Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Please teach me how to not be this way.
I see two paths as options:

1. Eschew material things and live the contemplative life of a monk-like aesthetic - perhaps in the most natural surroundings you can survive in - laboring as necessary to acquire the minimal nourishments and securities to survive - extending love and appreciation whenever safe and possible to everyone and everything you come in contact with.

Or, alternatively:

2. Buy a pathetic, rotting, old boat and spend your life laboring to keep it afloat while hanging on to the fading illusion that it will take you around the world in a life of freedom and adventure.

Of course, in all three options, then you die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
I know what you mean OP. I had some relatives and when they immigrated to this country they started a small farm and worked it for some time. I hear the farm land now is quite valuable. It's known as the Chelsea neighborhood of Boston.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hard to follow Chuck's story, but I'll chime in about my boat I live on, okay? She was a diamond in the rough when I first saw her. A wreck, really. 1958 classic 20 footer with a cuddy cabin you can sit up in but not stand, of course. Bought her for $3,000 and sunk another $3 or so grand into some restoration. Sewed up a nifty canvas cockpit tent complete with clear vinyl covers over screen panels so I have air flow without bugs but can cover whichever side the rain might show up on. Made a composting head out of a Home Depot bucket with a $12 toilet seat, installed a nifty propane camping stove that even has a little oven. Strung little Christmas twinkle lights inside the cuddy cabin and got a great old vented propane heater (although I rarely need to use it now down in San Diego). Made my own ice chest under the back bench seat out of insulating foam panels. 2" of foam keeps ice on average about 10 days at a time in moderate weather. She's a looker now! Conversation starter whenever I go out. Probably could get half my money back if I sold her, but I'm in love. So it's home.
I have a dear friend on the East Coast who keeps a new 46' Hunter, fully loaded, as his weekend toy, but he is considering living on it full time. His master bedroom is quite spacious as is the main area was reasonably large, and it is where two of us always slept. The second bedroom was snug to say the least. I could never live in that small a space. Thus I am trying to envision what a 20 footer must be like to live on. WOW.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I have a dear friend on the East Coast who keeps a new 46' Hunter, fully loaded, as his weekend toy, but he is considering living on it full time. His master bedroom is quite spacious as is the main area was reasonably large, and it is where two of us always slept. The second bedroom was snug to say the least. I could never live in that small a space. Thus I am trying to envision what a 20 footer must be like to live on. WOW.
I can domicile in a shoebox, happily. That said, I live at large. I wander. I have several smaller boats that I row and paddle and sail. I also have two other sailboats that are bigger. One on the hard (land) for a refit. Another I also keep in the water and camp on part of the time. But, the little 20 footer has won my affection for now. Power boats are much bigger aboard for their length than are sailboats. I find more space on the little cuddy cabin 20 footer with its tent, than I do on the 24' catamaran I was living on in SF Bay.

And I spend LOTS of time off the boats. I camp out of my little Toyota pickup with canopy - and I have a diesel van I use for towing. If you live simple enough, just a bag or two along with, you are home wherever you go

Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Sounds like a lot of people are happy with their situations even though they may not be from a wealthy standpoint. If your happy that's the real wealth.
My little story is pure luck. Bought a little 2/1 house on a short sale in the east bay for $136k, put $20K into it, sold it from appreciation of 18 months for $350K. Nothing genius on my part, just darn lucky. Took the money and bought rentals in the upper midwest all cash. Gross rents are about $6500 a month and using the 50% rule it leave me with $3250 net a month. I moved to a cheaper place and that money helps me live a retired life.
Miss the Ca weather, but knowing I am pretty much set for life with no debt more than compensates for it.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 PM

282 posts, read 618,472 times
I'm priced out

Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Epic troll post, an all-star cast

Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,525 times
in 2000 I turned my back on the establishment and bought a pickup with a sleeper camper. I now drive from WalMart parking lot to WalMart parking lot living in my camper. I live the good life and eat out of the garbage cans of the finest restaurants. But don't envy my life as you inch along the freeway in your metal coffins working a job you hate to buy things you don't need.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:48 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
OP: "When you make it to the end zone try acting like you've been there before." Paul Bear Bryant

Old 04-06-2016, 03:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Tell me more, Grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California