Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Atascadero is one big long strip mall. I'd say that would be a pretty damn good example.

There is a TON of stuff to do in this county... I was ridiculously busy when I was a teenager and never even had time to complain about there being 'nothing to do'. Maybe people need to get hobbies that don't involve simply spending money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Dude? What is it with you and malls??? DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
I'll tell you what my DAMN obsession with malls is and citys. Because growing up in the country-side of the central coast has been HELL!!!

there r white supremists all around, rich spoiled brats, and alot of competition between the guys and girls tearing down each other. if u are the least bit different the higher-ups pick on you, and treat you like day-old trash. just because some one is emo, or a loner, or a nerd, or not white, or not into being like everyone else doesnt give people the right to tease them. kids in the city r so much more legit than the kids around here. they dont care about what ur outside appearance or personality is because they are used to diversity. city kids are more legit and nicer than country boys and girls.

city schools may have gangs, more school fights, and more drugs because of less regulation and being over-crowded, but i found that stuff doesn't matter as long as you stay away from it. it's harder in the city, but for most kids it beats being ridiculed for who u are in the country.

the suburbs, semi-rural, and rural communities are all the same. the urban cities, ex-urban, boom-burb, and urban-rural fringe cities are all better. the urban areas have entertainment, families, and rock concerts going on in the weekends. and the schools in the urban areas have much more going on.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
up

Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is what classifies strip centers.

The proposed strip center classification scheme consists of nine classes; three of which have previously been defined by the ICSC. The remaining classifications are an attempt to more accurately classify other strip centers.
    • Tenant-within-an anchor center,
    • Power center,
    • Outlet center.
    • The supermarket anchored class is designed for those centers anchored by supermarkets. There are two types: 1) the supermarket anchor and (2) the supermarket plus the junior department store anchor.
    • The discount anchored centers are anchored by either a discount department store or a warehouse club.
    • The combination center consists of two anchors. The combination anchors can be the supermarket, the discount department store, or a vacant anchor.
    • The vacant anchored center is the bridge between the old strip and the new strip.
    • The unusual strip center class is designed to accommodate those strip centers that are just a bit odd. However, if the anchor definitions were manipulated, these centers could fit in one of the previous classes.
    • Finally, the non-strip classification is a category for those centers that look like a strip, act like a strip, but are not quite a strip. A majority of these centers began as strips, then underwent modifications to become enclosed malls, but were never completely enclosed.
this is very interesting information....im having some trouble understanding it though. oh well.

Also, I obviously realize my dreams of a mall coming to this county r dead with the economy never going to be as good as it was when I started my dream, and the city council in SLO being anti-growth now.

Hey, on the bright side after this recession or depression were getting Lowe's in Paso Robles (Golden Hills Plaza), new theater in Atascadero (Colony Square Center), Wal-Mart Supercenter in Atascadero (The Annex), and a Target in San Luis Obispo (Prefumo Creek Commons). Also, TJ Max is rumored to replace LinenNThings and 24 Hr Fitness is rumored to replace Circuit City. And Big!Lots is replacing Office Deposit in Atascadero this month. And all of these projects have been approved. All except the Golden Hills Plaza have started the Rough Draft of the EIR, and Golden Hills Plaza started construction last year.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'll tell you what my DAMN obsession with malls is and citys. Because growing up in the country-side of the central coast has been HELL!!!

there r white supremists all around, rich spoiled brats, and alot of competition between the guys and girls tearing down each other. if u are the least bit different the higher-ups pick on you, and treat you like day-old trash. just because some one is emo, or a loner, or a nerd, or not white, or not into being like everyone else doesnt give people the right to tease them. kids in the city r so much more legit than the kids around here. they dont care about what ur outside appearance or personality is because they are used to diversity. city kids are more legit and nicer than country boys and girls.

city schools may have gangs, more school fights, and more drugs because of less regulation and being over-crowded, but i found that stuff doesn't matter as long as you stay away from it. it's harder in the city, but for most kids it beats being ridiculed for who u are in the country.

the suburbs, semi-rural, and rural communities are all the same. the urban cities, ex-urban, boom-burb, and urban-rural fringe cities are all better. the urban areas have entertainment, families, and rock concerts going on in the weekends. and the schools in the urban areas have much more going on.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:

As you get older you realize, it only gets worse.
Eventually you find out that all the protagonists that bother you are victims as well. And it brings no comfort.
One day you just realize, the hell with them and get on with your own life.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
The city, how old are you? If you are in high school, just study hard and then go to UCLA, so you can have the concrete jungle experience to the fullest. UC Berkeley is also a good bet because it is a very urban college town.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 AM

182 posts, read 927,417 times
To the original poster....
The term strip mall is a direct reference to a small grouping of stores and restaurants built in a strip next to each other, as individual businesses developed alone without a plan (such as stores scattered in areas in a neighborhood) or lately in a planned site as is currently popular with "Box Store Anchors" next to smaller stores, sometimes arranged in city blocks but more currently arranged as groups in designated areas.
Mall is a term developed to describe stores and restaurants arranged in a group with parking available all around it. Originally we referred to these as "Shopping Mallls" but through usage it became shortened to "Malls". These were very popular in the late 1970's and 1980's. A mall can be indoors where all shops are fully enclosed indoors under one roof so the shopper never has to be outside when walking from shop to shop. It can be outdoors where a person is outside as they go from store to store. Malls began outside, then "enclosed" malls became very popular so the shopper would never have to be outside in inclement weather. Restaurants were added and then more informal "food courts" further enticing people to stay at the mall for all their needs, spending more money there and contributing to the overall financial health of all the businesses within each convenintly located mall. In this time period, shopping went from a "need" activity to purchase needed items to a "passtime activity" for entertainment.
The mall can be a single story or multistories with parking underground or in structures all around the mall on a single ground level or parking in multi-level parking structures or a combination of all these.
The passage of proposition 13 in the 1970's is often pointed to as the reason for the decline in popularity of the enclosed mall. It is said that prop. 13 not only changed how we taxed people on their residental property, but also effected how we taxed commercial property, making it more attractive and profitable taxwise for cities to permit smaller "strip malls" rather than larger consolidated central malls. I have not done the research on this propostion so cannot state this with certainty as a fact for why cities (government) now prefer strip malls.
I can say with certainty that I prefer malls and "downtown" shopping areas to the scattered urban sprawl we have now where we go to this location for these stores and that location for those stores.... Just my personal opinion.
I hope this helps answer your question.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
this is very interesting information....im having some trouble understanding it though. oh well.

Your kidding me right? You wanted to know what makes up a strip mall, strip center, and I gave you information on how the industry refers to strip centers, strip malls ect and you don't understand it?

You mentioned the Esplanade in Oxnard as being a strip center. If you were to drive south on Esplenade Drive to Vineyard Ave and take a right on to Vineyard you would run into another example of a stip center. Drive up Vineyard to Oxnard Blvd, look toward the Carls Jr. Resteraunt and guess what, another stip center. That is three in a one mile area. Each are differant but meet the guidelines that the industry has set. Another strip center is the Camarillo Outlet Mall. It meets the deffinition of a strip center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California