Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting. I don't usually visit the California page often but I'm sharing this to wonder why it's ranked so low? Is it the COL factor or quality of life is some areas?

The 10 Best States To Make A Living In 2015 - In Photos: The 10 Best And Worst States To Make A Living In 2015 - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Another day, another anti-California post by someone who doesn't even live here. Better question: Why are so many people so fascinated by this state?

Old 08-21-2015, 09:26 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Another day, another anti-California post by someone who doesn't even live here. Better question: Why are so many people so fascinated by this state?
I'm not Anti-California. Im just curious to know why it's so slow so I posted it here to get responses from in state residents. I want to get a better understanding because I've never lived or visited California.

Why are so many people so fascinated with California?
A majority of USA's population live on the east coast and since so many people have never been to California, it turns so many heads. It's a completely different world from someone who lives on the other side of the country. Plus a lot people are adventurous so the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Hollywood, Malibu, and Napa Valley are great attractions that many want to see but don't get to see.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,308 times
Simple. Forbes is a pasty faced whackjob (the person, specifically) that would like to see all of America's wealth in his own pocket, or at the least, in a few of his close friend's pockets, and wants to manipulate Americans to accomplish the goal. If an area doesn't agree with his politics, he labels them.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:26 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I thought this was interesting. I don't usually visit the California page often but I'm sharing this to wonder why it's ranked so low? Is it the COL factor or quality of life is some areas?

[/url]
Well, the article explains the data used to determine the rankings:

To determine the best and worst states to make a living this year, personal finance site MoneyRates.com considered average wages, taxes, cost of living, unemployment rate, and incidents of workplace safety incidents (including illness, injuries, and deaths) for each state. The study drew on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, The Council for Community and Economic Research (C2ER), and D.C. think tank the Tax Foundation.

And, California is number 6 on the worst places to make a living. No real surprise there when you compare our taxes and cost of living to the places on they ranked as "Best" (but seriously -- have to wonder about a ranking that ranks Michigan as one of the "best" places to make a living).

Still, California is still a great place --- you should put it on your "must see before I die" list. Like many folks who visit, you may decide to move here, despite this article.

Thanks for sharing the article, and hope to see you soon!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
if you have a recession proof and high paying job, you are set

Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM

816 posts, read 968,680 times
California probably epitomizes the fast increasing wealth gap. If you have certain specific skills, you will do well. If not, you will be priced out. Out of housing, out of schooling, out onto a painful commute.

It has a booming business sector, which is driving money into the hands of the few. This kind of explosive growth combined with the slow pace of housing development, can easily make it a horrendous place to live for a mid-low wage worker.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Simple. Forbes is a pasty faced whackjob (the person, specifically) that would like to see all of America's wealth in his own pocket, or at the least, in a few of his close friend's pockets, and wants to manipulate Americans to accomplish the goal. If an area doesn't agree with his politics, he labels them.
Agree. And the magazine is notorious for its stupid lists that make people page through 10 pages of advertising to see them.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:58 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Agree. And the magazine is notorious for its stupid lists that make people page through 10 pages of advertising to see them.
And what's with the "quote of the day" you have to sit through to get to an article? I never got that one.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
It's a tough place for middle income people. Career wise, it is tough for people in manufacturing, certain services and for small business people.

For people in STEM, certain areas of finance, big business etc it's doable.

Any objective assessment is going to reflect these facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California