Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:46 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwuwei View Post
Bc i dont live in california lol.. Thanks for the insight chimerique that sounds like what ive heard..

Let me put it this way:

Where in california am I most likely to find a mad hatter party in a secret garden with hookahs tea and wood nymphs?

Thats where i want to move.
Not Santa Barbara OR Ventura. Try Humboldt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
My responses are in bold.
Glad you agree with me for the most part.

Though I disagree on your assessment of Sacramento.

They always catch urban trends like 10 years later than SF and LA. For the most part they do everything backwards.

They have no good shopping so near by suburbs like Roseville pick up the slack to become the region's premier shopping destination.

They completely under utilize the water front and refuse to build a baseball stadium, so West Sac next door picks up the slack.

All the major office parks are in Rancho Cordova, Roseville and Rocklin. The tech company HP is in Roseville, Intel is in Folsom, and Apple in Elk Grove.

The voters and city leaders are terribly backwards there.

Sacramento also has the lowest density of all the major CA metros. If anyone is a giant suburb, it is Sacramento.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Have you been in SJ lately? Meridian was closed yesterday b/c someone shot at a police officer during a traffic stop with a high-powered rifle! All hell is breaking loose here, and it's only getting worse by the weeky.
"All hell is breaking loose here."

Seriously? That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? Overall, San Jose still is a safe city. Crime can happen anywhere. People get all dramatic and act like SJ is becoming the wild west. When I grew up in the 80's/90's, San Jose's crime rate was higher than it is now. The East Side was actually much worse back then. San Jose's biggest issue with crime is due to the dysfunctional politics going on between the city and the PD.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Glad you agree with me for the most part.

Though I disagree on your assessment of Sacramento.

They always catch urban trends like 10 years later than SF and LA. For the most part they do everything backwards.

They have no good shopping so near by suburbs like Roseville pick up the slack to become the region's premier shopping destination.

They completely under utilize the water front and refuse to build a baseball stadium, so West Sac next door picks up the slack.

All the major office parks are in Rancho Cordova, Roseville and Rocklin. The tech company HP is in Roseville, Intel is in Folsom, and Apple in Elk Grove.

The voters and city leaders are terribly backwards there.

Sacramento also has the lowest density of all the major CA metros. If anyone is a giant suburb, it is Sacramento.
Hey, we're not the one with 1 million residents and a downtown skyline that resembles a suburban office park...But you're right, Sac is a low density town yet it always beats SJ in every CD city vs city poll. Always! SJ needs to come back to earth and stop comparing itself with Philadelphia, Zurich, Auckland, and Minneapolis when it can't hardly beat Sacramento. Stick to your peers.

Anyway, the RiverCats minor league stadium is on the edge of downtown unlike the SJ Earthquakes stadium, which is little farther away from downtown SJ. I can name you a lot of teams that don't play in the city they represent...the LA Galaxy and the SF Niners play in Carson and Santa Clara, respectively.

I expect SJ to have better shopping experience since it has much higher income level in a wealthier region than Sacramento proper/region. Duh!

The reality is SJ and Sac have strip malls, cul-de-sac homes, suburban shopping malls and are car-dependent. Neither one is a model for urbanism and high
density. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a San Jose hater - I've enjoyed myself there on past visits There are certain aspects of SJ that I like (having a downtown university being one of them) but I don't see one city being arguably better than the other. Sac is my hometown, born and raised, so I am obviously biased. I find Sac to have a little bit more personality that's all.

I'll leave this here, from a March 2016 study by FiveThirtyEight
San Jose 'Most Forgettable Major American City': Study
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...american-city/

Last edited by pistola916; 03-14-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
I'll do some more, because why not?
  • Riverside: Smoggy, beautiful homes, hardscrabble, Mt. Rubidoux, practically desert, great downtown, Riverssippi
  • Palm Springs: Desert, small, relaxing, resort, charming, gay
  • Bakersfield: Dusty, cowtown, oil, oil wells, oil, country music, Dwight Yoakam, Kevin McCarthy, Tehachapis
  • Fremont: Suburban, kinda greenish for California, flat, low crime, Tesla, Afghan community, otherwise boring
  • Irvine: flat, beige, sterile, boring, snobby, prosperous, intelligent, innovative, University of Chinese and Indians (I went to UCI)!
  • South Lake Tahoe: Snobby pretentious Silicon Valley vacationers, beautiful, lake, snow, skiing, redwoods, more beauty, pretty much western Nevada

Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'll do some more, because why not?
  • Riverside: Smoggy, beautiful homes, hardscrabble, Mt. Rubidoux, practically desert, great downtown, Riverssippi
  • Palm Springs: Desert, small, relaxing, resort, charming, gay
  • Bakersfield: Dusty, cowtown, oil, oil wells, oil, country music, Dwight Yoakam, Kevin McCarthy, Tehachapis
  • Fremont: Suburban, kinda greenish for California, flat, low crime, Tesla, Afghan community, otherwise boring
  • Irvine: flat, beige, sterile, boring, snobby, prosperous, intelligent, innovative, University of Chinese and Indians (I went to UCI)!
  • South Lake Tahoe: Snobby pretentious Silicon Valley vacationers, beautiful, lake, snow, skiing, redwoods, more beauty, pretty much western Nevada
I agree with your descriptions and thanks for the ones I don't know well like Riverside.

South Lake Tahoe - Giant Redwoods are very very uncommon in Tahoe. Rather Jeffrey Pine, White Fir, Ponderosa Pine are the trees of Tahoe. I find a different vibe between Western Nevada and South Lake Tahoe. South Lake Tahoe is a NorCal town through and through, and it feels like it is. As close as it is to Nevada, the vibe, weather and geography are so different. Reno and the Carson Valley is the high desert, practically treeless and bone dry. Tahoe is wooded, green and it gets a lot of precipitation.

I totally get the "snobby pretentious Silicon Valley vacationers"...and other Bay Area types, LOL, they are so obnoxious and they so do NOT fit the vibe of Tahoe. Granted there is a ton of money coming from the Bay Area into Tahoe. I think of Tahoe as Sacramento's big backyard mountain oasis.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-14-2016 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 AM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
San Diego - Midwest transplant turned native Californian - values being stoned, getting drunk, surfing, and doing absolutely nothing productive.

Los Angeles - Mexican hipster, loves Indy Rock, coloring his hair, ear gauges, finger nail polish and a skateboard. Oh did I mention skinny jeans?

San Francisco - incredibly sterioded out and strung out White gay man who is always tired of the homeless pooping near the stoop of his townhouse.

San Jose - Pasty Asian 20-something, in office garb, shy, small, short, skinny but absolutely in love with WOW, Star Craft and anything with a keyboard.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:19 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
San Diego - Midwest transplant turned native Californian - values being stoned, getting drunk, surfing, and doing absolutely nothing productive.

Los Angeles - Mexican hipster, loves Indy Rock, coloring his hair, ear gauges, finger nail polish and a skateboard. Oh did I mention skinny jeans?

San Francisco - incredibly sterioded out and strung out White gay man who is always tired of the homeless pooping near the stoop of his townhouse.

San Jose - Pasty Asian 20-something, in office garb, shy, small, short, skinny but absolutely in love with WOW, Star Craft and anything with a keyboard.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 PM

282 posts, read 618,472 times
LA: Expensive & smoggy
San Diego: Expensive & sunny
San Francisco: Really Expensive & foggy
San Jose: Expensive & Techie
Sacramento: Cheap for a reason

Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Chico - Charming, parties, green, cool fun college town, isolated, Aaron Rodgers, Chico State, huge Valley Oaks, Sacramento Valley, sexy country boys, where the Cascades meet the Sierras, Bidwell Park, yo-yo's!

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-15-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California