Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like heaven! If the Olympic Peninsula doesn't work out for me, I may end up in Crescent City, or elsewhere on the north coast. Thanks for your continued reviews.
Ruth, it was foggy until this afternoon, then just gorgeous. Although, when I took my dog to the beach around 4pm, I wished I'd had a jacket instead of just a fleece vest, though it was sunny. If you would be happier in cloudy weather that's mild, and often really windy - then you'd love it here. When it's sunny here, it's usually really windy. So, there's a trade-off, but I'd rather live with the trade-off's here.

Similar weather, but warmer, is Brookings, OR. I used to think I'd rather live there, as it's a much more attractive town, but they can get too hot for me, though it's still mild there. Sometimes when it's around 70 here, it can be in the 80's in Brookings, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Yeah NoMoSno, I called my brother yesterday and he was telling me it's been HOT! And as I've mentioned before, he's pretty acclimated, (thinks a temp of 90 degrees is a bee-uuuu-tiful day!) so if he's complaining, then I know it's pretty toasty over in Redding town!

BTW, we were reminiscing how 115 was not all that unusual even way back when I used to go up there as a young teen over 40 years ago. We just spent most of our days at Whiskeytown Lake!
I loved going on the kayak tours (free!) at Whiskeytown lake, and even looked into becoming a volunteer kayak tour person. But, even the 9am kayak tours could get too hot for me. We'd be back by noon, but I'd be dying of the heat. It's gorgeous there, and if I hadn't been able to escape to the coast, I'd have become a full-time volunteer at Whiskeytown Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Hi 70's here for the last several days and much hotter inland. The humidity levels make it really uncomfortable.
Isn't funny how relative things are. When I lived in Nashville, TN, the idea of 70 degrees and uncomfortable humidity would have made me laugh at you. We're so spoiled here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
Never knew it is humid there and I have yet to travel there. weatherunderground is calling for T-Storms right this moment. Is the humidity just from this storm?
Someone recently asked where they could find could thunderstorms in CA, and I was kind of stumped. But, it appears that the Tahoe area is experiencing regular thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Got visuals on virga over Fremont, and possible precip reaching the ground, further to the SE. Extensive widespread virga over Santa Clara County.
Got some light rail last night around 2am, didn't get the ground wet though, and saw some lighting. This morning on the news they kept talking about how "humid" it was supposed to be around here; dewppoints were in the 50's and now they're actually in the 40's. Not sure on what planet that qualifies as "humid".

Old 07-02-2015, 03:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Got some light rail last night around 2am, didn't get the ground wet though, and saw some lighting. This morning on the news they kept talking about how "humid" it was supposed to be around here; dewppoints were in the 50's and now they're actually in the 40's. Not sure on what planet that qualifies as "humid".
LOL Definitely not the planet called Tennessee that I lived on for 5 years. There's humid and then there's humid.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What was the actual temperature? Here in OC, we had a dewpoint of 72 with a temperature of 86 at one point; you can really "feel" the mugginess in the air and it felt very much like typical summer day on the mid Atlantic Coast or a late spring day on the Gulf Coast. (I've been to Florida and the Caribbean in May and Washington D.C. in June and it was very much comparable). Shortly after we saw the lightning, the temperature dropped down to 75 as a thunder rolled and we got a pretty good rain shower.

My guess is that you guys got some dry lightning (horrible for starting fires) because the air was not saturated enough to give you more than a few sprinkles. You probably got some rare warm overcast (I imagine that you almost never see type of cloud cover with any temperature above 70 F in the Bay Area) so it probably felt more muggy than it actually was. The marine layer up there is always cold as the SST never get out of the 50s even in peak summer.

Our Southern California marine layer can be on the cooler side at times in June (60s) but it can also be mildly humid (low 70s). When the desert monsoons kick up and make their way towards the coast, we can get warm clouds, moisture, and humidity with temperatures in the 75-85 range at the coast and 80-90 range in inland. We also got the same from the remnants of hurricane Blanca in June; those warmer rain systems almost never survive north of Santa Barbara.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 07-02-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
What was the actual temperature? Here in OC, we had a dewpoint of 72 with a temperature of 86 at one point; you can really "feel" the mugginess in the air and it felt very much like typical summer day on the mid Atlantic Coast or a late spring day on the Gulf Coast. (I've been to Florida and the Caribbean in May and Washington D.C. in June and it was very much comparable). Shortly after we saw the lightning, the temperature dropped down to 75 as a thunder rolled and we got a pretty good rain shower.

My guess is that you guys got some dry lightning (horrible for starting fires) because the air was not saturated enough to give you more than a few sprinkles. You probably got some rare warm overcast (I imagine that you almost never see type of cloud cover with any temperature above 70 F in the Bay Area) so it probably felt more muggy than it actually was. The marine layer up there is always cold as the SST never get out of the 50s even in peak summer.

Our Southern California marine layer can be on the cooler side at times in June (60s) but it can also be mildly humid (low 70s). When the desert monsoons kick up and make their way towards the coast, we can get warm clouds, moisture, and humidity with temperatures in the 75-85 range at the coast and 80-90 range in inland. We also got the same from the remnants of hurricane Blanca in June; those warmer rain systems almost never survive north of Santa Barbara.
Blanca gave a good soaking, even up here. I didn't have to water again for at least a week.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post

It was probably in the low to mid 70's but it didn't really feel humid at all.

Just now got a few more sprinkles with a lot of cloud cover and temps in the mid 80's but it still does not feel humid and it's not, dewpoints are in the low 50's. Unusual weather but still not humid imo and I've never felt anything above a 65 degree dewpoint up here.

Every few years (maybe 5 or so) seems like some remnants make it up this way but it still doesn't have the same impact on humidity as it does down there.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:15 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
I stand corrected about Blanca: I looked it up and you guys got temperatures in the lower 70s, dewpoints in the low 60s, and some mildly warm rain in parts of the Bay Area. I think this summer will bring more monsoons and remnants (especially in August and September) as the El Niño intensifies. We will also see our fair share of dry heat waves as well.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

112 posts, read 212,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
We will check in with you in 6 months when its in the 70s here and you are digging thru a few feet of snow in single digit temps
You're right...got me on that one.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Unreal. Yet another cut off low. Is it October or July?

Prog as of now is, chance of convection Wed and Th in Northern and Central CA. Even if no convection, there will be enough drizzle near the coast to tip a few gauges.

I may want to revive the old Weather Thread, as we are having an abnormally active "dry season" this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California