Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 47,937 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to grad school in Vallejo or Davis. Can anyone tell me if either city is terrible to live in (traffic, crime, weather etc) and I'm really looking for the names of suburbs of either city; I live in the Columbia,sc suburbs right now and would like to kno if it would be worth the move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 PM

29 posts, read 164,130 times
I can not recommend Davis over Vallejo strongly enough.

Vallejo is a dump. It is very, very close to Benicia, which is unflatteringly and all too accurately called the meth capital for a reason. I very reluctantly moved to Vallejo after I looked at the crime statistics (something like 4 homicides near where I was going in the previous month alone) and I lasted 5 months. I could not move out of that town fast enough. To be fair, there are some really nice little old arts and craft era houses and up the hill there are very nice big hou$es. But if you are going to school, in all likelihood you would end up in a rough area. There is just too much filth and violent crime in that city. I never felt safe there. Also Vallejo is a long way from anything approaching a real city. It is in the sticks as they say. The nearest big city would be Oakland - a long trek across a bridge anyway you go.

Davis on the other hand, is a typical, lovely little California college town. It is like Berkeley only smaller, cleaner, and mellower in a good way (they don’t call Berkeley Bezerkley for nothing). Davis is progressive. Picture a small town with a large percentage of the population being hip. There are cool, funky shops, plus all the major stores you would expect. There are tons of restaurants, delis and cafes. I think there are some cool pubs (I don’t drink but it’s a college town so I bet I’m right). If you ride a bike, you will love it there - it is one of the most bicycle friendly towns in the country – and there are a lot of people on bikes. I did not find traffic too terrible on the days I worked there, but since it is a college town, there are periods when it is congested and periods when it is not (during school versus during breaks). For a student, however, I think you would probably like it there. And it is not too far from Sacramento which I understand has a lot of cool clubs and shows and what not (I am out of the clubbing age range but one of my old co-workers who lived in Davis used to go to some places in Old Sac frequently).

Okay a disclaimer that a friend of mine always harped about: she said everyone is the same and she felt Davis way lacks in diversity. But I worked there for awhile and loved that town. The people seemed very nice to me (and yes, I am a minority). It just gets way, way too hot in the summer for me (triple digits for too many days). If it were near the coast, I would probably be living there now.

And then there is the whole prestige of having UC Davis on your resume...hands down, Davis rules over Vallejo.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Default Davis is nice.

I went to grad school in Davis. (Don't know anything about Vallejo.) Davis is a pleasant, safe (and for California) an inexpensive place to live. The locals are friendly. It's the sort of place that I would describe as "a good place to raise children".

It's not a city, and there isn't a lot to do. However, if you are in school, you won't have much free time. And you can always go to Sacramento or even to the Bay area for entertainment. And, of course, UCD will have events of interest.

In the '80's, early '90's, the movie choices were poor--aimed at fifteen year old boys and the restaurant choices were pretty much Pizza and Chinese.

I haven't been there for fifteen years, so things may have changed.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 PM

42 posts, read 175,487 times
Another factor about Davis you may want to consider is the fact that the city council has outlawed smoking -- not just in public buildings, but anywhere outside, within 50 feet of a building. Basically, you can just do it in your own home. I'm a non-smoker, so this law doesn't affect me, though I don't mind people smoking in open, ventilated areas where I don't have to breathe it. Basically, I really don't like the government being that involved in my life...

Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 AM

8 posts, read 64,209 times
Davis is a very spread out campus this is why it is so bicycle friendly, you will need a bike to get to your classes on time if you have a packed schedule. Davis is a nice college but if your looking for a college that will have alot of things to do near it i wouldn't recommend it but out of your two choices davis is the way to go. The people aren't very outgoing at davis compared to other colleges ive gone to. Berkeley on the other hand is an amazing college and it doesn't hurt that SF is basically just down the street.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I'd also recommend Davis over Vallejo, for all the reasons stated above... I drive through Vallejo every day now, and it's not much of a town. No offense to anyone who lives there, but I wouldn't move there even though it's 15 minutes from where I work, and MUCH cheaper than where I live (SF). Davis, on the other hand, is a really nice and safe little college town... not a great deal to do up there, and it's a bit hot for my taste, but it seems like a really nice area. I almost took a job in Fairfield, and seriously considered living in Davis if I'd taken it.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlinsdude View Post
Another factor about Davis you may want to consider is the fact that the city council has outlawed smoking -- not just in public buildings, but anywhere outside, within 50 feet of a building. Basically, you can just do it in your own home. I'm a non-smoker, so this law doesn't affect me, though I don't mind people smoking in open, ventilated areas where I don't have to breathe it. Basically, I really don't like the government being that involved in my life...
Really?? Wow, that's annoying. I am a smoker, and completely understand & abide by the inside smoking laws... I don't like the smell either, which is why I don't smoke inside my home, so those laws aren't a problem. But if you tell me I can't even smoke outside or in my own home, that's taking things too far! Sheesh, why don't they just outlaw cigarettes altogether already?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 326,767 times
Default Caution

I would recommend not moving to Vallejo. Vallejo is in a nose dive to Hell. I was stabbed on my own porch and have had 5 friends shot and killed in the last 2 years in Vallejo. When I get the money I am moving out of Vallejo soon. Vallejo is known as one of the highest drug trafficking cities in the bay area. It was ranked as the 2nd most drug ridden city in the Northern part of the East Bay in 2006-2007 and city leaders are predicting that it will go back to its old history of when Vallejo was the murder capital of the U.S. If you want to come here than you most likely will get into drugs and if you refuse to buy than you will get the crap kicked out of you or get shot on the spot. There are some nice areas but the gangs and drugs have already infested those areas as well. Vallejo may not look the part like Esat Oakland does but we hear sirens, street fights, and gunshots every night. I think it would be best to go to Davis. Its safe and a nice looking town. good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 23,961 times
Vallejo Veteren Here, East Side Is The Squarest, Safest Place To Stay. Glen Cove, All The "wood" Streets, Greenwood, Oakwood, Etc. Also, Up By Cosco And Central Vallejo. Man, Just Stay Away From The Dope Fiends, Some Of Em Look Normal. We Got A Big White Dope Prob Over Here. The Weed Is Better Than Over There Though.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 47,937 times
thanks everyone for ur input! i def kno now don't live in Vallejo!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California