Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:48 AM

81 posts, read 107,793 times

Advertisements

Perfect weather, decent sized cities, interesting geography, progressive, and a powerful state. All I hear is how high the cost of living it is there, but I would expect it due to California being the most desired state in the country. Here in Tn, we do not have anything but bad weather, football, and church. I was born and raised here and I have seen so many transplants from California move here. My first question is why the **** would you leave Cali for Tn?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
a change of scenery...my husband and i are san diego natives now living in virginia...we love it here...it's great having 4 seasons, actual weather, slower pace, history, it's beautiful here, but then i guess the grass is always greener somewhere else...although ca will always be "home" i am loving the differences in virginia

and san diego is soooo different than it was when i was growing up

Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Because the liberals Democrat Communist party have totally destroyed this once great state.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
Perfect weather, decent sized cities, interesting geography, progressive, and a powerful state. All I hear is how high the cost of living it is there, but I would expect it due to California being the most desired state in the country. Here in Tn, we do not have anything but bad weather, football, and church. I was born and raised here and I have seen so many transplants from California move here. My first question is why the **** would you leave Cali for Tn?
Well, paradises typically aren't. California has plenty of problems as well as nice areas. And the nice areas have become increasingly out of reach for the typical working person. Google some home prices in Monterey, CA, for instance and try to figure out what sort of wage you'd need to buy one. This is not to dog on California, but this is a free country and why not check out different parts of it? Come out to California and see if it is the paradise you envision, or something else. You only life once (to my knowledge).

Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
California is not for everyone, and there are people out there who would prefer Tennessee over it. It's no big deal, people have different tastes.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because the liberals Democrat Communist party have totally destroyed this once great state.
For those with this^^^ sort of outlook, a move from CA to a place like TN is common. But do beware, OP, the hate and vitriol spewing from these creatures - the rest of us in our fair state are generally not like this at all. So sorry for the disgruntled transplants relocating out there. They're still mad they couldn't make it out here.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
Well, Tennessee is significantly cheaper than California. Tennessee is even cheap for the Midwest. I know someone who left Indiana to move to Tennessee. You are lucky that you do not have state income tax. For someone with an identical salary that's a huge pay bump just leaving CA which has very high taxes.

Then there is the obvious expensive real estate cost. In the Midwest, you can have a nice home for 200-250. In California you can expect to pay $400,000 for a old house in an average to below average location.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
It all depends on whatever place makes you happy whether it's here in California or over there in Tennessee...I used to live up in Washington State and even though it's nice up there and some people like it there,it just wasn't for me.

I've lived here in California for over 15 years and I am much happier down here...Yeah we have our problems here,but so does everywhere else.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
You are exaggerating pros and cons of both places. Get real.

One thing you may or may not realize about CA - once you get away from our coastal metro areas and maybe a couple of the more major inland ones, we are more demographically and economically similar to MS (or even certain foreign countries) than any other nearby states. This is not some sort of uniform land of milk and honey from border to border. We have a severe income inequality problem here.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Well, Tennessee is significantly cheaper than California. Tennessee is even cheap for the Midwest. I know someone who left Indiana to move to Tennessee. You are lucky that you do not have state income tax. For someone with an identical salary that's a huge pay bump just leaving CA which has very high taxes.

Then there is the obvious expensive real estate cost. In the Midwest, you can have a nice home for 200-250. In California you can expect to pay $400,000 for a old house in an average to below average location.
To say one place is simply cheaper than the other is not necessarily to bestow it a significant compliment. One, on aggregate, is valued more than the other. Thus, more highly desired (and the relative tax burden is an old saw that's been hashed out in here hundreds of times, to no one state's great advantage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California