Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:15 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times

Advertisements

I bought my house in Rancho Cucamonga, North of The 210 Freeway for 360K back in the early 2000's. Now today that value today will buy you a house in Hemit, Victorville, Barstow, or Coachella Valley which i don't find attractive areas. You won't find the same deals in Chino Hills or Claremont anymore, those days are over.

Within a 10 mile radius of where i live, there has been non-stop construction of Orange County-like quality communities. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw they were asking 800K for a new built 2015 House. There's almost zero crime here, just as safe as Irvine. I go jogging in the mornings and pass by million dollar mansions with VERY well kept lawns, gated driveway, and huge water fountains.

So i just shared my story of rapid increased estate appreciation value due to high demand in the market. If you're comfortable enough, i'd like to hear your story.

Last edited by I Love Buildings; 04-02-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Well, thanks for sharing that. I'm sure all of us who can barely afford to live in coastal California are now feeling a lot better.
Can i send you a private message with my address so you can send me a check? 20K will go a long way.
C'mon dude. Help a not so young girl out who lives in a 40 year trailer in the redwoods.

I have a friend who bought a 3 family house in the Boston area in 1975 for 50K and now it's worth 2 million. So there.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
I got married two years ago because I got tired of dating supermodels. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, god, so much work to do the juggling. I had 2 phones, that worked well. Also got tiring, because it was so hard to choose. At one point, I only chose swimsuit models with philosophy degrees.

When I was a little younger, I used to destroy Michael Jordan in 1 on 1, in yes, basketball. I have an outside touch that Steph Curry would envy. Sure Jordan is faster and stronger, but I could always get far enough away to bury it. Over and over again, it was fun. He used to play 1 on 1 with strangers if they'd bet him, he'd usually do it one-armed. With me, he was full strength. But I never bothered with the NBA, too much work, really.

I have no need for such ego gratification. I could tell you more stories, but I'm bored now. Real estate is for dorks, when I made my first $10 mil at real estate, I sold all my properties. It's tiring.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I bought my house in Rancho Cucamonga, North of The 210 Freeway for 360K back in the early 2000's.
So if it's on the market,where are you moving?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Hard to follow Chuck's story, but I'll chime in about my boat I live on, okay? She was a diamond in the rough when I first saw her. A wreck, really. 1958 classic 20 footer with a cuddy cabin you can sit up in but not stand, of course. Bought her for $3,000 and sunk another $3 or so grand into some restoration. Sewed up a nifty canvas cockpit tent complete with clear vinyl covers over screen panels so I have air flow without bugs but can cover whichever side the rain might show up on. Made a composting head out of a Home Depot bucket with a $12 toilet seat, installed a nifty propane camping stove that even has a little oven. Strung little Christmas twinkle lights inside the cuddy cabin and got a great old vented propane heater (although I rarely need to use it now down in San Diego). Made my own ice chest under the back bench seat out of insulating foam panels. 2" of foam keeps ice on average about 10 days at a time in moderate weather. She's a looker now! Conversation starter whenever I go out. Probably could get half my money back if I sold her, but I'm in love. So it's home.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I got married two years ago because I got tired of dating supermodels. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, god, so much work to do the juggling. I had 2 phones, that worked well. Also got tiring, because it was so hard to choose. At one point, I only chose swimsuit models with philosophy degrees.

When I was a little younger, I used to destroy Michael Jordan in 1 on 1, in yes, basketball. I have an outside touch that Steph Curry would envy. Sure Jordan is faster and stronger, but I could always get far enough away to bury it. Over and over again, it was fun. He used to play 1 on 1 with strangers if they'd bet him, he'd usually do it one-armed. With me, he was full strength. But I never bothered with the NBA, too much work, really.

I have no need for such ego gratification. I could tell you more stories, but I'm bored now. Real estate is for dorks, when I made my first $10 mil at real estate, I sold all my properties. It's tiring.
I know the feeling. When I bought 100 acres of Orchard land in Palo Alto and turned them into subdivisions I made a killing, can definitely relate.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
OP, I'm happy for you that you bought before the crazy bubble and crash. And that it's working out to be a great investment for you. Nothing wrong with being happy with your decisions and investments.

I have a baby scale story, but it was in WA. I bought a 2 acre parcel for $16,000, which was a good deal back then, a bit under market. The only reason it hadn't sold, was because everyone hated the guy selling it. Silly small town people.

So, I bought it and talked him into an owner contract I could afford. My credit was terrible. He insisted on $4,000 down, even though I wanted to give him $2,000 down, so I'd have some money to put toward drilling a well. He said no. I said okay. I'm sure he hoped I'd default, so he could keep the money and sell it again. This guy was a notorious, litigious shyster.

What this guy did, was he'd buy property, and cut and sell the timber on it for profit, then sell the land. He cut down the trees on my 2 acres, but left a large swath along the highway of trees, thinking it wouldn't sell without them. The highway frontage with the trees was about 40 feet wide and almost 600 feet long. Covered in Douglas Fir trees.

Then, I discovered all the trees were at an all time high selling price. So, I checked my contract and lo and behold, there was no timber clause that would keep me from selling the trees while under contract. So, I sold those trees and put in a well. And a gravel driveway and a septic tank, an electric pole, and put up a fence. I lived in an Airstream trailer on it.

The improvements cost me around $10,000 - $4,000 profit from the trees = $6,000 out of pocket. So, I had about $22,000 into it. Sold it two years later to my septic tank installer for full price at $47,000. He wouldn't give me my asking price until I listed it with a realtor, so I paid her 6% LOL. He kept giving me ridiculous low-ball offers. So about $3,000 to the agent. My profit was $22,000 in 2 years. This was around 1994. The place was on the main highway, in a desirable location. And the septic tank installer ran a white water rafting operation about 1 mile down the road. He wanted to put a house on my property, so he'd be close to his business.

Then I left WA for good to come back to CA. Bought a condo in Davis, CA, and stupidly sold that one LOL. That would have been my big profit story. Live and learn. I hated the HOA.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-02-2016 at 10:19 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I bought my house in Rancho Cucamonga, North of The 210 Freeway for 360K back in the early 2000's. Now today that value today will buy you a house in Hemit, Victorville, Barstow, or Coachella Valley which i don't find attractive areas. You won't find the same deals in Chino Hills or Claremont anymore, those days are over.
OP, are you sure someone didn't fib to you? Of course, you did say that those "deals" can no longer be found in Rancho Cucamonga, but you insinuated it.

The median sale pending price for a SFR in Rancho Cucamonga is $505,690.
https://www.redfin.com/city/15390/CA...ingent+pending

The asking price for this one is only $294,000. So, yes, there are still "bargains" to be had in Rancho Cucamonga.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Cuc...0/home/3284483

Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times
^ I guess there are some decent 500K deal, however the community that i'm sticking to is right beneath the mountains, i can walk to the hiking trails from my neighborhood and we all have city light views at night from our streets. The very northern area is upscale. Look at Alta Loma and Northern Etiwanda to see the 800K-Million range.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 5,338 times
There are plenty of stories. There isn't a parcel of land in this area that hasn't at least doubled in value in 15 years, hell the last 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California