Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 21,990 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me and my wife (38 and 29 y.o.) are moving to Chico this summer because she will start attending Butte College.
I would like to know if there are any really bad areas that we should avoid to look for an apartment to rent.
Is the area east of the Esplanade (and north of Cohasset Rd) really that bad? From the neighborhood scout crime statistics (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed), it looks like there is a lot of crime over there respect to other areas of the town.

Thanks for your feedback

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My daughter always said to avoid the Ave's north of the campus.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
Yes! stay off of Rancheria Drive. Last year we just made the move to Chico for the first time and I rented an apartment on this road at around 8am in the morning. Next day after awaking in a motel I only had a car full of stuff and was moved in by 9am. All was good, then, they started waking up around noon. My peaceful little neighborhood was now a full force front yard 40oz drinking festival, with cars stopping in the middle of the road with other guys running out to the cars and doing the swapity swap swap drug deals. Their was a group walking up and down the road with a guy carrying a 2x4 peering into every car they past by, mine no exception. There was arguing and yelling, and thumping music so load my windows shook. Its now 1pm lol, no Sh*t... I packed my car up as fast as I could and I was back in the motel by 2pm. I was lucky the landlord gave me a full refund. I love Chico, I love it love it love it, but I will never walk down that street again when I move back this year. A few streets in each direction are pretty much the same. The motel manager told me this is where all the folks who get free housing live. Lesson learned, check the next rental at all hours throughout the day before agreeing to live there. I believe I was in the heart of Chico's ghetto lol..... GL on your move its a wonderful town except that area.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 AM

2 posts, read 21,990 times
Thanks to both of you for your feedback. If we thought that we should avoid the area just north of CSU, your story definitely sealed the deal!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbaldi74 View Post
From the neighborhood scout crime statistics (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed), it looks like there is a lot of crime over there respect to other areas of the town.

Thanks for your feedback
I never thought of that area as particularly high crime, but maybe it's changed over the years. Chapmantown used to be the place to avoid but it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Chico had another rape last week. The victim was a a girl walking home at 5:10am in the student housing grid south of the campus. There were two similar incidents last September if I remember correctly, also early morning hours in the same neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 10,557 times
alexbaldi74, if you're looking for a great resource to help you find a place in Chico, you should check out livinginchico.com/blog/?p=264. It doesn't give crime rates of certain sites, but you can check out the condition of apartments and judge for yourself whether it's a good area or not. For the most part, if you're looking for a safer place in Chico, stay away from the downtown college areas.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
The original post was from last May - they've probably figured it out by now.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,268 times
Hi, I am a little concerned. My husband and I need a two bedroom apartment in Chico while our home in a neighboring city is being renovated. Someone told us about the Notre Dam area. Close to mall, winco, costco, restaurants, and freeway. Does anyone know anything about the apartments in that area. We were told Chico Meadow and one on Forest were both good. Anybody care to help some out of town-ers.
Thank you in advance

Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 13,268 times
We really need help with finding a nice place to live for a few months that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. We are waiting for our home to be ready and need a nice two bedroom. Are there any places we should avoid? Places with violence or pest problems? Any suggestions would be great.
Enigma

Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM

194 posts, read 505,744 times
We lived at Forest Ave Apts for a few months. Pretty nice area, bike path to the rest of town, prices around 900/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California