Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM

26 posts, read 32,731 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am currently live in Chicago and getting ready to move. I was thinking of Miami Beach because its filled with lots of young people and of course the warm weather, plus its cheaper. But I am not a big fan of the humidity/rain or when the temp hits 90+.

I am leaning towards Southern California since the weather is perfect to me and the scenery is so much more. I have a budget of 1300-1500 a month and would like to be close to the beach and around young people. I was thinking of San Diego by Pacific Beach. I work from home so the job market doesn't matter to me

Any suggestions or ideas would be great!

Last edited by Nikemikey; 08-26-2015 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
I share your frustration. I'm also having a hard time finding what I need-which is a new or recent build 1500 sq ft pad overlooking the ocean that's fully furnished and has amenities like WiFi, pool, gym, dining shopping, and entertainment within walking distance along with good transit nearby, a large pool of singles, but the most I can afford is $300 a month and that has to include utilities. It also has to be clean and low crime and Liberal/Artistic friendly too. I mean WTH.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I share your frustration. I'm also having a hard time finding what I need-which is a new or recent build 1500 sq ft pad overlooking the ocean that's fully furnished and has amenities like WiFi, pool, gym, dining shopping, and entertainment within walking distance along with good transit nearby, a large pool of singles, but the most I can afford is $300 a month and that has to include utilities. It also has to be clean and low crime and Liberal/Artistic friendly too. I mean WTH.
You should try the next size up in underwear. Something is on too tight, and it ain't funny.

OP, there are plenty of places in SoCal that can accommodate your budget, but they will likely be tiny old places with few amenities, located in less safe areas, or further out in suburbia than you'd prefer at this stage in your life. You may also need to take on roommate(s) to split rent. Being close to the beach on your budget will be your biggest challenge, and you'll likely need to increase your budget to get something decent. You may want to put some boots on the ground in SoCal over a vacation week to see what you can find locally. You'll only get so far scouring Craig's List ads online.

You may wish to start a similar thread in the San Diego forums, give plenty of details, and be realistic about your options, otherwise you'll just invite snarky, mocking comments like the one above. It's good you can work remotely and take your job with you, as that will definitely increase your housing options. However, it may also mean you cannot cheap-out too much on your housing if it will also need to serve as your home office.

I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Chicago, especially if you can do so before winter hits. Hope you find a good solution!

Last edited by Ragnar; 08-26-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
You guys are in for an education. The beach and $300 a month? You would need a lot of room mates to make that work out. Only problem is that most places are not going to let you rent with tons of people. I know of people renting rooms out for $600 and up. To find one for $600 is very hard and you have to be that lucky person that happens on it at the right time. I know of one person that rents two rooms out in his home and he charges $750 a month and the people he rents to are happy to only pay $750 a month. The places I am talking about are not even on the beach. This is more in town living.

Living on the coast does have its advantages. We don't have an AC in our home. We don't need one. Coastal areas stay normally cool and mild year round. I seldom ever use a heater in our home. We do have a Forced air furnace but maybe turn it on at the most a week a year in the morning to warm the place up. During the evening we would not use it at all. I don't think our furnace has been on in over a year.

When you say budget are you saying that $300 or $1,500 is the budget for the rent alone or is that all the money you will have during the month? For the OP, I know of studios and some times the occasional one bedroom that you could find for the $1,300 to $1,500 range. We are up in Ventura County on the coast between Malibu and Santa Barbara. Ventura is where you would want to look. Most of the night life and club action in Ventura County will take place in Ventura, which happens to be on the coast.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM

26 posts, read 32,731 times
I'm sure 2500-4000 would get me a nice spot but I might as well just buy the spot if I'm just gonna waste 30 or 40 grand a year on rent.

Ill check it out. Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Check out rentals in Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico. You can rent a nice ocean front high rise condo there for a lot less than $3,000. It's not far from San Diego. Restaurants in Rosarito are known for their lobster dinners.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,664,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikemikey View Post
Hi all,

I am currently live in Chicago and getting ready to move. I was thinking of Miami Beach because its filled with lots of young people and of course the warm weather, plus its cheaper. But I am not a big fan of the humidity/rain or when the temp hits 90+.

I am leaning towards Southern California since the weather is perfect to me and the scenery is so much more. I have a budget of 1300-1500 a month and would like to be close to the beach and around young people. I was thinking of San Diego by Pacific Beach. I work from home so the job market doesn't matter to me

Any suggestions or ideas would be great!
Based upon what you have budgeted, most Southern California beach communities would be out of reach. As far as the San Diego area is concerned, maybe you could check into Oceanside. Moving farther up the coast into the LA Metro area, Long Beach or the South Bay area (Lomita/Torrance) are other options.

Or perhaps you should look into Oxnard located in Ventura County or the central coast. San Luis Obispo is a city of about 47,000 with a major state university (California Polytechnic University or Cal Poly for short) and Cuesta College (2-year community college). SLO, as it's called, is located 10 miles from the nearest beach communities of Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, and Morro Bay.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Based upon what you have budgeted, most Southern California beach communities would be out of reach. As far as the San Diego area is concerned, maybe you could check into Oceanside. Moving farther up the coast into the LA Metro area, Long Beach or the South Bay area (Lomita/Torrance) are other options.

Or perhaps you should look into Oxnard located in Ventura County or the central coast. San Luis Obispo is a city of about 47,000 with a major state university (California Polytechnic University or Cal Poly for short) and Cuesta College (2-year community college). SLO, as it's called, is located 10 miles from the nearest beach communities of Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, and Morro Bay.
Great suggestions. Overall, generally, if one is considering a move to coastal California and on a tight budget, forget about moving to coastal California, unless you're positive you can be on a trajectory to be a high earner. Otherwise, you can do much better in 48 or 49 other states.

With the money you save, travel to California for trips. You'll be way ahead.

Great weather is not a compensation for a terrible commute and difficulty finding a place to live, and later, struggling to find a place to live with good schools and for a family.

If you can earn a good amount here, say 80k or more as an individual, OK - you'll have some options, but that's the bottom end if you have middle class expectations.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Not the beach but a nice newer area, Oxnard's Riverpark has some very nice apartment communities. Rents start at $1,700 for a one bedroom. You can live in an older community such as the Timbers or Los Arbolitos for around $1,200 for a 1 bedroom.

Here is one at the Harbor, and it is not the newest place in the world. It is affordable though.

Paz Mar Home - Rentals

They have a 500 square foot studio for just over $1,100 a month with a 6 month lease and $500 deposit.

Here are some more:

http://www.rentals.com/California/Oxnard/100026407/

http://www.rentals.com/California/Oxnard/187752/

http://www.rentals.com/California/Oxnard/100012630/

Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 AM

123 posts, read 175,538 times
Hello! I attend to California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, and can vouch for Sacreole's suggestions.

As previous posters have mentioned, it will be difficult finding a place in a desirable coastal location with your budget, but it is certainly not unheard of. Much of northern San Luis Obispo's apartments are marketed towards college students, so you may be able to get lucky there (but you need to time it right as Cal Poly students start looking for off campus residences early).

San Luis Obispo is roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco on Hwy 101, and coastal San Luis Obispo County offers plenty of amenities, natural and otherwise for you. Slo county is not overdeveloped like LA or San Diego, nor does it experience the horrible smog and traffic that those metros often experience. The Slo area is a metropolitan area consisting of several moderately sized cities seperated by mountain ranges and other terrain. For most people, the quality of life is very high, the weather is generally as good as it gets, the landscape is stunning, and it is safe. The population of San Luis Obispo proper is generally younger, particularly when the university is in session. Cal Poly is highly selective and attracts some incredibly smart and creative people.

Santa Maria - Moderately sized city with your typical suburban style stores and strip malls, newer communities, roughly 20 mins to the beach. 30 Mins from San Luis Obispo. 1 hr from Santa Barbara. (Santa Maria is actually in Santa Barbara County)

San Luis Obispo - (Called Slo) Small sized city in a beautiful setting with beautiful old neighborhoods, lots of great restaurants, a great downtown area, the university, nightlife. Small town feel with big city amenities. 10-15 mins to three great beaches. Slo has an airport with flights to SF, LA, and PHX. It is considered the Happiest City in America.

Arroyo Grande - Smaller city. Just minutes from the beach. Nice little downtown area. Not sure how much it offers in the way of rentals. It is predominantly made up of developed communities and rural land.

Grover Beach - Might be your best bet to find something in your price range. Just minutes from the beach.

Pismo Beach - On the beach. Great little downtown area. Perfect weather year round, great beach, beautiful setting. Might be out of your price range unless you get lucky. This would be your classic California beach town.

Avila Beach - Likely out of your price range, but a very nice beach community.

Morro Bay - Beautiful city, can get a bit cold and foggy sometimes, especially in the summer. But, lots of good restaurants. It is settled around a small bay and is right on a nice, wide beach.

Paso Robles - Inland, maybe about 40 mins to the beach. Paso's climate doesnt have a huge maritime influence, so the climate is not as mild as the other lcoations (summer highs can get hot, winter lows can get cold). Lots of good restaurants, wineries, etc.

Hope this gives you some insight into Slo county. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California