Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,763 times

Advertisements

I live in Michigan, and I've seen ads here for California dairy products. I wonder why California would push for a dairy industry large enough to export past the Mississippi, given the drought. I would guess that dairy cows use a lot of water. We certainly don't need dairy products from CA here; we have our own producers, and we're right next to Wisconsin if we run low. So it seems that CA producers would have to offer very low prices to get into this market. It does not seem like a good use of scarce water resources. OTOH I could be all wrong about this; some kinds of cattle can live on semiarid land that is not suitable for agriculture without intensive irrigation. Replacing water-intensive crops with pastures for cows might use less water for all I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
The cows live in Northern California, where there is plenty of water. Don't believe everything you see on TV.

CA has a dairy industry because we have stricter environmental controls. "California cows are happy cows" because they're not taking in toxic air, grass, or water. The same is true of Meat, poultry, and eggs. Given the choice, I'd certainly pay an extra dollar or so for produce from CA rather than from some state where the plants and animals are subject to heavy metal pollution or may have been grazing over an old toxic waste dump.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Actyally most of the major large dairy farms are in the San Joaquin Valley with Tulare county as the number one producer.
Dairy - Tulare County Economic Development OfficeTulare County is Number One in Milk Production

Situated in the southern part of the Central Valley, Tulare County is the number one county in the state and nation in annual milk production, totaling more than $1.6 billion, according to the 2012 Tulare County Agricultural Crop and Livestock Report.
Real California Milk Facts *

• California has been the nation’s leading dairy state since 1993, when it surpassed Wisconsin in milk production. California is ranked first in the U.S. in the production of total milk, butter, ice cream, nonfat dry milk, and whey protein concentrate. California is second in cheese production. (CDFA)
  • California accounts for more than 20% of the United States’ milk production. In 2013, California produced 41.2 billion pounds of milk – more than one-fifth of the nation’s total production. (CDFA)
  • Dairy farming is a leading agricultural commodity in California, producing $7.6 billion in annual retail sales in 2013. (CDFA)
  • Approximately forty-four percent of all of California milk goes to make California cheese. (CDFA)
  • Currently there are more than 1,500 California dairy families, whose farms house 1.77 million milk cows. Approximately one out of every five dairy cows in the U.S. lives in California. (CDFA)
  • The average California dairy cow produced 23,178 pounds of milk in 2013. (CDFA)
  • According to the most recent data, around 40 percent of the total U.S. exports of dairy products are coming from California in 2012. (CMAB) [i]
  • California’s milk standards exceed federal standards because California processors add nonfat milk solids which offer improved taste and nutritional benefits. California milk exceeds the federal guidelines for the amounts of calcium and protein in each serving.
  • Real California Milk can be found at retailers such as 7-Eleven, Chevron Food Mart, Sam's Club, Target, Walgreens, Walmart, Whole Foods, Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Sprouts, O'Brien's, Smart & Final, Trader Joes, Safeway, Raley's, SaveMart and Food Maxx. For a comprehensive list of retailers, visit RealCaliforniaMilk.com.
  • In 2013, Tulare County was the highest milk producer in California, with more than 27% of the state’s milk production.
  • In 2013, Stanislaus County was ranked #2 in Grade B milk production in California, with an increase of more than 866% in the past year.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
So you came all the way over to the CA forum, just to complain about our milk encroaching on your market share?

Wow.

BTW, do you feed your cows GMO corn? We don't.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-25-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 10:58 AM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
Meanwhile, if you just don't go to fast food places and never buy tyson products, you can buy good meat products in EVERY state:

Eat Wild - Find Your State

Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Meanwhile, if you just don't go to fast food places and never buy tyson products, you can buy good meat products in EVERY state:

Eat Wild - Find Your State
Cool. It's definitely a growing trend--grassfed animals (and the milk from some of those) and happy chickens.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Let me just point out that where I live, the annual rainfall is 60 inches. In California.

Big state here.

Not all desert.

This is a recording.

And to Janellen: 27% does not a majority make.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM

293 posts, read 909,865 times
California needs a dairy industry because Californians deserve to have the finest milk in their five dollar lattes and cappuccinos.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I've become accustomed to the steady criticism of California by people from other states, but this one by the OP really made me shake my head and roll my eyes.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Let me just point out that where I live, the annual rainfall is 60 inches. In California.

Big state here.

Not all desert.

This is a recording.

And to Janellen: 27% does not a majority make.

I didn't say it was a majority Snow. I said it had the major large dairies, and it does.....and it smells like it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California