Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM

21 posts, read 45,622 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, first time poster,

I grew up in southern CA, went to Santa Cruz for undergrad, then Omaha, NE for pharmacy school, and now, I got a job offer in Chico, CA. The one thing I remember reading about it back in high school was that it's a college town, the college being known as a party school. Being the cautious type, I accepted the job offer, since other companies weren't exactly breaking down my door

So, since its more or less official, I plan on looking for a place around April (I told my employer I'd be willing to start at the beginning of June). I'm curious, where in the city is a good place for a single guy in his late 20's to live in? Maybe a happy medium between frat row and a retirement village?

Also, since I won't know anyone out there, where would be a good place to meet people? Are there a lot of clubs/groups/meetup.com stuff to do/join? Thanks!

Last edited by hye345; 01-06-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,595 times
I think you could live anywhere really. If you want to avoid the college scene, maybe avoid living south of Chico State. I would avoid Nord Ave as well. Esplanade is a lovely street and there are some decent apartments there. I lived in Chico about 8 years ago, so things may have changes since then. I assume it is still a fairly safe place. The college does dominate there, but since you are young, that shouldn't be much of a problem for you. There are a lot of great outdoor activities in Chico, and a really good sense of community. Yes, there are a lot of bars and a lot of crazy nightlife, but there is so much more than that. You should be able to find a good place to live and lots of things to do. People there are really friendly. Many people settle down there after going to Chico State, so it really is a city filled with people who grew up in other places. You should feel right at home.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
There are tons of places to live in Chico. If you want to avoid the college I'd say look at a map and draw a mile to two mile circle around it, then live outside that circle. Chico has grown tremendously over the past 10 years or so and will likely continue to do so.

One nice thing about Chico is that it's a pretty centralized location: two hours to Sacramento, two hours to the mountains, and two hours to the coast.

Downtown is pretty nice too and there are amenities to suit pretty much any need.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I'd move back to Chico in a heartbeat is all I got. It can be a great area if you have a decent income and like outdoor activities.

I would avoid living south of Chico State.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 AM

175 posts, read 250,418 times
He got more answers here than the Sacramento forum where I said I might move back up north and wondered about the California Park area. Is that a good area?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM

70 posts, read 81,972 times
Default Chicochico

My wife and I met in Chico, got married at "Five Mile" on a May morning.

Chico is most likely the best valley town in Calif., the park is great and the original town was well planned.

The things I like best about Chico.
1. Great restaurants
2. Mild winters, some fog to deal with.
3. Easy access to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area
4. The undiscovered Lassen National Park, great X-country skiing, miles of little used trails for hiking. Surrounding National Forest is also amazing.
What most Flat Landers don't know is the Lassen area is all volcanic, which means porous soil, which means thousands of natural springs that you can drink directly from the source.
5. Real fishing from high mountain streams.
6. Access to farms in the valley, great produce, orchard fruit, meat on the hoof.

You will find Chico a fine place in Butte County.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 PM

479 posts, read 431,902 times
Default Yes

Chico area is nice! Check out Paradise, too... a little bit cooler in the summer since it's a little higher up... About 20 minutes or so to Chico.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 AM

114 posts, read 111,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hye345 View Post
Hi everyone, first time poster,

I grew up in southern CA, went to Santa Cruz for undergrad, then Omaha, NE for pharmacy school, and now, I got a job offer in Chico, CA. The one thing I remember reading about it back in high school was that it's a college town, the college being known as a party school. Being the cautious type, I accepted the job offer, since other companies weren't exactly breaking down my door

So, since its more or less official, I plan on looking for a place around April (I told my employer I'd be willing to start at the beginning of June). I'm curious, where in the city is a good place for a single guy in his late 20's to live in? Maybe a happy medium between frat row and a retirement village?

Also, since I won't know anyone out there, where would be a good place to meet people? Are there a lot of clubs/groups/meetup.com stuff to do/join? Thanks!
As a native Chicoan, I've never been convinced that Chico's as wild as outside journalists make it out to be. Some writers tend to paint this place as if half the town is Delta Tau Chi from Animal House. Really, it's not, so don't worry. There are newbie college students who come here from out of town believing that it's a raging party town and try to perpetuate the stereotype, but the real Chico isn't quite like that.

What is your budget for an apartment? For a young professional there are a few complexes that might be good for you, like Sterling Oaks or Forest Avenue Apartments; also Sheridan Square on East 1st Avenue is great. Those are a bit pricier for Chico, but you're not going to find many (if any) rambunctious neighbors there. There are places in the Avenues between The Esplanade and Mangrove Avenue that might also suit you, sometimes older homes have a "back unit", a studio or one bedroom apartment that is kind of it's own little house, those can be great for single adults.

What pharmacy will you be working for? That might help narrow down good places to live, depending on how close you want to live to work. Really you can get anywhere in Chico by car in 12-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
He got more answers here than the Sacramento forum where I said I might move back up north and wondered about the California Park area. Is that a good area?
California Park is one of the nicer family neighborhoods in Chico. Are you thinking about buying a house? Houses there are usually in the $325,000-400,000+ range. I haven't heard anything bad about the apartments that are on the north end of California Park. There are also some nice condos near the lake which makes for pretty scenery.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:37 PM

21 posts, read 45,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radaghast View Post
As a native Chicoan, I've never been convinced that Chico's as wild as outside journalists make it out to be. Some writers tend to paint this place as if half the town is Delta Tau Chi from Animal House. Really, it's not, so don't worry. There are newbie college students who come here from out of town believing that it's a raging party town and try to perpetuate the stereotype, but the real Chico isn't quite like that.

What is your budget for an apartment? For a young professional there are a few complexes that might be good for you, like Sterling Oaks or Forest Avenue Apartments; also Sheridan Square on East 1st Avenue is great. Those are a bit pricier for Chico, but you're not going to find many (if any) rambunctious neighbors there. There are places in the Avenues between The Esplanade and Mangrove Avenue that might also suit you, sometimes older homes have a "back unit", a studio or one bedroom apartment that is kind of it's own little house, those can be great for single adults.

What pharmacy will you be working for? That might help narrow down good places to live, depending on how close you want to live to work. Really you can get anywhere in Chico by car in 12-15 minutes depending on traffic.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at a few property management websites (livinginchico.com, etc...), came across some good future prospects. My budget is maybe $700-800/month, give or take $100. I'll probably be looking at one-bedrooms mostly.

I'll be working for CVS (still in the midst of the hiring process), but still not sure which exact one, I'll be give that info within the next few months hopefully.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM

194 posts, read 505,990 times
There is an active Outdoor Adventure meetup group in Chico. Lots of great outings. Full range of ages and personalities in the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California