Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The average for high temps in Sacramento is 88-92F."
How do you get an "average"? If the average is 90 degrees, you had to have some temps higher than that to get an "average." And we were discussing the hot temps in the Central Valley of CA, not temperatures in Arizona.

I just pulled up the historical data for the last month for Sacramento:

The calendar with highs and lows are here for last month:

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USCA0967:1:US

That page happens to start with these dates:

July 26: 91
27th: 96
28th: 102
29th: 105
30th: 102
31st: 94
Aug 1st: 94
2nd: 93
3rd: 89
4th: 80
5th: 90
6th: 89
7th: 91
8th: 87
9th: 96
10th: 91
11th: 90
12th: 90
13th: 91
Forecast: Today's forecast high: 93
15th: 101
16th: 105
17th: 102

Are they all 100+, no. And sure, 89 is going to feel a lot better than 105. But, the Central Valley is hot. As I said, Sacramento cools down at night, which is it's saving grace.

And yes, I lived in Sacramento, Davis and Woodland for a total of about 10 years. So, yes, I know the area.

As I say, I'm glad you like it there. And for people who think the above temps are grand, that's fantastic. But, I think telling people that Sacramento is in some magical micro climate that makes it comfortable in the summer, is not correct information. Compared to Phoenix, sure. Compared to Houston, sure. But, it does not have a coastal climate by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Default Sac. average high temp

Sacramento City-Data page

Old 08-14-2015, 03:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Heat wave? Really?? Yesterday someone in Las Vegas, NV, told me it was pouring rain.
It's monsoon season, heats right back up after the rain/thunderstorms go away.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How do you get an "average"? If the average is 90 degrees, you had to have some temps higher than that to get an "average."

Are they all 100+, no. And sure, 89 is going to feel a lot better than 105. But, the Central Valley is hot. As I said, Sacramento cools down at night, which is it's saving grace.

And yes, I lived in Sacramento, Davis and Woodland for a total of about 10 years. So, yes, I know the area.

As I say, I'm glad you like it there. And for people who think the above temps are grand, that's fantastic. But, I think telling people that Sacramento is in some magical micro climate that makes it comfortable in the summer, is not correct information. Compared to Phoenix, sure. Compared to Houston, sure. But, it does not have a coastal climate by any stretch of the imagination.
Most of what you posted was 88-92F average highs which is what I already said. I didn't even post heat index(feels like) averages for Sacramento summer highs which are even lower: 84-88F.

Your obsession in trying to make Sacramento seem hotter than it normally averages is amazing. No one is saying that Sacramento is cooler than coastal California, overall, what we are saying is that Sacramento is cooler in the morning and night than coastal Southern California on average.

Coming from Coastal California, especially the very cool summer temps of the Bay Area or further North, it is so hard for you to accept these facts about Sacramento.

The Central Valley is almost 500 miles long; it is not all the same, especially where Sacramento is concerned regarding just about everything including Sacramento's weather.

Sacramento does not have one single AVERAGE DAILY high over 100F on any day of the year. Yes Sacramento averages 10-12 days of 100F+ in the entire year, not as average. Do understand the difference?

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-14-2015 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

As I say, I'm glad you like it there. Compared to Phoenix, sure. Compared to Houston, sure. But, it does not have a coastal climate by any stretch of the imagination.
Yes, Sacramento does have coastal-like temps on average, cooler than Southern Cal, and Slightly warmer than the Bay Area during the SUMMER FOR NIGHT AND MORNING TEMPS.

I lived in many parts of California: Coastal LA, central LA, San Fernando Valley, Coastal San Diego, San Francisco, Sonoma County, Monterey, Tahoe and Sacramento. I know how Sacramento is the same, similar, or different than all these other areas.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-14-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 PM

Sacramento is more similar to the Silicon Valley, Coastal NorCal-Bay Area valleys, or Portland for LOW temps in the summer than it is like the Central Valley, and Sacramento is more like Pasadena or the San Fernando Valley for High temps during the summer than it is like Bakersfield or Fresno.

Sacramento is in it's own category because of a MICROCLIMATE that allows the very cool/cold NorCal Pacific and an opening in the Coastal range mountains(Sacramento Delta) that allows that ocean air to affect Sacramento. It is not a "magical" microclimate rather it is A MICROCLIMATE LIKE ANY OTHER MICROCLIMATE that affects NorCal regions of California.

Since I've been posting the REAL FACTS about Sacramento's weather seems people were thinking that Sacramento was as hot as Vegas or Phoenix, not true, then they wanted to lump us in with Fresno or Bakersfield. So I've been comparing current data and historical data, In the west, Sacramento is SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER than Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno and Bakersfield.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-14-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
My hot flashes really make it unbearable. Locking myself in with the a/c this weekend.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
My hot flashes really make it unbearable. Locking myself in with the a/c this weekend.
Where?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento is more similar to the Silicon Valley, Coastal NorCal-Bay Area valleys, or Portland for LOW temps in the summer than it is like the Central Valley, and Sacramento is more like Pasadena or the San Fernando Valley for High temps during the summer than it is like Bakersfield or Fresno.

Sacramento is in it's own category because of a MICROCLIMATE that allows the very cool/cold NorCal Pacific and an opening in the Coastal range mountains(Sacramento Delta) that allows that ocean air to affect Sacramento. It is not a "magical" microclimate rather it is A MICROCLIMATE LIKE ANY OTHER MICROCLIMATE that affects NorCal regions of California.

Since I've been posting the REAL FACTS about Sacramento's weather seems people were thinking that Sacramento was as hot as Vegas or Phoenix, not true, then they wanted to lump us in with Fresno or Bakersfield. So I've been comparing current data and historical data, In the west, Sacramento is SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER than Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno and Bakersfield.
Wow, quit yelling. I simply disagree with you.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Gosh, it's getting a little hot in this discussion. Someone turn on the AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California