Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

I have two government jobs on the table right now. One is with the city of Poway and the other is with Santa Rosa. I am torn between which one I should choose. Do you guys have any advice on which one I should pick. I am single, 29, no kids, no debt, not into clubs or alcohol. Not really into going out on the town. More of an introvert. Love hiking, exploring, taking day trips and just being out doors. I am coming from Miami.

If you had a choice , which one would look more appealing and why?

Thank you for the help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nujabes2323 View Post
I have two government jobs on the table right now. One is with the city of Poway and the other is with Santa Rosa. I am torn between which one I should choose. Do you guys have any advice on which one I should pick. I am single, 29, no kids, no debt, not into clubs or alcohol. Not really into going out on the town. More of an introvert. Love hiking, exploring, taking day trips and just being out doors. I am coming from Miami.

If you had a choice , which one would look more appealing and why?

Thank you for the help everyone!
Santa Rosa. It's a nicer town, safer, and in a nicer part of the state.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Santa Rosa, no contest. Though Poway looks like it has lots of nature around, Santa Rosa does, too (REDWOODS! and beaches not far away), and the nature is in a more temperate climate, so it's more comfortable to enjoy. Will they be paying you more, for Santa Rosa, to cover the difference in rent/COL? And btw, you don't have to live in Santa Rosa, per se. If you prefer less of a city environment, you can look around outside of town for more of a small-town rural-ish environment, and drive in to work. People like Sebastopol, Cotati, or farther away: Healdsburg, on the Russian River.

You will have traffic to deal with, which you wouldn't in Poway, if that matters.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-28-2015 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 12:56 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
I'll step in for Poway.

Depends in part on the environment that you're looking for. I would say that Poway (or living near it) will keep you closer to the daily conveniences of being connected to a large metropolitan area and give you a bit more diversity in terrain. Santa Rosa though is much greener and is a good launching point to true Northern California where the big mountains and lakes are, with San Francisco at just an arm's length away.

Poway has plenty of local hiking around but the terrain will be California chaparral, that brownish scrub in hilly or mountainous terrain. I think there are (or were) a lot of horses on many of these trails. There is greener nature in the local mountains such as Palomar and Julian but will be less green than what you will find in and around Santa Rosa. It's up to your personal preference.

Deserts make for some variety. Joshua Tree National Park is particularly good for rock climbing and Anza-Borrego is known for very nice flower blooms. Yosemite is still about a good 6 hours away though. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National parks are also a similar distance away, so a bit out of range for a simple day trip. Beaches will be about a 20-30 minute drive from Poway.

Poway is a fairly safe city, being part of SD's North County but since it covers a large area, some neighborhoods are nicer and more upscale than others. There will be a range of affordability vs. luxury. The whole region is dominated by subdivisions of homes, the kind that makes you say "I'm in a suburb!" which also means that local shopping is conveniently near by (by car of course). Local cable/Internet connectivity should be pretty reliable throughout the region.

There will be good restaurant and brewery choices. San Diego's foodie scene has been growing in breadth and depth but there's always the larger food clusters in Orange County and Los Angeles too. Lots of TV and film locations to hunt throughout SoCal, they could be good catalysts for day trips. Given the new developments in various downtowns throughout LA, OC and SD, there is decent urban hiking if you're into architecture.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,099 times
I would recommend Santa Rosa over Poway. The food scene in Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, and just the North bay in general is better than San Diego IMO. That is not to say San Diego isn't great also. Santa Rosa is within stepping grounds of SF Bay Area so if you want to go there for the day, that is very doable. It is much more green up in Santa Rosa. They get regular rain in the winter (last two winters has been rough, but next winter should be good). As for outdoors, Santa Rosa is one of the best cities in the nation. There is the Russian River, and other rivers nearby. There are parks, hills and mountains to explore. You are not far from Tahoe, Yosemite, and other amazing outdoor mountainous areas. There are plenty of beach towns on the beautiful northern Californian coast for you to explore. So many day trips from Santa Rosa.

There are a lot of day trips from Poway but there are more diverse set of options from Santa Rosa. Literally, there are so many. Just to name a few. There is SF, Oakland, Sacramento, Healdsburg, Bodega bay, clear lake area, Napa, CA coast. Those are just off the top of my head.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Both are nice but the comparison is silly. Poway is just a suburb that is very much inside of San Diego County, very close to the city of San Diego whereas Santa Rosa is a drive to San Francisco. I'd take Poway. Poway is closer to the beach too. And when you get to that beach, just how cold would you like your water to be: cold (Poway) or very cold (Bodega Bay)? It seems clear if you like warmer weather.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Santa Rosa. It's a nicer town, safer, and in a nicer part of the state.
Poway's crime rate is half of Santa Rosa's. "Nicer" is debatable but personally Santa Rosa is a little trashy overall IMO.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Santa Rosa by a long shot.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Santa Rosa by a long shot.
Ditto. A beautiful city.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 6,604 times
5 to 3 ... Santa Rosa in favor so far. Thank you so much for the support. I'm so excited and all ready planning weekend road trips....

I wouldn't want to live in SR. I would choose a smaller town like Heldsburg for a small town feel and I plan on renting an apartment...

How is Santa Rosa weather in the winter? How low does it get? Is sunshine usually out? Do all the trees usually die? Grass stays green?

I love to surf so I wanna pick Poway but on the other end I enjoy hiking and exploring and SR (Northern California) looks AMAZING.

AHHHHHH...

Last edited by nujabes2323; 05-29-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California