Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

A little over a week ago we purchased a car. The previous owner gave us a California title for the car which had been issued in October of 2015 and the plates on the car matched as did the VIN. Everything looked good. However, when we took it to the DMV they told us the car had been registered in Arizona three weeks after the title we have was issued which makes our plates, title, and registration invalid. They suggested that we contact the seller and ask for the Arizona title.

I contacted the seller and after a couple of responses about other things I got to the real problem, he responded once that he had given us a title. I explained further that this title is invalid and that we need the Arizona title. I never heard from him again. We met him in a public setting to purchase the car so I have no idea where he actually lives since I assume the address on the title is no longer current.

We have another appointment at the DMV to ask for directions on what to do next but does anyone else have any ideas as to what we could/should do next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 10:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
The issue is--did the seller have a legal right to obtain the October 2015 title and who's on the Arizona title.

This will need to be researched--and the local DMV office generally isn't able to do that. I'm sending you a private message.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Maybe you could contact the Arizona DMV with the info you have and ask them about the registration and who they have as the owner. I would think you can deal with the AZ and CA DMVs to get this straightened out, even if you can't find the seller. I hope so, anyway.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
AZ is one of the strictest States when it comes to titles... I know this from classic car transactions.

Worse case is you may have to bond the full value of the car as a work around...

If there is an AZ title and you don't have it or are the person it was issued to... there are no simple solutions.

Sometimes Licensed Dealers can work magic... in that they are already bonded and have their license on the line if something is not right... at this point, unless you know someone... doubt that would help.

People get impatient and it can take several weeks turnaround time...

Thing is the California Title would have been surrendered when the AZ title was applied for...

It just does not add up...

This is why I complete all my transactions at the DMV window... just too many private party surprises these days...

One of my co-workers was never able to get a clear title on a car with Nevada Plates... she paid $900 for it... drove it for months and sold it for $400 as a parts car because she had exhausted all viable options...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California