Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:35 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispytopher View Post
I would need to know where exactly you are considering moving too in order to comment. For example, SF or Berkly are hippy towns, but areas like Clovis are super conservative. Just a bit north of Clovis gets you even more conservative and racist to boot, so we ( being an incredibly diverse and massive state) have every type of community/people/city/town everywhere in the state. Only choice is do you want desert, ocean, urban, or mountainous views?
Agreed. You're going to find people with certain mindsets/personality types more in specific areas/cities than others in some cases...like someone mentioned Berkeley/SF are "hippie" towns. I agree that you're going to definitely find more "granola/hippie" types in Berkeley than, say, Hayward - that's for absolute certain. It depends on what city/area you're talking about. You're going to find more surfer/beach-dude guys living in Malibu and Venice than you are going to find in an area like Van Nuys or something (tip: don't ever live in Van Nuys).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:35 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I'm really thinking hard about moving to Cali. Either NorCal or SoCal. We are concerned though about how well we'd fit in in either local. We all are familiar with the stereotypes of SoCal residents- shallow, materialistic... and honestly the few people we have common contact with from those parts actually fit the bill for the most part.
But we also hear of the stereotypes of the NorCal residents- ultraliberal hippies.... but the folks I know from there aren't so much like hippies, although they do lean more liberal

I'd be coming from the more serious and more conservative DC metro area, so I'm not sure how we'd feel and fit in.

Any thoughts?
wow, that was harsh...i'm a socal native and met more "shallow and materialistic" people living here in swva in their little mcmansions.

and don't say cali!

honestly though, some of the nicest people are from socal

Old 07-21-2015, 01:39 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
wow, that was harsh...i'm a socal native and met more "shallow and materialistic" people living here in swva in their little mcmansions.

and don't say cali!

honestly though, some of the nicest people are from socal
Yes, please don't say Cali. No one from California says Cali. And no one who lives in San Francisco says San Fran or Frisco.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I'm really thinking hard about moving to Cali. Either NorCal or SoCal. We are concerned though about how well we'd fit in in either local. We all are familiar with the stereotypes of SoCal residents- shallow, materialistic... and honestly the few people we have common contact with from those parts actually fit the bill for the most part.
But we also hear of the stereotypes of the NorCal residents- ultraliberal hippies.... but the folks I know from there aren't so much like hippies, although they do lean more liberal

I'd be coming from the more serious and more conservative DC metro area, so I'm not sure how we'd feel and fit in.

Any thoughts?

First off you will have to get a passport. And do you speak Spanish?

Cali is in South America.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:09 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
people of color and immigrants are the main cultural elements these days.
No they're not. Immigrants tend to pick up most of the cultural traits of the majority race in the country almost completely within a couple generations. California's no different (still).

Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Try Eastern CA. We are neither North or South. The liberal/hippy/shallow/materialistic types all live in Western CA

Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
We all are familiar with the stereotypes of SoCal residents- shallow, materialistic... and honestly the few people we have common contact with from those parts actually fit the bill for the most part.
Quote:
So if we head to Socal, where should we move to? Our housing budget will be 1-1.5 million although up to 2 million is very doable. Our desire is to be close to great shopping and great restaurants. I love the Mediterranean climate and don't want it too hot. We lean conservative and would want to be in close proximity to a great vibrant church. Work proximity will be a non issue as I will be retired, and good schools will also not be important as my younger will be heading off to college. I like being close to or on the water. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
So this means you are very different from the stereotypical shallow and materialistic Southern California resident?

Actually, you do differ in at least one important aspect, you can put much more money, 1-2 million dollars, into a material possession.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-21-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
There are smug, hyper-leftie, "smell my own farts because I'm so righteous" types in San Francisco and Berkeley, and to a lesser extent in Marin and Oakland. There are uber-workaholic techies in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. (Okay, that second one actually is quite true.)

There are uber-materialistic, spoiled, bratty types in west L.A., Santa Monica (that's actually quite true), and parts of south Orange County. There are thugs and cholos all over much of L.A. County.

These labels are stereotypes often attributed with geographic pockets or sociocultural sectors of either the Bay Area or Greater L.A. Admittedly, these stereotypes aren't entirely untrue, but you're bound to meet such a diverse array of people in either area that you'll find them difficult to "pigeonhole" socially. At least IMO.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:28 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
You must not be aware of the recently passed law...if you call it Cali, you are denied entry due to stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California