield or Indio than it does with San Francisco - the only similarity it would have with the City by the Bay is rooting for the Giants and 49ers.
Victorville is not in Los Angeles county, as is Santa Monica, just to be clear.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Coastal/inland, easily.
This is even true with the rural counties of Northern CA. I moved from Mendocino Co to the Gold Country 13 years ago and found the culture and mindset to be like night and day.

Mendo/Humboldt: hippy, New Age, liberal politics, slightly hostile towards Christians and *everybody* seems to be smoking dope.

Gold Country: the culture has more in common with Nevada/the Great Basin states. Red Counties, cowboys, nobody minds if you're a Christian and we have no Marijuana dispensaries. And yes, I like it better here.

But yea, Mendocino County is nice also. Just not where I want to live.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Stupid question.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM

112 posts, read 131,038 times
Quote:

Good point. These proposed state divisions, should anything ever change in that regard, are more clearly defined when considering east-west rather than north-south. Most highways generally run north-south and driving east-west is always more difficult and time-consuming because of the mountains, especially in northern CA.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
I personally think people overrate the difference between Northern and Southern California.

Whatever division there is has been overblown.

[in my opinion, anyway]

Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,969,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Whatever division there is has been overblown.

[in my opinion, anyway]
I agree. To me the San Fernando Valley feels a lot like the South Bay. Like you could easily plop Encino into the middle of Santa Clara County and it would be seamless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California