Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
then when the house is sold or transferred to their children the estate pays the balance of the remaining taxes.
You've brought up transferring their property to children multiple times, which is not very common in California.

Quote:
If property taxes were applied equally to all properties you would see a mass exodious from high demand areas and a lowering of prices as supply increases. After a few years the market will stabilize.
No, you'd have a massive homeowner revolt, just like we did in 1978.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You've brought up transferring their property to children multiple times, which is not very common in California.

No, you'd have a massive homeowner revolt, just like we did in 1978.
Yes, people get made when they lose their "preferred class" status.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
how could 1% be a 'detriment' to buyers? There are only 16 states with lower property tax, look at the link I posted. I lived in Nevada, their 'formula' is complex but it ends up being about 1.5% of the value of your home, the problem there is that the houses are reappraised every 5 years and the appraisers are given free reign to decide what your house is worth. The rate increase is capped at 3% but if your appraisal goes up 15% your property tax will increase by 3% every year for 5 years. Property tax on the house I bought there in 1999 started out at around $1600 a year, when I sold the house my property tax was almost $4,000. Does that sound fair to you?
If 1% isn't a detriment than everyone could pay the same amount.

Like a said, if the rate is too high, lower the rate so it is applied equally to everyone instead of our current system where some a screwed and others pay relatively nothing while enjoying all the same benefits.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

Like a said, if the rate is too high, lower the rate so it is applied equally to everyone instead of our current system where some a screwed and others pay relatively nothing while enjoying all the same benefits.
The tax is not on benefits, but purchase price.

That is fair to everyone. The price too high, don't buy it. Housing prices will fluctuate a bit but in So Cal for sure it won't drop much. Unless of course next year there is no water for anyone.

You see taxes as a way to cause prices to drop. Won't happen. The only solution is to .... make more money or move to where you can afford to buy, not punish those who make enough to buy.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Does rent control cause an increase in price for non rent controlled appar tents when supply is limited, like in San Francisco?

This is just basic economics.

Everyone is for a fair tax code until their tax break is being affected.
Yes as the ones not rent controlled cost ... more.

Prop13 is fair.It isn't taxes, that are increasing the cost of a home, it is totally supply and demand. If all taxes went to 2%, it would not change the value of a house. If older owned homes had to pay more in taxes, how would that cause any other home to sell for less???? It would not. Basic economics is supply and demand. No one is forced to buy or sell or rent, except by their own circumstances and ... supply.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM

768 posts, read 719,163 times
There is so much homeowner turnover & so many homes have been built since 1978, there is really no room to blame Prop 13 for California's budget woes. Look who this article says wants to eliminate Prop 13. THAT is one of California's biggest budget problems.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
There is so much homeowner turnover & so many homes have been built since 1978, there is really no room to blame Prop 13 for California's budget woes. Look who this article says wants to eliminate Prop 13. THAT is one of California's biggest budget problems.
That is correct. How many people actually now own a home bought in 1979??? I have owned since the 70's 4 homes (one for 9 years in CA) and one I was renting to own and decided to move. That is about one home every 7 years, not counting 6 rentals I lived in. Thanks to the last home in CA, I know own my current home free and clear. Plus I still own property in CA and it has appreciated about 40% since purchased in 2003. I could have whined about how expensive it was to buy there, but i didn't. I bought at a level I could, and not where I would have loved to again live (OC) but close enough. It paid off just fine and if I wanted (my wife would kill me) I could move to OC. I would have enough for a major down payment, bringing my mortgage to less than rent and live just fine. My wife is more important than where I live soooo........

Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Yes, people get mad when they lose their "preferred class" status.
No, what homeowners of every age and of every length of ownership were upset about before Prop 13 passed was that their property taxes kept going up (without the owners ever having sold their property) and that they could not predict what their property taxes were going to be from year to year. People could not afford to stay in their homes when they had NO IDEA what they would be assessed from year to year.

I was a renter in L.A. in my early 20s when Prop 13 was on the ballot. It seemed as if everyone I knew (including my parents) who owned a home was scared, furious, and/or ready to put their house on the market...and many older retirees on fixed incomes had already sold and moved out of state.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
how could 1% be a 'detriment' to buyers? There are only 16 states with lower property tax, look at the link I posted. I lived in Nevada, their 'formula' is complex but it ends up being about 1.5% of the value of your home, the problem there is that the houses are reappraised every 5 years and the appraisers are given free reign to decide what your house is worth. The rate increase is capped at 3% but if your appraisal goes up 15% your property tax will increase by 3% every year for 5 years. Property tax on the house I bought there in 1999 started out at around $1600 a year, when I sold the house my property tax was almost $4,000. Does that sound fair to you?
This is a huge problem because property owners are forced to pay taxes on unrealized gain based on perceived or estimated value... how unfair is that?

Property Tax is different because it is a tax based on being... not on earning, not on buying, not on selling... simply for existing...

Sounds like Nevada has a lower rate than Oakland CA... I'm at 1.7% of Market Value.

The purpose of Government is to serve and somewhere along the line it's purpose has shifted... now it is the people's job to feed the beast.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:

I would like to hear more and it sounds fair...

Each residential unit would be say assessed $4,000 per year... kind of a flat rate and each commercial unit could be assessed based on square footage...

If everyone paying the same amount ever gets traction... you can count me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California