Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A lot of people are working their butts off just to keep the roof over their heads. They don't have the time or energy or money to go to the beach or the mountains.

I get tired of these snooty, arrogant "We're superior. Take it or leave it for flyover territory" type posts. There are ways that CA could be better....but of course, it won't be with that prevailing arrogant attitude. I especially don't get why you have this attitude since you were effectively forced out of the Bay Area because of the high costs.
I'm the perfect example of someone who was forced out of the Bay Area, because of the cost, and accepts it as reasonable. The Bay Area does not owe anyone a cheap housing opportunity just because they want one.

I grew up in the East Bay. Moved away for many years. Moved back to the South Bay, and can't afford to live there in retirement.

Does the Bay Area owe me an affordable apartment? No.

I have absolutely no animosity in this fact. I also can't afford Paris or London, and they don't owe me the right to live there affordably either.

Get over yourselves people. Figure out how to afford to live in the area of CA you want to live in or move somewhere else. It's called growing up. Wah wah, I'm not rich. Get over it or get rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm the perfect example of someone who was forced out of the Bay Area, because of the cost, and accepts it as reasonable. The Bay Area does not owe anyone a cheap housing opportunity just because they want one.
But there's a big difference between offering a "cheap housing opportunity" and not making a reasonable effort to build new housing. The Bay Area & most of Coastal CA south of Santa Rosa fall into the latter category. The Bay Area is so far from "cheap housing" it's laughable to even think we're in danger of it ever happening.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
But there's a big difference between offering a "cheap housing opportunity" and not making a reasonable effort to build new housing. The Bay Area & most of Coastal CA south of Santa Rosa fall into the latter category. The Bay Area is so far from "cheap housing" it's laughable to even think we're in danger of it ever happening.
Why do you feel anyone is owed cheap housing (or affordable on any particular salary) in the Bay Area? Nobody is. Get over it.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:37 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
yeah, we're in a food chain dang it!
_____ 'em.
go 1% ... have it all.
who gives a _____ ?!

Old 01-31-2016, 06:24 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You never know what you're getting into when you buy a condo or townhouse.
Um, inspection report? Decent realtor? Reading the HOA's Rules and Regulations and monthly meeting minutes before even thinking of purchasing? Sounds like your friend did none of that. She shouldn't be blaming her problems on the property she bought.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
A lot of people are working their butts off just to keep the roof over their heads. They don't have the time or energy or money to go to the beach or the mountains.
Most in the valley, Nerds at least, do not venture over the Santa Cruz Mountains that often, way too busy writing code or working 12 hour days.

I saw the same thing in Miami and the beaches were way more accessible, warmer and full of hot woman in skimpy bikinis, tons of eye candy, yet a lot of people in the office were as White as the driven snow and said they have not been to the beach in years.

You'd be amazed the amount of people that live near desirable coastal areas and do not even care if they see it.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why do you feel anyone is owed cheap housing (or affordable on any particular salary) in the Bay Area? Nobody is. Get over it.
Eventually it will pop, tech bubble is coming 3rd quarter 2016.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What I want to know... How do people afford to live in California?

I recently just had another CA job opportunity- Long Beach, CA, starting salary $75-85K. From what I can see on Zillow - a decent house in the area STARTS at $500K, and it would be better to pay $600K+ WTF!?!?

I just..... don't get it. There's no way I can make that move, even though it would be a "step up" in my career. I currently make $51K and my mortgage costs me $900 right now - 36% of my net income. If I blanked out my savings and begged for help from my and my wife's family, we could come up with the $130K for 20% down on a $600K house... but our mortgage would still be 2400 - about 52% of net take home off of an 80K salary. I would have to pray that my wife got a great job just to get back to the place we are right now.

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18% depending on their offer, AND I would have to blank out my savings.

I previously had a similar opportunity in Fremont, CA, where the housing cost:wage ratio seemed even more out of whack. They were going to pay about $90K but decent houses were in the $750K+ range.

I've been to SF Bay area, LA/OC area and San Diego area a handful of times and liked it... but it didn't seem like the streets were paved with gold. I feel quite privileged with even being able to have these kinds of opportunities... makes me wonder how it is for people who make much less money. It must be terrible.
Jobs are not always about numbers. You need to be analyzing your career path and what the job (Title and work) can do for you in the future (i.e 10 years down the road). Once you are inside a company and prospering you will have many more options about where to live. Besides everyone should move around early in their career to gain experience.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
This is what we should do, but refuse to do. Everyone agrees we need more housing, but there's always a "but":

"But not in my neighborhood".
"But not that many units in my neigbhorhood"

"but, but, but".

All of the "buts" severely limit the number of new housing units that come online and then everyone acts so shocked at how high home prices and rents are...or alternatively they get egotistical about it and say "Oh, well it's just such a wonderful, high demand area, how could you not expect to pay through the nose???"
A lot of projects... expansion and infill never make it...

There is a running discussion on home being built in Dublin California and how ugly they are and a blight on the hills...

It took almost 5 years from the time my friend submitted plans to build on his city lot in Oakland to the time he moved in... Design review controls just about everything... type of rain gutters, roof, how long an individual wall can be...

There are areas in CA with rent control if unlimited increase is a concern.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:25 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Most in the valley, Nerds at least, do not venture over the Santa Cruz Mountains that often, way too busy writing code or working 12 hour days.

I saw the same thing in Miami and the beaches were way more accessible, warmer and full of hot woman in skimpy bikinis, tons of eye candy, yet a lot of people in the office were as White as the driven snow and said they have not been to the beach in years.

You'd be amazed the amount of people that live near desirable coastal areas and do not even care if they see it.
Stop and consider the obvious.........if they don't work 12 hours they are going back to India so that is higher priority than the boardwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California