Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
60s is fairly cool for an inside temperature, it would require a sweater/maybe a light jacket depending on your sensitivity to the cold.
Well yes. I assumed people would wear those in the cooler months. I was wearing a sweater most of the time in San Francisco, rarely took it off. Wearing one now, too.

Quote:
I think 75F is an optimal inside temperature.
Maybe in summer, in winter that's an enormous waste of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
60s isn't normal inside? Maybe low 60s, but otherwise.
No, it's not normal on the east coast. I keep my house in SC between 70-72 in the winter. It's 52 outside right now at 7:45 pm, my furnace is set at 72. I would be as uncomfortable as the OP if it was 50's out and no heat on inside businesses/restaurants, just sayin'.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Plenty of people heat their homes to the 60s on this part of the east coast

Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM

699 posts, read 611,185 times
Quote:
Plenty of people heat their homes to the 60s on this part of the east coast
They do, but because they want to save money.

Anyways, here in Miami my room temperature is 79 F, and that's with no heat or AC. Just sun during the day, and appliances and lights (generating heat) right now.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
They do, but because they want to save money.
70s feels too warm in the winter, and if you're going in and out you have deal with taking off layers fast or you'll sweat.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
70s feels too warm in the winter, and if you're going in and out you have deal with taking off layers fast or you'll sweat.
Eh, maybe to you. There is no way to settle debate. I'll just say that in a mid 60s room, I will feel more comfortable with a jacket than without a jacket. Even if I came from a cold outside, and I should know cold, my family is back in Boston - your neck of the woods.

In fact, it feels especially cold if I come from a cold outside since my body craves heat more probably because I'm constantly cold and desperately crave to warm up. When I go to the Northeast or Midwest on business in the winter, I set the hotel thermostat to 80. Of course I wouldn't do that in somebody's house because that would waste a lot of energy and their money.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Eh, maybe to you. There is no way to settle debate. I'll just say that in a mid 60s room, I will feel more comfortable with a jacket than without a jacket. Even if I came from a cold outside, and I should know cold, my family is back in Boston - your neck of the woods.
I would, top. Or at least a sweater. But why would that mean it's too cold?

Quote:
When I go to the Northeast or Midwest on business in the winter, I set the hotel thermostat to 80. Of course I wouldn't do that in somebody's house because that would waste a lot of energy and their money.
Yikes. The cheap hotel I was in in San Francisco had no room thermostat — my room was in the mid 70s. I opened the windows. Hot room temperatures feel worse in the winter, air feels drier and stuffier than say high 70s inside with a breeze going through and fans.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yikes. The cheap hotel I was in in San Francisco had no room thermostat — my room was in the mid 70s. I opened the windows. Hot room temperatures feel worse in the winter, air feels drier and stuffier than say high 70s inside with a breeze going through and fans.
I guess I don't consider 70s to be "hot room temperatures". Here in Miami, if daytime highs fall in the mid or low 70s, we call that a 'cold snap.'

I try to AC my townhouse here as little as possible. I actually have two AC units, one for the first floor, and another for the second floor. In the summer, I will AC during the day, and allow natural air at night, but pretty much my inside room temperature throughout the year hovers around 80 F. And that to me is comfortable though 75F would be ideal. At 70F I'm already cold, and will wear a sweater.

I guess for people in colder climates, 70s can feel to be a "hot room temperature".

Old 01-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't consider 70s to be "hot room temperatures". Here in Miami, if daytime highs fall in the mid or low 70s, we call that a 'cold snap.'

I try to AC my townhouse here as little as possible. I actually have two AC units, one for the first floor, and another for the second floor. In the summer, I will AC during the day, and allow natural air at night, but pretty much my inside room temperature throughout the year hovers around 80 F. And that to me is comfortable though 75F would be ideal. At 70F I'm already cold, and will wear a sweater.

I guess for people in colder climates, 70s can feel to be a "hot room temperature".
I actually don't own an A/C, my room is typically in the high 70s in the summer maybe a bit hotter midday and cooler by early morning, though it's warmer than my ideal it's still tolerable. But my temperature preferences and dressing choices change with the seasons. Right now, mid 70s would feel like a hot room temperature to me and because heat is dry, it would feel dry and stuffy to me. I'd probably do the same as you A/C-wise if I lived in Miami, maybe slightly more A/C, dunno really living in a place where I often get cooler inside summer temperatures without A/C.

I met someone from Miami who claimed you didn't A/C everyday in the summer there. He was living in Portland, Oregon for the summer. It was a cool summer day when I visited him in early July, indoor temperature dropped into the high 60s — so he turned on the heat. I was rather surprised, you sound like him.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I met someone from Miami who claimed you didn't A/C everyday in the summer there. He was living in Portland, Oregon for the summer. It was a cool summer day when I visited him in early July, indoor temperature dropped into the high 60s — so he turned on the heat. I was rather surprised, you sound like him.
There are people who AC everyday of the year here, and some who don't AC at all. It partly depends on where you live.

You live in a penthouse on the 50th floor with windows opening the ocean - You don't need to AC even in the summer. The ocean breezes are quite nice, even when it's 90s.

But, for those of us who don't live in such conditions, my townhouse for example is obviously ground to second floor, then even I need to AC.

In July, we won't see even see mornings in the 60s. our record low for July is 66 F, and our average low for July is 78 F. So I don't know how he gets his indoors to the high 60s, he must be ACing, or his room is in a building that is climate controlled.

Edit:

Oh that was in Portland, the story? Not in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California