Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times

Advertisements

Sports is a business. It's not all about the fans, it's all about the money. When it comes down to a choice for the sports franchise owner it will come down 100 times out of 100 that they will pick the best money and to hell with the fans. Fans are fanatics, which of course is where the word "fan" comes from. They are rabid about supporting their "home" team. When their team leaves "home" they may follow, or follow at least until they get a new "home" team (probably not likely if the old team left town).

Frankly I do not understand the allure of being a sports fan. I was born without the sports gene. I don't understand why you support a business located in your city just because the business is in your city. If I live in Phoenix and both Phoenix and Detroit have good teams in X sport, why should I support my "home" Phoenix team? Just because the business is based in my city??? I don't get sports team loyalty--I was born without the sports gene. I don't get the idea of grown men playing with their bats and balls, or their pig skins. (I'll have to take a "no comment" here while I snicker.)

Is there some sort of phallic thing about sports that I also don't get?

Fan loyalty is not an issue. Bring a team and the loyalty will be there. Remember, they are fans and they are fanatics. If it's the "home" team how could you fans not support your "home" team? I really don't get the whole fan thing. I watch a game every year or three. I'm at a loss to figure out which team to root for. Hell, when my alma mater goes up against our cross town rival I can't even get interested enough to root for my alma mater's team. I can't even get interested enough to watch the game--unless my only alternative is picking my nose. -- No, wait, I'd rather post on C-D than pick my nose! Never mind!

Sports is just a big business... a huge business! And that's even without sports betting. Toss in the betting and it's a HUGE business. As I said I'm not a sports fan but I'm in favor of any business that generates jobs, wealth, contributes to the US economy. I'm a GNP kind of guy. I'm in favor of anything legal that contributes to US jobs, US business, US wealth and US GNP. Even if I don't have the sports gene.

But here again we have the issue of states competing for businesses, whether it's a sports team or an auto manufacturing plant or a steel manufacturer.

I could be wrong but I just perceive California as business unfriendly, regulation hard, a bad place to do business in if you can port your business to a more business friendly state. Particularly if that state "bribes" you, perhaps with a 10 year tax haven or some contribution to establishing your business there.

I am certain that jobs and businesses are fleeing California for Arizona and Texas, and probably more states. If California is attracting out of state businesses to move to CA I'm certainly not aware of it.

We have a tax-and-spend, business antagonistic, pro-regulation state (particularly excessively politically correct regulations, low carbon footprint, global warming save the Earth, yada yada). I can't see how the state is succeeding while at the same time driving away productive residents and profitable companies.

Last edited by Lovehound; 04-21-2017 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Never attended a Raider game... but, apparently, California was not attractive enough or able to make an offer to keep the Raiders from leaving...

I'm not very political and was not old enough to have voted for Prop 13 at the time it became law.

I do remember how against Governor Brown was at the time and how a rival Prop was even sponsored in place of Prop 13... it lost.

However... Governor Brown has said Prop 13 is settled law... and with that he interjected calm to the controversy...

Others in Sacramento have called Prop 13 the third rail... touch it and you are finished.

Being non-political and paying the highest property tax on my block for the oldest and smallest home... I will walk precincts, donate money and write letters in support of Prop 13...

The roof over my head is very dear to me... so is the ability to stay in my home... not sure how far social security will go in my golden years but without a pension or employer match after 26 years on the job I know I will be on my own... and the predictability Prop 13 offers and requiring voter approval for new assessments will be a cornerstone of my golden years...

Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Never attended a Raider game... but, apparently, California was not attractive enough or able to make an offer to keep the Raiders from leaving...
Is that related to some kind of Lost Ark thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The roof over my head is very dear to me... so is the ability to stay in my home... not sure how far social security will go in my golden years but without a pension or employer match after 26 years on the job I know I will be on my own... and the predictability Prop 13 offers and requiring voter approval for new assessments will be a cornerstone of my golden years...
I'm there right now. That is the base of where my posts on the subject are coming from.

I too paid dearly for my home. I spent probably the equivalent of 20 years of my life to own the house I live in--free and clear. My property taxes are enough to rent a studio apartment in a not so nice neighborhood of my city. It takes half my Social Security just to pay my property taxes.

If I didn't have savings I'd be totally screwed.

If CA raises my property beyond the Prop 13 limits I'll defend my lifestyle by leaving the state. I like living in CA but not so much that I'd live poor in a nice house just to ensure that fat cat government employees can have nice pensions.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
If half your SS goes to prop taxes it sounds like you are living poor. I'd sell the house and buy in either Nv or Az and visit Ca whenever you can. It's only 5 hour drive or 1/2 hour plane. You could live like a king there on your equity

Last edited by Finper; 04-22-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
If half your SS goes to prop taxes it sounds like you are living poor. I'd sell the house and buy in either Nv or Az and visit Ca whenever you can. It's only 5 hour drive or 1/2 hour plane. You could live like a king there on your equity
How? Property tax is higher in Nevada and goes up 3% a year, in most Counties in Az property tax is higher than Ca or NV and can go up 5% a year.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
My 83 year old mom manages nicely on her annual 24k Social Security... no pensions in my family... dad worked until 2 weeks before he passed and didn't draw any social security until he was 70.5 so Mom would be OK financially... Mom was getting $600 a month prior.

She lives simple, enjoys her home of 50 years, loves to garden and has the best neighbors...

Her property tax is $3400... last year the 102 year old neighbor sold her home... lived their as a widow... the young couple that bought are paying $12000 property tax which is 50% of Mom's annual income.

All of Mom's neighbors are up in age except the young family that bought and the new family said they chose to buy because of the great neighborhood feel with lots of friendly "Grandparents" tending their yards and keeping an eye on things... even simple as signing for a package.

Mom has Alzheimers and her doctor said the best thing for her is to stay in familiar surroundings doing what she loves to do..

I'm in a similar situation as Mom's new neighbors... I pay 12k property tax in a neighborhood with many elderly neighbors paying 2 to 3k property tax...

I'm OK with that is they paid their dues and now it is my turn... and I fully intend to be one of the old timers one day with the lower taxes...

Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking along those lines, except why come back? BTW that may be 5-1/2 hours to from western PHX to eastern LA, but it's an 8 hour drive for me: each way. I hate it. I have only my very best friend who I would miss, and he's affluent enough he could just fly out to PHX (the airport) and I could pick him up and save him 8 hours of misery each way, let him stay in my guest room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How? Property tax is higher in Nevada and goes up 3% a year, in most Counties in Az property tax is higher than Ca or NV and can go up 5% a year.
I haven't found my PHX taxes going up excessively, but haven't looked into the percent increases. What I do know is that my PHX taxes are 1/4 the cost of the same value property in CA. -- One interesting thing is that my PHX taxes go mostly to schools.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I haven't found my PHX taxes going up excessively, but haven't looked into the percent increases. What I do know is that my PHX taxes are 1/4 the cost of the same value property in CA. -- One interesting thing is that my PHX taxes go mostly to schools.
Arizona property taxes are low, but I really doubt if they are 1/4 of what they are in California, you can do the calculation to prove otherwise right here: https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes#07uRXPGuEs That shows Phoenix property tax on a 250k house @ $2,005 and Sacramento property tax on the same home value @ $2,373. But if you stay in your Arizona house for 10 years, what will your property tax be as opposed to mine in Sacramento where increases are controlled by prop 13? Because if Phoenix taxes go up when the property is reapplraised, and both of our houses double in value my guess is that you will be paying close to twice as much as me. And it does appear, at least from this article, that taxes in Arizona do increase

Why my Arizona property tax bill

Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your just being stupid and Ca blind if you can't see it's more advantageous for a retired person to live in Nv or Az.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Your just being stupid and Ca blind if you can't see it's more advantageous for a retired person to live in Nv or Az.
I lived in Nevada for 14 years and moved back to California when my husband retired because it is cheaper than Nevada, but thanks very much for telling me I'm stupid, personal attacks are so 'special'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California